Innumeracy

I agree with BG: the difference in cost is going to be worth (guaranteeing) the more experienced teacher and the ability to focus on those weak areas.

“Group lessons” are likely required to stay close to a prescribed curriculum of instruction . . . especially if the teacher is not that experienced (in teaching, that is).

Good point; I’ll mention this to SIL. It’s not like they rank the instructors as more experienced or less, but it could well be that behind the scenes they are assigning the better quality / higher paid instructors to the private lessons.

Or it could be innumeracy. I’m still not completely discounting that theory.

SIL should also check that group sessions do not have a fixed lesson program for the week, which might not fit your niece’s needs.

Well it’s already happened that niece is the only student in a group class… with a max of three kids it doesn’t take much for a one-on-one “group” lesson to organically occur.

While there is a set curriculum, SIL has asked the instructor to please focus mostly on backstroke if no other kids show up and the instructor complied with the request.

Obviously if other kids show then they kind of have to stick with the proscribed lesson.

I doubt it. I did have insight on this with a business that specializes in swim lessons.

1 Like

Fair enough. I have no such insights so I will take your word for it.

I hope not. What kind of place is SIL taking niece to?

The structure isn’t quite as rigid as I believe you’re imagining it to be. It’s not the case of “here is the lesson plan and there’s no deviation from it”.

Rather, the overall program is often segmented into a sequence of skills and a given group is focused on one step of that overall program. The teacher has flexibility to work with a student who is “ready” for the next step, but a slot isn’t available in that group (during the same time slot; if one exists).

Then, factor in the number of students in a given group and the corresponding range of swim skills and ability to “stay focused” and “behave” when it’s not your turn. Having a “proscribed lesson” (that is, this group is focused on ______ skill) makes it easier for the teacher to then address the “other stuff” that isn’t necessarily swim skill related.

You have completely missed Marcie’s point.

2 Likes

imo, neither the “original” price nor sales price for the full year is a better deal than the 4 week at a time price. (Of course, maybe these are just “teaser” rates & after the first duration of either they jack up the price. (Sorry, Jack.))

Yeah, those are teasers that will not show up on the internet for you (or that particular PC) in four weeks.

Yep.

(12 + 1/28) * 15.16 + 2 = 184.46, which is NOT better than $99 for a year.

However,

(13 + 1/28) * 15.16 = $197.62 which IS better than the “regular” rate of $212.74. So if they ever actually use the regular rates then that’s not a good deal.

I mean, I guess I could add a leap year correction, but that still won’t change the direction of the inequality sign for either the special or the regular prices.

Dunkin’ Donuts pricing:
(VEW = Veggie Egg White)

1 Egg & Cheese wrap - $1.69
1 VEW & Cheese wrap - $1.69
2 Egg & Cheese wraps - $2.00
2 VEW & Cheese wraps - $3.38

2 Egg & Cheese wraps, substitute VEW for the Egg - $2.00

Maybe that’s not technically innumerate, but it certainly makes me :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This also happens at some McD’s locations. It’s like $1 for a cheeseburger but $2.50 for a double. So you’re better off buying two singles to DIY a double, and you waste a bun.

Or you can eat the free bun I guess. Carb-itrage.

7 Likes

:ctm:

1 Like

What bugs me is that you can get a hamburger for $0.10 cheaper than a cheeseburger. But, there is no quarter-pounder equivalent discount. If you don’t want cheese, you have to order a QPC, no cheese. Same price. (Or, more important to my interest, no double quarter-pounder equivalent)

Hmmmm. I also see, at least in my area, it’s cheaper to get a double QPC than it is to get a QPC and add a patty.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned this sometime on the AO, but…

A friend and I used to go to a little hole-in-the-wall diner near work for lunch quite often. He noticed that the grilled cheese cost more than the hamburger (might have also been more than the cheeseburger, I can’t remember exactly).

We asked the ladies that worked there and they said the prices were set by the owner. My friend got the owners phone number from them and gave him a call to see why this was the case.

The owner basically just said that cheese costs more than people think.

One of the admins that worked with us was in the diner at the time too - pretending really hard that she didn’t know us.

1 Like

LOL

Kinda like we do around here…

3 Likes