Innumeracy

Baffled me, too. I suspect a typo, and that there are 26^5 permutations you could enter as guesses, some of which would not be valid guesses since not in the word list.

Quite poorly evidently!

Honestly, I am good at math. I am poor at typing. 26^5. Shame on me!

Fair enough, but really far fewer possibilities since you cannot input a guess that is not a valid word in the Scrabble dictionary, I believe.

I’m not sure about plurals. They’ve said the answer will not be a plural but you can certainly input plurals. I don’t know if they’re in the Scrabble dictionary. Like the answer will never be “BIKES”, but you are allowed to guess “BIKES”.

Ambiguous wording in any case. BIKES is a plural, but it is also a third person singular verb. So could the answer be the third person singular verb?

Hmmm, not sure.

I’d say that a word like CACTI could be a possibility.

So would SHEEP and MOOSE.

And all of these are plurals.

RADII was on sedecordle the other day

MEESE should be a word.

What’s good enough for the goose, should be good enough for the moose.

2 Likes

how many five letter words exist? My guess would be a small fraction of 26^5

If I were sure “no plurals” was also a rule for Octordle, maybe I would have gotten today’s Octordle with a guess to spare. (Got this word with 2 to spare, but I still had 2 to go after it, and ended up with at least two valid possibilities at guess 13, and guessed right.)

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 9.30.05 AM

1 Like

What???

World Athletics — the governing body for international track and field — has a rule that stipulates any reaction at the starting line that is faster than .100 of a second (a millisecond) is considered a false start and therefore a disqualification. Allen’s reaction time was .099 — one one-thousandth of a second under the allowable limit.

This part seems pretty convincing to me that the limit is not in the right place.

How about, if you leave early (before 0 milliseconds) then you are DQ’d.

If you leave before 100 milliseconds but after 0 milliseconds, you get at least 1 more try, maybe 2 before you are DQ’d.

Change 100 to 80 and I’d agree.

I think this would not be logistically viable. Leaving before the gun is fired is pretty clear w/o any aids and the starter can end the race quickly.

The latter isn’t as clear and might require “instant review” capabilities; and ending a race “half-way through”–or after completion–and saying “oops, contestant in Lane 3 was ‘early’” isn’t going help competition in any manner.

However, adding 100 milliseconds (or whatever threshold is established) to that contestant’s time could be a reasonable “offset” to facilitate competition w/o unnecessarily impacting a contestant’s abilities.

I don’t know much about track competitions, but isn’t the false start signaled almost immediately? And then everyone restarts the race?

Or did this guy run the whole race, seemingly win the race, but then got DQ’d after the fact because of his 99 millisecond reaction time?

Yes

And as the article states, at one point they had a rule that said you are not disqualified until your second false state. Then they changed it to the first is assessed to the field and after that anyone who false starts is DQ’d. Now you are DQ’d at your first false start. But the false start is measured by sensors in the blocks that go off if there is a reaction within 1/10 of a second after the gun fires.

But the innumeracy was that they said, “.100 of a second (a millisecond).”

But they meant 100 milliseconds or 0.1 seconds which is 1/10 of a second.

Is the innumeracy that they did not put a 0 before the decimal, or put two zeroes after the 1?