Is White Supremacy a serious threat to the US, or is saying so a "darndest thing"?

Also worth noting that there was a neo-Nazi mass shooter about a week before Biden’s remarks, and a white supremacist march in DC this weekend (to which everyone wore masks even though the COVID risk outdoors is pretty low).

During the speech, a number of students stood with their backs to Biden in protest of white supremacy. Yet how dare he spend 2-3 sentences in a 26 minute speech talking about it?

3 Likes
  • This is a darndest thing.
    ** Which part of it is darndest?
  • No need to be immature about it.
    ** Immature about what? We just want to know what your specific point is.
  • The words speak for themselves. Guess I’ll repeat myself.
    ** But…
  • Fine, here’s another link that sort of hints at my point.
    ** Well actually–
  • {immature comments that are vague enough to be interpreted poorly}
    ** {Homer disappearing into the bushes}

…This is what you sound like.

All you have to do is say specifically what part you find “darndest” (because after all this, we still don’t really know so far). Instead, you immaturely declared victory in an argument that still hasn’t happened yet because we still don’t know what your position is.

This is not how you “own libz.”

4 Likes

Like everyone else here I wouldn’t call this darndest.

However, I think you get the benefit of the doubt.
If you (and everyone that watches Fox News) are offended by the statement, then it must be offensive. I don’t really get what’s unPC about it, but I guess it is if you say it is.

The closest I could come to understanding is the feeling of being a (non-radical) Muslim when the president keeps talking about radical Muslims. I’m not sure if darndest would qualify, but it’s possible?

1 Like

I’m not sure if government hackers qualify as terrorists, or concern me as much those who leave piles of bodies. But ok.

Radical Muslims and White Supremacists are pretty comparable in terms of damage/threat imo. Although I’m curious why you think it’s rude to dump on terrorists during a graduation, we could probably have a better discussion about which is objectively most threatening.

1 Like

and I believe the one year anniversary of the Buffalo, NY shooting

1 Like

Those are my words.

Those are your words and and thoughts and do not even come close to matching my words or thoughts.

This is a slur and at the very least requires an apology from you.

Yeah, it might just be hard to be sensitive to the slightest bit of unPC when there’s a raging asshole in the room.

Everyone’s skin is thick these days. You have to go pretty fucking far into crazy land to even make the news.

I know you and I often have differing opinions, but I’d like to take moment to Thank You for being a voice of sanity in a shit-storm of …

By the way - I don’t watch Fox. I cut the cable 10+ years ago. I don’t the think the subject was unPC - just a wholly inappropriate and pandering topic to being up in a commencement address. I’ll answer your other question, as I’ve tried to do before, I think a president who considers himself to be a “unifier” to bring up at a racially-motivated topic at a commencement address (typically a speech which is motivating and inspiring to the recent college graduates) about what he consders to be the #1 terrorist threat to America right now to be one of the darndest things.

It feels like I’m repeating myself over and over. I’m not sure how else to say the same thing. it feels like most of the other posters are over-reading and over-reacting. It’s true, this is a truly divided country where everyone seems to think the worst of peiople “on the other side”

1 Like

Someone here already mentioned, but - I don’t think it would be expected that his “unifying” would mean being friends with those trying to overthrown the government. But apparently you disagree.

2 Likes

Please read my posts. Read the words I wrote. Respond to the words I wrote - not the thoughts you think I thought. I didn’t say anything about being friends with white supremacists or people trying to “overthrow the government”.

I hate to do this - but I’m going off-grid for the week. It’s fantastic being retired and being able to go places with no connections. I’ll be back on Saturday. Enjoy your week everybody

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t know. I didn’t read the Biden speech, and I won’t, since it doesn’t sound interesting. And I haven’t heard any commencement speech besides my own.

Mine was Madeline Albright. It was probably offensive to some people, who either found her focus on gender or her foreign policy inappropriate. I mostly remember being super bored.

Anyway, the things you’re saying in this post makes sense, so at least I see where you’re coming from.

To be fair, nearly every day in America is the anniversary of at least one mass shooting and usually more.

3 Likes

That sounds wonderful.

Have a good week Ranger.

Mine was playwright August Wilson a year or so before his death. It was pretty good.

My teacher school one was Chris Matthews. He didn’t yell for once. It was actually pretty good and pretty neutral.

1 Like

I had 30 spare minutes this morning so I watched the whole commencement speech.

Biden was lucid, coherent and talked for half an hour without screwing up.

The comments about white supremacy and the threat of terrorist violence was totally appropriate within the context of the speech and got one of the loudest applauses of the whole speech.

Most of the speech spoke of how the next generation will shape the future. The accomplishments of HBCU graduates and how this administration has supported that.

Near as I can tell there have been three groups who have objected to Biden’s speech. White Supremacists, Right Wing media like Fox, and Ranger.

4 Likes

“…but I repeat myself.”
– Mark Twain

1 Like

Hey, they are decent, fun-loving Patriotic, American tourists!!

1 Like

Yes, you do. See: your reaction to Biden’s commencement speech.

1 Like