Judge orders hospital to administer Ivermectin [now reversed]

1 Like

From the article:

But she trusts ivermectinā€¦ unbelievable.

I mean, I guess if heā€™s in a ā€œdefinitely going to die if we donā€™t do somethingā€ situation then I guess thereā€™s no harm in trying. But stillā€¦ the logical inconsistency is mind boggling.

Likeā€¦ you know what else is experimental?

COVID-19, thatā€™s what.

2 Likes

Glad the order was lifted.

I hope the guy gets better with or without ivermectin. But if heā€™s been on a ventilator since August 1ā€¦ :grimacing:

1 Like

I will also take this moment to note that my RN friend who refuses to get vaccinated due to the ā€œexperimentalā€ness of the vaccine also lives in Butler County, Ohio. This area used to essentially be my back yard.

I wonder what she thinks of ivermectin. Iā€™m a little afraid to askā€¦ might be better off not knowing.

A lot of my pro-Science Facebook friends in Cincinnati are making posts along the lines of ā€œif I get Covid while Iā€™m in Butler County will you please come get me?ā€

The county was getting a bad rep over this. I wonder if that influenced the decision in any way.

My first two kids were born in McCullough-Hyde Hospital in Oxford. I lived in Butler county for about 4 years in the mid 1980ā€™s. I have family in Warren County (the most republican county in the state).

Science has been fighting irrational fear forever.

Ah, good oleā€™ Kill ā€˜Em & Hide ā€˜Em!

I was never a patient there, but usually crafty enough to finagle a way to keep my car on a ā€œno-car campusā€. As such I was frequently called upon to drive people there during my Miami years.

I wouldnā€™t have guessed that Warren County was the most Republican in the stateā€¦ would have guessed somewhere in southeastern Ohio far enough away from OU to not have too many professors.

For example my on-again-off-again college boyfriendā€™s father was frequently running for state senate or various other political offices in Lancaster as a Democratā€¦ an exercise in futility. Nice guy thoughā€¦ Iā€™d have crossed party lines and voted for him if I lived in his district, which of course I didnā€™t.

You do realize ivermectin has been given to billions of people in the last 30+ years, has a remarkable safety profile with a fairly short elimination half-life (18 hrs), is considered a ā€œwonder drugā€ for its use in treating parasitic infections, won its discoverers the 2015 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, and is generally well-tolerated even at doses multiple times higher than the usual dose? That new uses for ivermectin are still being discovered, and ā€œoff-labelā€ prescription of drugs is an extremely common practice in medicine?

So ivermectin may or may not help against covid, but itā€™s very unlikely to hurt. Is it so unbelievable that someone might trust this safe wonder drug more than a new (< 2 years) injection without a long safety track record?

1 Like

Billions of people have been treated with ivermectin for parasites? Really?

Wikipedia says itā€™s been used to treat hundreds of millions for river blindness, and ā€œIn 2018, it was the 420th most commonly prescribed medication in the United States, with more than one hundred thousand prescriptions.ā€

Iā€™m pretty sure more people have been given covid vaccines than ivermectin, both in the US and worldwide.

Thatā€™s not to say it isnā€™t a proven drug with a good track record, when taken at normal doses for parasites.

And i gather that there have been some in vitro studies showing it can be an anti-viral. I donā€™t think itā€™s crazy for people to try it off-label. I hope someone is doing controlled studies on that.

But thereā€™s a lot more evidence that covid vaccines are safe and effective when used to prevent covid than that ivermectin is.

4 Likes

Link? That sounds, about an order of magnitude too high.

1 Like
2 Likes

Thanks for that BBC article. A question for everyone: Am I crazy to suspect that some or all of these faked ivermectin studies were coordinated? Itā€™s either that or I need to adjust my priors for how frequently medical research is fraudulent.

1 Like

Iā€™m interested in the same - maybe itā€™s a rush to get published in the face of a ā€œnew miracle drugā€, but there still has to be an impetus. And then of course, the gullible minority of people that just parrot it ad naseum.

Probably a simple case of ā€œfollow the money.ā€

Paywall, but the gist of it: Montanaā€™s AG sends a Montana State Trooper to the hospital to presumably force staff to administer Ivermectin prescribed by a doctor not connected to the hospital. Staff refused, stating the trooper had no authority to assert, and got harrassed as a result.

Starting to wonder if Ivermectin rots peopleā€™s brains.

Here is the article on Yahoo! news.

ruleoflaw people, amirite?

2 Likes

Hahahahaha. Can I send the cops to get my prescribed (and FDA/CDC approved) medicine which is being denied? That would be splendid.

3 Likes

feels like the best place to drop this.

hospital in NH started treatment for a guy admitted w covid. wife said she med medical POA and didnā€™t want that specific treatment offered. then she went and got help from the internet and the hospital was hit with lots of phone calls and maybe even a bomb threat.

so, the medical POA - you can choose a medically accepted option that is presented or decline it. But you (a non MD) canā€™t just pick the treatment or make that facility do something it thinks is detrimental. Is that about it? Even if you were an MD or otherwise qualified, you canā€™t force the facility to do things it wonā€™t do. At that point, if possible, the family should be advised to find a facility that will follow that treatment plan and the hospital will facilitate transfer?

why isnā€™t that option being publicized?