Juneteenth

The real irony being it’s Italians whose ancestors came from southern Italy and Columbus was from Genoa, which was a separate country in those days.

1 Like

:rofl:

The floating holidays were instituted partly so Black people could take off MLK if their company didn’t support it, but also so that smaller minorities, like Jews and Muslims and Hindus could take a couple of days off without being questioned about it. I see the floating holidays as my Jewish-holiday days.

1 Like

The US really ought to sync up Thanksgiving with the Canadians. That would have the added benefit of making it easier to eliminate Columbus Day.

If we have to keep Columbus Day, then perhaps we should redesignate it Indigenous Peoples Day. We could even make it a movable holiday to coincide with Yom Kippur and make @ao_fan happy. :smiley:

2 Likes

The problem with that is, Thanksgiving signifies the beginning of the “holiday season” which includes christmas and new years. If you put it in October, it will no longer do that and the people will get uppity.

i’m cool with double dipping indigenous peoples day to coincide with yom kippur though.

If the retailers are to be believed, the holiday season now starts right after Labor Day. If we move Thanksgiving to October, the tradition will more closely match the reality.

1 Like

why don’t we get the biggest holiday off: lunar new year? there are more asians than jews in the US

1 Like

idk, take it up with the blacks who get 2 extra holidays now while we both sit at zero.

For shopping, yes. For the rest (parties, household decorations, playing Christmas songs without getting yelled at, etc), thanksgiving is still generally a good cutoff.

lunar new year also sits usually in Feb, the most barren season for holidays

I usually celebrate lunar new year. admittedly, not by taking time off work, but still.

i’m not even sure for shopping it’s true that it’s in october. there seems to be a massive influx of shoppers right after thanksgiving here when i walk around the streets.

There are much more barren seasons than that. not much of anything between 4th of July and Labor Day.

Nope.

I mean African American blacks, and fairly certain most of them are Christians.

where do you see otherwise?

thats only two months.

are there anything between MLK and Memorial? my old company also didn’t even give MLK until recent years, so it was completely barren between New Year and Memorial

No fall break? We have fall break. I mean, the schools do. It’s usually a Thursday/Friday but lately some districts add Monday. And one district times it with a certain college football game.

Looks like it’s going to start this year and thus tomorrow Federal employees have off.

I wasn’t expecting anything in tomorrow’s mail anyway.

It’s nice that it’s happening right away, but it’s also REALLY short notice, and I’m sure there are a bunch of people who are going to be inconvenienced.

Oh well. On balance I’m glad it happened quickly.

1 Like

I thought Columbus Day is slowly getting replaced by Indigenous People’s Day.