Innumeracy

Yeah - it was deleted. I found it as a screenshot on someone else’s Twitter

but, fwiw, I did verify that “Joe Biden” (i.e., someone from his administration who has access to the White House twitter account) did brag about prices being lower last 7/4 → https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1410709115333234691

screen shot

Here’s where I saw the tweet

1 Like

I laughed at this comment

11 Likes

:ditto:

This video fits this thread too well not to share

This year the Farm Bureau says the cookout is up 17%.

I am realizing that a lot of accountants do not have any, ANY, excel skills. WTF?!
I guess they are given programs that summarize, but no manipulation needed beyond what they actually see. I am besides myself…

2 Likes

The accountants I know, (I have 3 in my family) are not very math oriented people, at least my my actuarial standards.

They think of Sudoku as a math problem. After all, they say, it is a grid of numbers. When I said that they could change the numbers 1 through 9 to letters a through i and the puzzle remains the same, they have no response.

For the record, I also have a HS math teacher in my family too, and I don’t think of her as being in the “math person” club either. She is a well regarded teacher, who just happens to teach math. But she cannot/ will not balance her checkbook, do her own taxes, spend any time learning about personal finance or budgeting, etc so I think of her as a non-math person.

I worked in the Stat and Math tutoring labs in college and feared greatly for the accounting world based on the accounting students I tutored. :cry:

Soduku is still a math problem. Just google “Latin Squares”.

2 Likes

OK, so combinatorics are theoretically in play.

So wordle is also a math puzzle, because there are exactly 36^5 possibilities.

I think the possible words are just those the girlfriend of the developer came up with, if 3blue1brown is to be believed

I’ve heard their beer song.

More than that. Consider the property of equivalency for Latin Squares . . . so the number of “distinct” soduku puzzles isn’t necessarily as large as one might think if they apply some maths to it.

More to my point to your “counter argument” of swapping out “letters” for the “numbers” . . . that doesn’t change the problem from a mathematical perspective.

1 Like

This was from a yahoo article about using coffee in BBQ rubs & marinades.

Sodium Hydroxide must be VERY acidic since its pH is over 15.7 ! ! !

And I bet there are MORANS who mix coffee with heated dihydrogen monoxide!!!

3 Likes

That stuff can kill you!!! …especially when heated beyond its natural limits!

2 Likes

Yeah, I have heard that in the west, they are systematically taking dihydrogen monoxide out of lakes and finding dead bodies.

Here: As Lake Mead Dries Up, Dead Bodies On Lake Bed Reveals Vegas' Murky Past

3 Likes

How do you figure?