Is business class worth it?

2 Likes

Thread title answer: no, itā€™s not worth it.

Completely disagree. A strong sedative may well knock me out but depending on the position Iā€™m in I could be in serious pain until I can get to the chiropractor.

Do you get up out of your seat at all just to stretch your legs or go #1/#2??

1 Like

Airlines hate this trick!

I have only flown long haul round trip twice, LA/Sydney (maybe layover in HI on way back?). No problems in coach. I was in my 20ā€™s at the time. I think second longest was HI to ATL, redeye. At least a time or two for HI we had layovers, so canā€™t remember for sure.

Heh, Iā€™ve done Johannesburg to Atlanta in coach (as well as the other way around but JNB-ATL is an hour longer than ATL-JNB) and I do not recommend / will not be doing that again. At leastā€¦ not unless I become a contestant on The Amazing Race where Iā€™m required to fly coach.

I donā€™t get up unless I have to pee.

I get up every couple of hours on a long flight whether I need to pee or not. Iā€™ll just walk up and down, and pretend to wait for a restroom. My legs need to move.

2 Likes

My dad sprang for business class seats on my Europe trip, and even though I enjoyed it, I would say itā€™s not worth it. I generally canā€™t sleep on airplanes and I think I only managed an hour of sleep during the round trip. For me itā€™s best to watch movies, and the excitement of being in a foreign country and some pop is all I need to be wide awake the following day. Then allow yourself plenty of time to sleep in the first day.
The tickets were $3,000 vs what <$1,000. For that $2,000 I could get a lot more than some legroom and a couple nice meals. For me a supply of puzzles, movies, and games, and plenty of food/snacks/water is as happy as Iā€™m going to get for the next 8 hours and I can spend a pittance at the airport to stock that in my backpack.
I have on occasion upgraded to 1st class on a domestic flight but that might have been for 25% more frequent flyer miles and I probably saved it for the trip back when I would want it most. I have 100K miles on both Delta and American, and I can cross the Atlantic on American for 30K at a time (40K gets me premium economy, hmmm). Itā€™s more on Delta, so Iā€™ll use that for domestic.

1 Like

There would probably be far fewer emotional meltdowns if the contestants were allowed to fly business class.

1 Like

I donā€™t like sitting in coach. Iā€™m already not the best flyer so basically I view flying as a punishment for wanting to travel. business/first class somehow tricks my brain into thinking its a treat, and then I actually donā€™t mind flying.

Is it worth it? I guess for me itā€™s worth it about 15% of the time because thatā€™s about how often I find myself in 1st class in general (Iā€™m talking domestic because I can count the number of times Iā€™ve left the US on one hand).

One time I flew transatlantic with upgraded legroom seats ($40), and for whatever reason my seat (which was the first row of legroom seats) translated to the last row of business class when I got on the plane, and I got the full service treatment which was awesome.

1 Like

where is the lie

I have made that flight in coach. Itā€™s one of the longer commercial flights, basically like going to Europe and back again from ATL. Itā€™s pretty brutal. Last time I did it there was a problem with the A/C on the plane in ATL and they left us sitting on the plane in sweltering heat for like an hour while they fixed it prior to take off. There were a number of people that were already really fragrant before we took off.

So, you havenā€™t yet had the pleasure of a stranger in the next seat leaning against you, asleep, drooling. :sunglasses:

In fairness, I would agree that if I slept better on planes / if I werenā€™t generally a light sleeper, Iā€™d see less value in First/Business. But Iā€™m not, so ā€¦

Is this something you could post in the Insignificant Signal thread??? :popcorn:

I see some real potential with the drooling and the bodily contact!!!

2 Likes

I fly business class when I can. The extra room is worth it to me. Yeah, it makes the flight more expensive, but if Iā€™m going to spend the night in an airline seat, Iā€™ll pay for the comfort. Plus waiting for my flight in the airline club is more enjoyable, especially if Iā€™m flying British Airways.

My Facebook memory of today was of us on a plane. 5 years ago. Last time I set foot in an airport. I hope to make it at least another 5.

I never flew business class. Iā€™ve flown comfort + which I think is a step in between coach and business class, and totally worth it.

iā€™m trying to decide yet again if itā€™s worth the $100 to upgrade to it though as my cheap side kicks in.

I see that delta changed their policy in that you can now cancel at any time for flight credits? Is this new? I havenā€™t flown since prior to covid.

oh, and I refuse to ever fly American again, business class or not. Fuck American to hell. American, you can be hundreds of dollars cheaper than Delta, but you will never ever EVER get my business again, because fuck you. I told them that, but they refuse to stop sending me emails.

actually Iā€™ve flown British Airways from Europe to US on premium class, and that honestly is comfortable enough. Felt almost like business class. Canā€™t lie flat, but itā€™s spacious enough where it doesnā€™t really matter.

For domestic, getting premium class on Alaska is pretty essential if itā€™s a flight longer than 3 hours.