I don't get air compressors

Should we do it here, in the air compressor thread? Or in the thread about being a millionaire?

1 Like

:lolup:

I would buy tickets to this event.

It is a lot freaking harder than you think.
I have tried in the past, in my younger/more athletic days and it did not go well.

Depends how much cream you start with. But no, not really. A quart of cream will yield roughly a pound of butter (four of the sticks / one of the boxes) you buy at the store. Or a gallon will yield roughly the same as a Costco 4-pack. Plus some buttermilk that you can use in pancakes or biscuits or other recipes.

I don’t like home-churned butter because you can never rinse away all of the buttermilk. I’m actually really interested to learn how the commercial places do this. So the homemade butter has traces of buttermilk, which will spoil much faster than the butter itself. This makes the butter stink to the point of being unusable even if the quantity of stinky buttermilk is so minuscule that it probably wouldn’t give you food poisoning or anything.

I very quickly gave up on homemade butter for this reason. But I’m told that if you want organic butter it’s cheaper to buy the organic cream and make it yourself.

But I buy non-organic Costco butter and freeze it.

And, it would be a lot easier to churn butter with an air compressor. (I think.)

2 Likes

Well that is an interesting thought. I guess if you used the air compressor to power something that agitated the cream.

Or, you know, a standard mixer works just fine.

We are trying to get cs to understand air compressors. “Churn butter in 5 seconds” might do the trick. Certainly might need a filter of some sort, but cs will figure it out, after he’s filled his car tire with the air from a bicycle pump.

3 Likes

Yeah, not sure why anyone would want to attempt manually inflating a car tire. Even the slim high performance tires would take forever.

It would be the equivalent of filling a bathtub for a bath using the sink and a tablespoon. Yes, it should be theoretically possible, but it is practically impossible.

Or, filling an EV with the 110V with an extension cord from a house outlet.

“I don’t get SuperCharger stations…”

If you’re just needing to get from 28psi to 35psi or whatever, it’s not bad. Much more than that and I’m going for the compressor. My bike pump is a pretty nice one, maybe that helps a bit.

I think it has a lot to do with the quality of your bike pump.

1 Like

I don’t get electric can openers.

Who the hell opens so many cans that you need an appliance that opens them, when a regular handheld twisty thing works just fine.

Progress is weird.

I don’t get food processors, like, do you not own a knife and cutting board, just chop that shit up.

I don’t get furnaces, what you too good for a fireplace?

I, too, prefer my slide rule.

I don’t get mechanical pencils, like, how much are you writing, just sharpen the pencil every now and then!

1 Like

Woah there. You have a knife? I’m still cutting things with sharp pieces of flint.

well la dee daaa… you own one of those high falutin’ pencil sharpeners?

Of all the items mentioned, this is the one that I have found doesn’t actually improve anything. It may be because I have only used crappy electric can openers but I have yet to find one easier than a manual can opener using my teeth.