Last movie you've watched

Violent Night on Peacock. A wealthy family is target for a major robbery. The team is lead by John Leguizamo. It is very bloody but there is a resourceful young girl who still believes in Santa. This all takes place on Christmas Eve. The real Santa shows up and the violence ensues. I expected a really bad flick, but I thought it was great. References all over the place. The young girl does a bunch of Home Alone types of booby traps, some resulting in gruesome death. And this Santa wields a sledge hammer really well.

Watched You People on Netflix. Great cast but only a meh movie. Young people from different cultures fall in love but in-laws are problematic. A bit like Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner or Meet the Fokkers but not as good.

Also begs the question, why should lack of parental approval derail a partnership if two people are in love?

I think a lot has to do more with what sort of relationship one has with their own parents to better answer this question.

I think it is wonderful when one’s parents are on board with your choice of partner. I was happy that my wife and I both had close relationships with our own parents and our parents in law. However I don’t think I would have scuttled the relationship with the love of my life just because our parents weren’t on board.

but in the presence of the parents not being on board, continuing the relationship w a partner invariably harms/changes the relationship with the parents. so it puts the child in a kind of shitty spot.

Don’t dispute this but would you cancel your wedding plans at the last minute because you had differences with your future in-laws? This is the core of You People.

These differences didn’t come up before “last minute”?

Seems like some people need communication lessons.

1 Like

“The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent” (2022)
Good, light-hearted self-dig by Nicholas Cage, with plenty of Hollywood tropes.

Tar on Peacock. A lot of Oscar buzz on this one and I can see why. It has what the academy is looking for. However, it is a very odd movie. We see the main character, Lydia Tar, a world famous conductor slowly fall apart. Her character eventually starts to feel a bit like Harvey Weinstein. Is she really taking advantage of others or is she just a mean woman? Also, pretty long at 2:37.

Tar is on my “to view” list

“The Omega Man” (1971)
Meh.

The Menu - an interesting concept that probably didn’t need to be a full movie. I had a similar feeling with The Platform (2019). Not bad but I would have been fine skipping.

I see you are going down the post-apocalypse TCM movie rabbit hole. This movie had the same source material as “I am Legend” with Will Smith.

I am a fan of the genre, even if some have campy aspects. TCM does show a few others that are of higher quality than some of those shown the other night.

I should probably read the book, as I like the author (Matheson wrote some classic TZ’s).

For all the movies “based on” I am Legend, none of them really stick to the original story. All they really have in common is: there was a zombie-style plague, the protagonist believes he is the last surviving human, at some point there’s a dog, and eventually a young woman shows up.

None of the movies are as good as the book, probably because no one has the guts to stick with the book’s ending.

Reminds me of The Running Man by Stephan King Richard Bachman.

“Across the Universe”
Can’t go wrong with Beatles songs, but a pretty basic movie. Girl loses boy, other Boy meets girl, girl meets yet other boy, etc.

“Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Omg, what an awesome movie! Acting was spectacular! Leads did an excellent job, and Jamie Lee Curtis was game for the craziness.
They all deserve Oscars.
Including the editor.

Black Panther Wakana Forever. Definitely a sad tone to the whole movie though not that surprising given Chadwick Bosman’s passing IRL and having to replace the Black Panther. It was OK but not the strongest Marvel offering in my opinion, thought the original BP was much better.

Cruise of the Gods on BritBox. Stars Steve Cohan and Rob Bryson. They’ve done about 4 other movies together where they travel in a particular country trying the culinary wonders. This movie pre-dates the Trip movies by a decade and they are not playing themselves. They are 2 actors who were very famous for a sci fi series 20 years past. One is still successfully acting (Steve) and the other is a hotel porter now (Rob). It has a little Galaxy Quest feel in the way the fans on a cruise are treated. Took a long time to get to where it was headed and not that well done.

I’ll throw in another couple justifications for remakes, not that these are necessarily good reasons:

i) Viewers want a modern looking movie with updated special effects, better lighting and camera work etc.
ii) Viewers would like to see a familiar actor like Tom Cruise or Johnny Depp rather than actors from the 70’s or earlier that they’re not familiar with. To me this is the opposite of a good reason but the public does respond to known stars.
iii) Few theaters will even try to screen an old movie but the remakes do get on screens.

1 Like