Innumeracy

The innumeracy is that they called .100 a millisecond. I don’t care whether you put a 0 before the decimal or not it is 0.100 or .100 is not a millisecond. It is 100 milliseconds but that is not what they said.

the rule as is is dumb.

he did not start early to any human eye, trained or otherwise. the runners who just bust out visibly, i can see getting DQ’s on 1. those out with this technical “early reaction time” should get a 2nd. and that assumes the threshold makes sense.

1 Like

right

You learn something new everyday. An alarm set to go off before you do . . .

2 Likes

Th ere used to be a “report incorrect information “ button on Amazon but I don’t see it on the app

16.99/8<>1.06=16.99/16

3 Likes

The cooking oil she uses daily went from $11 per gallon to $26. A case of raw chicken went from $15 before the pandemic to $125 currently.

From what I have been able to find, a case of chicken is 40lbs. So the price per pound went from 0.375 to 3.125.

Now I’m beginning to wonder if the lady said 50 to 125 and the reporter misunderstood the accent?

1 Like

$15 for 40 pounds is cheaper than bottled water. Walmart is charging $29 for 40 half-liters (approx 1.1 pounds x 40) of bottled water.

What does pi and the golden ratio have ANYTHING to do with each other?

They are both numbers?

There’s some fun geometry in there. Basically pi is like the limit of the golden ratio when you use more sides in your polygon.

1 Like

Not really innumeracy, but somewhat related:

https://twitter.com/standupmaths/status/1562555323776307200?s=20&t=0a19G82k1wBPYl2TY4vL5g

What are the typos?

I’m confused by Great Britain. They use miles and pints, but I guess most other stuff is metric???

That said, in the US we have completely converted to metric for wine and liquor. I think I was in my 30s before I realized that “a fifth” meant a fifth of a gallon. I just knew people referred to 750 mL bottles as “fifths” without understanding why. :woman_facepalming:

I’m not entirely sure what he’s referring to. Maybe something about the capitalization of the "in"s? Trying to put all of that into paragraph form looks really weird and confusing.

1 Like

Our gallon is 128 ounces, theirs is 160. Wonder how that shrinkflation came into existence…

Yeah, that doesn’t make it any less confusing.

That’s pretty much like it is here. However, government wants to change back to imperial for other things because of Brexit.

Was considering buying a sweatshirt today so I looked at the fabric details. It’s 60% cotton, 60% polyester

4 Likes

20% more for the same price? Score!

That has to be wrong. Anything over 100% is impossible