Last movie you've watched

Jingle Jangle, really cute and my foot was tapping along with the music. Will definitely watch again next year.

Ava, also Netflix. A story about an assassin who starts to question whether her kills deserve to die. Which doesn’t sit well with the organization.

It’s okay. Some good fight scenes. I wouldn’t watch it again.

I Used to go Here A newly published author returns to her college to do a reading from her book. Started slowly but I liked the ending.

Jojo Rabbit (2019). I’d heard roughly what the movie was about, so was expecting bad and/or offensive or worse. While not great, I was pleasantly surprised. The movie had no big surprises and, in fact, I guess you could say it was really predictable despite not being like any other movie I could think of. But the humor in the first half is pretty funny. Things, as you’d expect, get darker in the second half, but it never gets too … anything. The acting is really what makes it, though. Jojo is very good for the role, Thomasin McKenzie as the Jewish girl hiding in his house, a part that I think might be hard to get right, is really impressive. And the smaller parts were really good. Scarlett Johansson has generally never impressed me, but she get to step out of her usual part here. Sam Rockwell is exactly what you’d expect, which is good and really funny. The only part that didn’t seem right to me was Rebel Wilson. Her humor (or what they had her doing) seemed too over the top even for the premise.

Soul another well done Pixar film good for adults and kids.

Wonder Woman 1984 First off, there was some pretty good music from this era and almost none (maybe bits of 2 songs) made it into the movie. They relied on hair and clothing to set the scene. Music could have really added some additional feel to the movie. That said, they would have needed a ton of it to save this bomb. I guess the director couldn’t decide if this was a live action cartoon (it is at times) or a more serious statement on greed (it is sometimes). It just makes for a muddled mess. We laughed out loud at most of the absurd action scenes. Not what I was hoping for. The end scene was pretty good though.

It was absolutely garbage.
It’s like someone made Aladdin into a movie, but decided it’ll be cool to throw WW in there.

Watched Soul with the kids. Thought it was pretty good and the music was great. First Pixar movie without John Ratzenberger.

The last hour or so wasn’t too terrible. Hated the CG in the opening race. Hated everything about the mall scene, particularly the humor.

The humor for the change or era - throw forward and throw back was also terrible

Nothing looked natural in its movements, especially the whip

Summary

and why didn’t Chris Pine just miss him out of ever existing when connected to him?

I’ve read he’s in it, but it’s some mystery we’re supposed to solve.

Here is a lazy (not doing any legwork, I mean) article about it:

Here is one with a little more research:

spoiler

The blink-and-you’ll-miss-it scene in Soul occurs when Joe bumps into a fellow passenger on the subway. The passenger, a quintessential annoyed New Yorker, shoots, "Hey, take it easy, eh? " The character sounds like John Ratzenberger, and it may very well be him. If that’s the case, it’s the smallest part he’s had yet in a Pixar film.

Interesting. Might have to go back and watch that part to see if we recognize the voice.

Me too.

I watched it, thought it was pretty damn good.

Death to 2020 a tongue in cheek review of the past year with actors/actresses playing various characters (Samuel L Jackson and Lisa Kudrow for example). Seemed to try to hard to push buttons. Did not really enjoy it.

A Perfect Plan This is a heist movie. 4 people wake up in an abandoned warehouse and deduce they need to find a way to pull off a diamond heist or they will get blown up in the warehouse. A bit of double crossing along the way, but an OK movie. There is one scene where on character whispers something to another. It seems really important at the time but is never revealed.

Madame Toni Collette and Harvey Keitel as husband an wife (really?). He needs to sell his favorite art work to avoid financial ruin. They host a dinner party and find they have 13 people attending after a last minute invitation. They end up getting their maid to sit in as the 14th to avoid bad luck. A bit Cinderella, a bit mistaken identity. The reviews I read said they hated the ending, but I thought it worked.

watching Saladin. Egyptian movie on the crusades.

so odd to hear Richard etal speaking Egyptian.

I know same for other nationalities watching English movies, but this was odd

King of Staten Island Judd Apatow’s latest with Pete Davidson, Bill Burr and Marisa Tomei. I am not a fan of Davidson, he just doesn’t resonate with me. Glad I didn’t pony up the $20 to watch and waited for HBO. Davidson is the son of a firefighter who died on the job when he was 7 (now 24) and he has ADD/ADHD as well a deep reliance on weed. His life is going nowhere. This story focuses on how he handles his mom dating again after 17 years and how it impacts his life. It got better as it went, but still didn’t really enjoy it.

As I was reading your review I took me a second to realize you were talking about his character and not irl pete davidson. Don’t know the actor’s backstory but it sounded plausible. :smiley:

I think the story was supposed to be partly biographical, based on a photo at the end of his dad who appeared to be a firefighter.

Makes sense. I wouldn’t expect him to have much range, although I’ve been surprised by some comics acting chops in the past.

The Midnight Sky - medicre. Well made, well acted, it just felt like nothing new and dragged a bit

Tenet

Tried to watch it but could not hear the dialogue to save my life. My daughter had a friend over and it was pointless trying to watch this if anyone in your house is making any noise at all. You can’t hear it and every other Christopher Nolan movie I have watched tells me I need to know what is going on.