Job Satisfaction vs. What's Best

All I care is they are happy. Wouldn’t care if one was a hairdresser,or any other respectable job

2 Likes

of course, but i’m not pushing it. Not gonna tell them to don’t go to college and be a hairdresser unless they really want it

in my experience, working my mind is much easier and profitable than working my hands. Is it wrong to try to pass this “wisdom” to my children?

To me being an actuary is based on an inate ability I was born with.

My kids, though good at math, don’t have it. Like just because you are a great musician doesn’t mean your kids will be musical.

No expectation of any being an actuary

if your child had an innate ability to be a janitor, would you rather he/she be a splendid janitor or a so-so actuary?

i would prefer the latter, but if they really enjoyed being a janitor (unlikely) that would be fine

ok, that’s enough ruining this “fun” thread

Depends. Are they happy doing it?

1 Like

if for some odd reason they were truly happy doing it, i’d be happy too

Oh, I meant being a so-so actuary. Lots of people who aren’t decent at being actuaries don’t really seem happy, and lots end up moving into other careers, either by choice or by force. I wouldn’t want my kid to be in that situation just because they think being an actuary is somehow better than being a janitor, if being a janitor is what they really wanted to do.

i think a normal person would be less happy as a splendid janitor than a so-so actuary. But what the hell do i know? I have done both btw

And you prefer being a so-so actuary while depriving the world of a splendid janitor?

3 Likes

me, personally, yes. I don’t owe the world anything

I would rather be a splendid X, rather than a so-so Y. Regardless of X & Y

Being splendid at anything makes me happy, even if a janitor

i don’t think you really thought your statement through

being a splendid janitor makes me happy too, but i don’t wanna do it for a living

Autocorrect

The daughter wanted to go to cosmetology school after high school but the parents made her go to college thinking that she’d change her mind. She did not so they sent her to cosmetology school after, regretting the waste of time and money.

1 Like

So let’s move the conversation (which I find interesting) to its own thread.

#modPower4Good

3 Likes

I have been thinking about this recently, especially given conversations with my 11 year old son.

I am an ex-Actuary, but same general idea: quantitative desk job. I make good money, but do not particularly enjoy it. Especially now that I work from home, I think the fact I do not enjoy is pretty obvious to my family. We ski a lot, and my son has talked about various professions around skiing (ski patrol/instructor etc.), and try to provide balance in my advice (would be fun, would be big economic challenge). I also recently had a semi-private lesson and was talking to my instructor about his life. Would I have been happier doing something similar, where I spend 130+ days on the slopes teaching others, but made a rather moderate income? Hard to know.

Think it is clear I would not be happy as a janitor, even if I were a tremendously good one.

Not really for me either, but won’t judge someone who is.

Some of the happiest people I know lead simple lives and have simple dreams. I’ve been trying to get to a simpler life because I think there’s something to be found in that. Not happiness, but contentment maybe?

2 Likes