I’m hosting trivia. Help me with some STEM questions

How many seconds in a day? (If they’ll have paper to work it out.)

Or how many minutes in a day depending on how much time they have.

$50 says there will be at least 3 people who memorized every single one at some “nerdy” stage in junior high and can get 7 or more, so their teams will be grateful for that.

laden or unladen?

2 Likes

I did that for constellations and their brightest star - I used this trick when I liked a girl tytt.
I even did the heavens-above iridium flare timing on a first date - "watch right there - point to the sky - I will make a star appear and disappear.

You’ve been dating your childhood sweetheart from grade school into college. Finally though, one thing leads to another, and you break up. Then you start working for NASA. You become an astronaut, and hop on a spaceship and travel to the nearest star, Proxima Centauri. It is a Red Dwarf. You plant a flag on Proxima Centauri b, then you fly right back to Earth.

When you get back, you look up your ex. It’s been 10 years since you last saw her.
When sees you she says, she says “holy shit, you look _______. What the fuck have you been doing?”

Oh, give them the Monty Hall Problem.

1 Like

Alternatively, if you cut a A Klein bottle in half “length wise”, what do you get 2-D-wise? (There’s a Numberphile/Cliff Stoll video on this.) Ooh, here it is.

…and also the state math problem.

never gets old[details]or does it??? :-?[/details]

Best advice, along with the similar admonitions in the thread. You are going to want to include STEM references in pop culture. The name of the co-worker in Thomas Dolby’s “She Blinded Me With Science”. An obligatory BBT question.

If you can do the following, it’s likely you are above average: Define mean/median/mode.

OMG. Stop posting. Right now. :wink:

Are you handling the soundtrack during the response period?
Some hosts of bar trivia use hint songs. I don’t always like that, but used sparingly it can be an additional “Hey, look at me, I’m clever” and it gives people a way to reason into the answer. Could be difficult with STEM theme.
Some questions can be called “Either you know it or you don’t”. However, if you write the question in a certain way, it provides hints.

Also consider variance, kurtosis, skew, and the oxford comma.

I feel confident that if 60 people show up to bar trivia on math night, 59 of them have no idea what a Klein bottle is.

45 of them can’t remember what a Möbius strip is.

ISWYDT

1 Like

Sounds like a personal grooming hairstyle

1 Like

Based on my experience with bar trivia, I doubt most people at a bar even know what a gaussian distribution is.

You guys are giving too many hard questions.

1 Like

How have they lived?!

3 Likes

even something like number of inches in a meter 39 most people assume a meter = a yard

Based on a Twig comment earlier - take the Roman Number DIV and divide by The Meaning of life in Hitchhikers. What is the name of a shape with that many sides?

I will confess to one of my more nerdy moments in bar trivia. What is the average distance between Mercury and the Sun? I didn’t know, but I knew the length of Mercury’s year, and Earth’s year and distance to the Sun, and Kepler’s 3rd Law. Which leads me to another suggestion: On items with large numerical values, give a range.

Actual bar trivia question we had last week: Newton and Leibnitz independently developed this branch of mathematics.

[OR]

Newton and Leibnitz both have a cookie named after them. What branch of mathematics did they independently developed?

…or something like that.

True or False: 0.999~ = 1.0.

What is the probability of winning the “Monty Hall Problem” if you switch doors?

how about name as many actuaries in a movie or tv series, 0.5 point each