Job Satisfaction vs. What's Best

i think a normal person would be less happy as a splendid janitor than a so-so actuary. But what the hell do i know? I have done both btw

And you prefer being a so-so actuary while depriving the world of a splendid janitor?

3 Likes

me, personally, yes. I don’t owe the world anything

I would rather be a splendid X, rather than a so-so Y. Regardless of X & Y

Being splendid at anything makes me happy, even if a janitor

i don’t think you really thought your statement through

being a splendid janitor makes me happy too, but i don’t wanna do it for a living

Autocorrect

The daughter wanted to go to cosmetology school after high school but the parents made her go to college thinking that she’d change her mind. She did not so they sent her to cosmetology school after, regretting the waste of time and money.

1 Like

So let’s move the conversation (which I find interesting) to its own thread.

#modPower4Good

3 Likes

I have been thinking about this recently, especially given conversations with my 11 year old son.

I am an ex-Actuary, but same general idea: quantitative desk job. I make good money, but do not particularly enjoy it. Especially now that I work from home, I think the fact I do not enjoy is pretty obvious to my family. We ski a lot, and my son has talked about various professions around skiing (ski patrol/instructor etc.), and try to provide balance in my advice (would be fun, would be big economic challenge). I also recently had a semi-private lesson and was talking to my instructor about his life. Would I have been happier doing something similar, where I spend 130+ days on the slopes teaching others, but made a rather moderate income? Hard to know.

Think it is clear I would not be happy as a janitor, even if I were a tremendously good one.

Not really for me either, but won’t judge someone who is.

Some of the happiest people I know lead simple lives and have simple dreams. I’ve been trying to get to a simpler life because I think there’s something to be found in that. Not happiness, but contentment maybe?

2 Likes

I only work doing things I love. If I wake up and don’t like it anymore, I quit. And fairly quickly at that.
The trick is to find something that’s enjoyable, from the subset of careers that make good money. We aren’t limited to one thing.
Same with my kids. Do what you want, but you still have an obligation to provide a good life for your family. My eldest switched projected career paths halfway through school, with our full support. They don’t not make as much as their initial choice, but they still make about six figures and love their work.
The youngest, they’re not certain of their career yet, but their education and general path assures them of six figures.getting them there was my job, they still have to pick what they like.
But I’m an outlier here. Initially enjoyed the challenge of actuarial work but it quickly faded to boredom. And what I’ve done since and lived, most people here would hate.

Aside: this thread needs the classic twig tangent post at the top.
I had no idea what this was about until I researched.

She’ll get her advanced Mrs degree.

That’s an inexpensive trade school! More HS grads should consider a trade if it’s not too expensive either to learn or to learn on-the-job, and especially if it’s something they think they want to do.

i think “follow your passion” is misleading

instead, let your passion follow you

if you are washing dishes, strive to be the best dishwasher. Same if you are an actuary

disclosure: i was a so-so dishwasher

i think there is a basic assumption in this thread that an individual can only find one profession that they would ever enjoy. A better assumption is any individual can enjoy a great many different professions equally

I think the first is a general assumption of the world, caused mostly by popular culture. No way is it true.
The second is a much better outlook on life, and I recommend it.

1 Like

Eh, I am guilty of continuing the tangent, but I didn’t really start it this time.

I’m not sure why you brought up Mrs degree. Sure, my friend’s daughter probably will get married. Perhaps more likely given that she’s self-sufficient in a job she enjoys, perhaps not. But I’m not sure what your point was in bringing it up. :-?

My boss might not be pleased if I spend my development time on my dishwashing skills.

Yeah, but they’re the first to complain when the dishes have spots on them!!!

Happiness is generally tied to happenings. Like sadness it is fleeting. Contentedness can be had internally and is a true virtue IMO.

1 Like