Is Tipping a city in China?

The world would be a much easier place without tipping. Just sayin’

1 Like

Cows would agree with you

1 Like

I thought that Gonzo would’ve been far too busy trying to make Chic-fil-A go out of business to save the chickens.

It’s near Point.

I thought it was near Cashonly

Luv that chicken!

Mayors name is Price. His concubine is Transparency

i read an article recently that tipping has increased for takeout. This is probably a combination of less in-house dining and people being more appreciative of restaurant workers during the pandemic.

I personally started increasing my tips for takeout order. Is this a trend?

I did when Covid hit. I also got my hair cut half as much and tipped my barber twice as much.

what does china have to do with this

1 Like

New poll on tipping in the US.

A few things seemed surprising:
57% say they tip 15% or less at a sit down restaurant (seems high to me)
Only 24% tip 20% or more at a sit down restaurant (seems low to me)
Only 70% tip their bartender always or often (30% of you aren’t ever tipping your bartender?)

Not surprising:
We’re getting asked to tip at more places now than before
Old folks are worse tippers
People don’t like the suggested tips, including those flip screens at fast food/fast casual places
People don’t like mandatory service charges

I’m getting tired of the mandatory service charges. Just tell me what it costs. I guess someone looked at how Ticketmaster operates and decided Americans wanted more of that.

And yes, I do avoid places that charge them. A burger joint I used to like started tacking on 15%. You order at the counter, you pick up your food from a different counter, and you’re expected to clean your table. GTFO, it’s already $12 for a burger plus $4 for fries, I’ll go somewhere else.

1 Like
  1. I don’t mind tipping, but that’s if I’m sitting down to eat somewhere. I recognize the value of someone else waiting on me, my server is probably getting underpaid and living on tips, and occasionally other patrons are assholes and my server has to deal with their shit and/or not get tipped. If I’m doing carryout, I’m not tipping; I’ve done much of the work, since 2020 you’ve not increased your customer service level to the point you should be rewarded for it.
  2. How much do I tip? I think of it in terms of dollars, so it’s probably >20% for cheaper places, <20% for more expensive ones. It also varies with the service I get, but if I’m out with Mrs. Hoffman and we’re somehow $60 I’m not tacking on $12 just because that’s 20%. If we’re like $27, I might round it to $35 so that’s easily over 20%.
  3. I hate mandatory service charges. Hell, I hate the “if you use a card it’s an extra 3%” thing. Offer that, I’ll never come back. Bury that in your prices somewhere so it’s invisible, don’t “treat me” to a “dining experience” and then tack that on at the end.

When I was in the US (early 2000s) tipping was at about 10-15% max when you ate at a restaurant (and not in a big group).

Now, 20 years later, it is already at around 25% for a sit down meal.

The tipping culture from the US is now also beginning to contaminate London. We have “service charges” at around 10-15% of the final bill added on now. The part that irks is that you are paying high prices (even without the service charge), while the service has not really improved (which is the point of a tip - for good service).

They have even started to add a 5% service charge on hotel rooms in some London hotels payable at checkout.

Is there an appropriate response I can select if I never go to the bar? Because I’ll select “Never” if there’s not an “N/A” or “I don’t go to bars” option.

Is this based on what “everyone else who tips” does?

Or some other semi-objective standard? (e.g., tipping at least 10% regardless of level of service)

I can see where the expected standard of service by “old folks” being a bit higher than what my kids would expect of their peers serving them. For example, my son (working as a waiter) mentioned the other day about getting better tips from the “old folks” when he interacted with them using my Dad-jokes.

Is he working at a nice place? Maybe he’s dealing with older folks, but folks who are more affluent?

It’s not an “upscale” restaurant. But he does talk about how most of these “old folks” don’t tip all that much in general.

They tip, but it amounts to something like 5% of a ticket. When he made the above comment, it was something more like 10-15%.

1 Like

When I posted this on FB, a programmer friend suggested that the ones on the ipads where they flip it so you can pay may be options in the software that they establishment may not know how to turn off. I responded, that often those type of establishments are the ones where the cashier specifically points it out to me. Though, he could be right. If you had a way to increase you pay would you turn it off?

The cashier wouldn’t turn it off. The business owner might if they believe it’s causing fewer people to shop there.

i always select a “custom” tip amount for 50 cents. Everyone is happy and it’s win-win