Last movie you've watched

I agree that that is often the case. However some movies are more effective in the original black and white mode. An example would be one of my favourite 1950’s movies “The Invasion of the Body Snatchers”. The 1978 remake in colour with superior technology diminished the impact for me. The remake starred Donald Sutherland, who has been one of my favourite actors for decades, but I preferred the actors in the original version. Their anonymity (to me) in a film noir movie was just a better fit.

agreed, and i love the old Godzillas and King Kong, but i see some merit in a modern retelling

robin hood has been done, done well and over done

True Grit was good, but was it neccesary?

has worked well for star is born, multiple times

a lot of the old ones create a mood, that just can’t be recreated. or a star who did the role just right and any remake is cheap imitation

1 Like

+1 for Glass Onion as a fun, campy mystery. After getting used to Daniel Craig’s atrocious accent, it almost adds to the movie’s charm?

Bullet Train - worth the watch. I was more entertained than I was expecting.

A Trip to Infinity (Netflix) - Approachable discussion of infinity my mathematicians and scientists. I enjoyed this

Bardo: False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths (Netflix) - a mix of reality and imagination that needed to let you get grounded in the story, instead it started weird and lost me, when realty occurred

Decision to Leave (Airplane) - Detective falls in love with the suspect. Nothing new from that perspective and I am not sure if it was a Lost In Translation issue for me, but the dialogue was off, seemed they wanted it to be poetic rather than realistic. There were also some other time line jumps and introduction of characters to be explained later, but again with the language barrier it didn’t work for me

Lady Chatterley’s Lover (Netflix) - Good version of the classic story, not as sordid as many other versions

Roald Dahl’s Matilda the Musical (Netflix) - a good and enjoyable version of the story

She Said (Peacock) - well acted, solid investigative reporting story.

Slumberland (Netflix) - this was actually quite good, well done

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Prime) - not for me. To me the funniest (only funny) scene did not involve any of the primary characters

The Elephant Whisperers (Netflix) - Nice Oscar nominated short on a couple caring for orphaned elephants

The Martha Mitchell Effect (Netflix) - Good Oscar nom short. I knew of her, but not the full story

The Woman King (Netflix Disc) - Well acted but the story felt forced and went from no action to the action was a bit too over the top. Just not very believable

The Wonder (Netflix) - a nurse is hired to witness the miracle of a child who does not eat. I thought this worked well

Thirteen Lives (Prime) - Ron Howard has a way with stories where you know the ending and still makes it suspenseful. I don’t understand how this got no attention during the awards’ season. Really very well done

Three Thousand Years of Longing (Netflix Disc) - Love the stars, but it was lacking something. Well acted, but I didn’t feel the chemistry

Triangle of Sadness (Airplane) - No idea what this was going in, but ended up really enjoying it. Sort of a modern group version of Swept Away. There is a scene with very rough seas that I watched going through extreme turbulence.

Wendell & Wild (Netflix) - This was just ok, sort of Nightmare Before Christmas without the music or pacing

Where the Crawdads Sing (Netflix) - Surprise, surprise - the book was better. I actually liked the very last scene of the movie better though. This was good, but felt rushed and not enough character development. There are things in the trial (book and especially movie) that didn’t work for me. Felt like they wanted to capitalize on the book popularity, without giving it a Major production feel

I really enjoyed this one. I didn’t know the full story either: we may have much to be thankful to her for!

The 39 Steps on an HBO sub channel. Hitchcock from 1935. Reasonably entertaining given the limitations they filmed under almost 90 years ago.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (Disney) I liked it, but didn’t love it. Well done tributes to Chadwick. But something felt like it was missing, almost like there was no real lead character. I am confused by the timeline, with the UN out of NY, not really sure how it fits or if it matters.

Smile (Airplane) Had me jumping a few times and pretty creepy. Was better than I expected. Since the cop already knows the story, I could see a sequel with him ending the string somehow, she waited to long to try an unwitnessed suicide**

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (Airplane) Different and interesting, but not at 1 1/2 hours.

Tár (Peacock) I didn’t really care for it. I felt like I was watching a movie around the edges and never getting a full story. Even the beginning, these long drawn out (and tiny) credits with an odd musical overlay, was a just get me through it moment, followed by e-mails I could barely read as well. I went into this movie with my brain already disengaged. Blanchett has a crying scene with snot on her face, so she will win the Oscar

Did she go full snot? Can’t go full snot.

1 Like

rn

1 Like

Antman and the Wasp: Quantummania - this was a fun addition to the Marvel universe. I really like Kang in this.

1 Like

Violent Night (Peacock) I absolutely loved this. Die Hard meets Home Alone meets Thor. The characters were a good mix of the goofy and the straight. Extremely violent and gory. My only complaint is that with Beverly D’Angelo starring they need to mix in some Christmas Vacation jokes, unless I missed it.

Have been hearing much about Hayao Miyazaki recently so I just watched his 2001 masterpiece, Spirited Away, on Netflix. I am not generally a fan of animated movies but enjoyed this one. It would be a great fantasy movie for kids over about 10 years of age. Taking it on a different level, adults may appreciate its environmental and anti-greed themes.

Finally got around to watching “Seven Years in Tibet”. Great idea for a movie but it was a bit disappointing.

Just saw it tonight.
Really enjoyed it.
Don’t really understand the hate it is getting.

I imagine most of the hate is coming from the fully CGI world that 95% of the movie takes place in. Also, while I enjoyed it and it was fun, I’m not sure it was a ground breaking SH film that really advanced the genre.

And while I liked the new actress (4th one in 4 movies) who played Cassie Lang, it would have been nice for her to get some more character development since the young SHs are going to need to take over for the old guard if the franchise is going to continue successfully.

1 Like

I enjoyed it, just like I enjoy all of the MCU stuff - even the parts that aren’t all that great.

I agree with what you said about character development. It kinda fell flat in a lot of ways in that area.

Granted, I wasn’t really expecting a lot of that, so I just enjoyed the ride.

2 Likes

We watched Babylon over the weekend.

It’s okay. Seemed a bit long for whatever message they’re trying to convey. And it’s too exaggerated for a period piece. So not sure what the point was.

Saw Candyman last night. The Jordan Peele version. Pretty good - never saw the original.

I think was supposed to a metaphor for the death of the silent movies.