Last movie you've watched

Looking forward to “Black Bear” as Aubrey Plaza is awesome.

Just watched “The Force Awakens” and “The Last Jedi” fully through (had seen parts and wasn’t interested). My god so meh and so, “didn’t they do this in the original trilogy?” Except for the final trick Luke pulls, which was pretty sweet. Also, did Rey steal those ancient texts? Thought I saw some books in a drawer on the Falcon.

Will watch “The Rise of Skywalker” if it’s on D+, just to say I’ve watched them so I have the right to shit on them.

I believe this is the case. I’m planning on watching the sequel sequence sometime soon. Seen the first two, haven’t seen the final one.

Ava this a 2020 movie with Jessica Chastain, Colin Farrell, John Malkovich, Common and Geena Davis. Chastain is an addict (alcohol and drugs) who ran away to join the Army and is a trained assassin. Malkovich is her handler. She’s back in her home town, questioning her life. It was a pretty good action flick.

The Babysitter: Killer Queen This is a sequel to The Babysitter, which I watched a few weeks ago. I guess it is a little horror, but really more high school kid with a lot of blood, death and destruction. It was very campy, but it was fun.

The Hollies: Look Through Any Window is a documentary on the history of The Hollies. I like these musical retrospective pieces. I learned a lot about the band and their music. I like the old convert/performance videos. Fun to look at the clothes they performed in, especially when the hit the last 60s.

Mank. the story behind writing Citizen Kane. a great period feels and references, just not that exciting a story

Is The Babysitter the one where the kid doesn’t take the shot and stays awake? My kid made me watch that, first horror movie I’ve finished in a very long time (decades). Campy is apparently okay with my amygdala.

That is the movie. There is a sequel but I won’t spoil that for you. You can check out the trailer to see who is in it.

1 Like

Mank Let’s make sure Gary Oldman gets nominated for an Oscar for this performance. He was amazing. The movie was very good as well. Helps that I saw Citizen Kane not too long ago (sometime this year). It was interesting to see the political back story, especially in light of where we are right now. Walked away saying things just don’t change. Should be one of the best movies this year.

ZOMBIES on Disney+. A Zombie high school musical. A bit different since the zombies don’t crave brains as long as their wrist watch device is working properly. It was funny that the cheer squad was all that and the football team was the after thought. Not a lot of meat but fun. And there is a sequel.

don’t expect this all that much on zombie-themed movies.

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom - No doubt Davis and Boseman will be nominated. It was actually more his movie. He was so skinny, I am shocked no one knew he was sick, but it didn’t show in the performance

As for the movie, I liked it, it had some great segments, but was uneven and ultimately wasn’t satisfying, I would have liked more music as well.

Paul McCartney and Wings - The Rock Show Project This was simply a concert film from the tour that gave us Wings Over America, the triple album. This was one of my favorite albums as a youth, so I enjoyed the movie. I will say that the editing was not very strong with a lot of needless cuts. But very solid musically if this is your genre.

The Sting: Good acting, and a fun story with lots of twists. I saw it as a kid, and it mostly went over my head.

My only issue with it was that I had trouble keeping track of the characters. So many middle-aged white men… At least Robert Redford had blond hair, so he looked a bit different.

Ya didn’t folla?

Another Round This is a Danish movie with Mads Mikkelsen. He and his 3 friends are High School teachers. They read a study that proposes that we should live our life at a .05% BAC. So they decide to perform an experiment where they day drink and titer at .05%. They then decide to see if a higher level provides better performance as teachers. It unwinds from there. Apparently, the legal age to purchase alcohol in Denmark is 16, so the fact that so many of the students drink is not surprising. The film is supposed to be a statement on the impact of drinking on Danish society. If so, it isn’t pretty. Mads gives a stellar performance though and could be up for an Oscar this year. Saw it on Prime for $6.99.

Where Eagles Dare (1969 in USA)
The best machine gun shooters in the world vs the worst machine gun shooters in the world.

The Prom (2021) on Netflix.
Meh. Typical TV musical, involving a whole town that appears to be closetely gay. I mean, they all break out into song and dance on a whim. Even in a mall in The Valley (but not The Galleria, which has been repurposed, though the theaters where Ratner worked are still there, but even they’ve been moved and he no longer has a perfect view of Stacy at Perry’s Pizza).

I (re)watched Shawshank Redemption after thinking I hadn’t seen it before in conversation on here (IIRC). Still a great movie.

Also rewatched Master and Commander, another great movie.

+1 on Master and Commander. Would watch that one again.

it’s by Ryan Murphy. All his movies have the same ghey vibe.

Never Rarely Sometimes Always. indy feel, simplistic, understated, but this just worked for me. it made me think and feel.

views on abortion may skew how you see this, though

Holidate, a Netflix romcom.

It was funny. A nice fluffy piece to watch on Christmas Eve while making dough for a cinnamon star.