Juneteenth

Are you telling me that Passover didn’t happen on the first week after the first full moon after the spring equinox?

without taking another holiday away? they will just add one?

we get mlk. kinda doubt we will also get juneteenth, but if they wanna appear real woke, maybe. won’t be woke though if they take something else away.

is there a reason we need both MLK and juneteenth? do people think deeply about black rights on MLK day or just think SCORE DAY OFF! YAY!?

I usually listen to the “I have a dream” speech, partly because MLK day reminds me of what a great speech it is

3 Likes

Can we have a federal holiday every month? that would be nice. Thanks!!!

1 Like

Because they celebrate 2 different things worth celebrating (civil rights leader & end of slavery), so why not?

By your logic, do we need any holidays?

They serve as a good reminder.

my point is, we have christmas. why don’t the jews get one too? now the blacks get two. jews get zero.

why do we need presidents day? what’s that a reminder of? that we had a few presidents? ya, i know.

I’m ready for my agnostic holiday

“Are you sure there isn’t a teapot orbiting Mars? Day”

aren’t most blacks also christians? so they get christmas, and mlk, and juneteenth.

blacks = 3
jews = 0

My brief research indicated they usually coincide within a week, but there are years where they can be almost a month apart. Similar but different for western vs Orthodox Easter.

also, why is columbus day STILL a federal holiday? hasn’t it been determined that columbus is awful?

blacks = 3
italians = 2 (the christian ones who celebrate christmas)
jews = 0

Yeah, I think they are often the same week (as they obviously should always be) but then some years they are a week off and some years they are a month off. One of those issues is due to Rome vs Jerusalem and I forget the other factor that makes them off.

1 Like

I don’t think this is the methodology

If they’re going to add Juneteenth they really ought to subtract Columbus Day at the same time.

4 Likes

they should have subtracted columbus day long ago even outside of this.

1 Like

Not disagreeing, but when they’re adding a new holiday would be a particularly logical time in that it keeps the total the same.

true. people value their days off, so you can’t just take one away.

italian americans will get pissy if you take away columbus day, but to that i say too bad.

The more powerful lobby are teachers unions. Juneteenth doesn’t give (most of) them a new day off, and no way they’re going all of October 5 days a week!

The precise exact number of workdays is carved into stone in teacher contacts: usually 190 days.

So this only affects which 190 days they will work, not the number of days.

1 Like

I think before COVID we even had an Italian pride parade on Columbus day. They really love their Columbus day festivities.

The valedictorian speech when I graduated high school included a nod to the great Christopher Columbus. That’s one of the few things I even remember from that day.