Last movie you've watched

We have the DVD for Tenet from Netflix and we watch with subtitles, so good to know we need to be following along closely.

1 Like

:iatp: -everything-

I have such a hard time without subtitles, but every hearing test comes back as full hearing in all ranges. I don’t know what the issue is, except maybe my family breathes too loud :rofl:

1 Like

We watch everything with subtitles too. We are old enough that I attribute it to age.

1 Like

Your speakers might not be calibrated?

I don’t know. They’re set up to go through some receiver thing and out to external speakers (although not behind us like surround sound).

I use subtitles even when watching stuff by myself on my phone with headphones, it might just be a security blanket thing.

Road Trip: Beer Pong I found this pretty entertaining. It went to places that were a little unexpected for a bunch of college punks trying to win the national beer pong championship. It did have DJ Qualls in it so that was a plus too.

Yes, Pete Davidson’s father was an on-duty firefighter who died at the WTC on 9/11.

He’s still getting mileage on that.

Locked Down starring Anne Hathaway and Chiwetel Ejiofor as former lovers on the outs stuck in their house/apartment in London. He’s been furloughed and she is a CEO of the European branch of a multinational company. I wasn’t impressed, didn’t feel any chemistry between the two leads. The concept of being stuck in the same place with someone you were intimate with for years could be interesting, but it wasn’t really. Then throw a crime caper into the mix and what do you really have?

Outside the Wire with Anthony Mackie. I had no idea what to expect going in other than it was a futuristic war movie. There are robots that fight along side regular soldiers, a lot of drones, etc. It is quite a commentary on the nature of war and what role other actors play in place of humans. I found it very deep and entertaining at the same time.

One Night in Miami… This is my favorite in the Oscar race for me right now. I haven’t seen all the potentials since most aren’t out yet, but this is really good. It is a fictional account of Cassius Clay, Sam Cooke, Jim Brown and Malcolm X talking about race, Islam, economics, etc. on the night that Clay beat sonny Liston. Put Regina King up for best director nomination too. Really powerful look at race in the early 60’s from the side of the most popular African Americans at the time (excluding Malcolm X).

interesting, Sam Cooke is the outlier to me. Was he political? Muslim?

He was really popular at the time and was just crossing over into “white” clubs. He had a song that the Rolling Stones took number one and he made a lot of money off it. He wasn’t Muslim and not a militant person. He was attacking racism from an economic viewpoint. If the timeline is even close to accurate, he released some more “protest” like songs after this night.

1 Like

like most things I over analyzed this.

I didn’t realize the meet up was real, at least feasible, even if the conversation wasn’t.

Godmothered :eight_spoked_asterisk: :eight_spoked_asterisk:1/2

A Disney+ original. It was okay, but no one to rewatch. It was like a female version of Buddy-the-Elf being an apprentice godmother trying to save the profession by helping one last girl find her “happily-ever-after”. Only the girl is now 40, single, with two kids.

It gets the 1/2 star for its creative use of Facetime.

While it does have a great “final message” about the idea of “happily ever after”; but some of the scenes seemed too forced (like the budding romance with Mr. Prince) or too quick to its resolution (one child overcoming stage fright).

Enjoyed watching it once. But likely will pass on watching again.

It could be described as “historical fiction,” since the events took place, just a little artistic license with the dialogue.

I get that, I was fixated on the quartet, which is the one part not really debatable

You could also say that Malcolm X was the odd man out too. He wasn’t a famous “performer” that the whites would want to see perform. He wasn’t employed, he didn’t have a marketable talent in the day.

Tenet This was really good. Glad we used subtitles, thanks. I only have one big question. Spoilered even though I’m not sure it is needed.

Summary

For the big battle scene, I thought that they went back in time (inverted) so why didn’t they need non-inverted air?

I liked it a lot more than you did. Just enjoyed the dialogue and character chemistry