Innumeracy

The Tucker Carlson defense, yet people obviously believe both of them. Statements about reasonable or not have no bearing. People (way too many) believe them.

1 Like

Yes, and. She’s an officer of the court, or a member of the bar, or what have you. I’m not sure courts and judges are wild about having lawyers try to argue cases that have no basis in reality.

What did that article have to do with innumeracy?

I was replying to DTNF’s old post. I’m not quite sure it’s the aim of the thread but counting votes is kinda in the ballpark, imo.

Not particularly exciting but I like this thread, so bump

:joy:

Also, I wonder how less-than-best they’ll be at 12:18 AM on Apr 19, 21

1 Like

Original headline:

2 Likes

The good news is that several counties have an incidence rate lower than the national average.

4 Likes

It gets worse – about half of the counties have a virus incidence rate higher than the median average. :shake:

1 Like

:oh_noes:

So hubby used up the first of two CO2 canisters on the Soda Stream that I bought him on y’all’s recommendation.

Cost of replacement canisters at Target:
2 canisters: $65
1 canister: $30 :thinking:
Exchange: $15

So obviously we’re just going to exchange, but I’m curious how many people are suckered into paying $65 for two?

From Shawn Farquhar, via the Facebook…

It took me a few minutes but I figure out what they mean. I was pretty sure that I only give 1 pint of blood per donation and I’m sure 4 pints is only 1/2 gallon. But I got an email from the Red Cross with the following:

You might not realize the impact you’ve made, but we’ve been keeping track. You’ve reached the halfway point for your 2 gallon milestone. You should be proud.

It’s just another 4 units to reach your milestone!

Is a “unit” a quart?

No, a unit is a pint. What they failed to point out is I have already passed my first milestone of 1 gallon and am now halfway to my NEXT milestone at 2 gallons. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Well I thought a unit was a pint. Ok, your explanation makes sense, but that’s some bad phrasing on their part.

SIL was telling me about swimming lesson math:

30 minute group lesson with up to 3 children: $22.50 per kid

30 minute private lesson: $70

She wants some private lessons for my niece so she’s thinking about making up two fictional kids to fill up the other two slots and then the fictional kids will just happen to never show up leaving my niece as the only student in the group lesson every single time.

1 Like

The private lesson strategy may be different than with groups. And they may be taught by different instructors. (I’m thinking the better ones teach the one-on-ones.)

That’s possible… hadn’t thought about that. The desire for private lessons has to do with focusing on niece’s weak areas so that niece can advance.