I am going to buy this (these) today and reasons why

So we have a lot of hardwood flooring, the first and third floors are oak and the second floor is pine, zero carpet.

I used to go with the Swiffer wet mop thing, worked well enough but it was annoying (and kind of expensive) to change out the pads over and over. So I switched to a spin mop, more cost effective but also kind of annoying to have to keep going back to the bucket.

So on Saturday I got a Bona microfiber thing for $40. Functionally it’s like the Swiffer, it sprays cleaning stuff (?) and then mops it up and traps dirt. But it’s twice as wide as a Swiffer and the microfiber thing traps so much dirt I did the whole first floor and didn’t need to clean the microfiber pad. The microfiber thing is machine washable. Big fan of this thing, I’ll probably throw the Swiffer away. The spin mop will be used for the basement.

3 Likes

I have been looking for a decent mop for a while. This one might be worth switching. Mostly I just sweep.

1 Like

Steal a dustmop from the local high school.

2 Likes

Oh, and the liquid tank is re-fillable, you can buy gallons of the Bona stuff or put something else entirely in there if you like. It’s harder to do that with Swiffer, they try to make it such that you can’t take the caps off to refill and have to buy their product.

Bona makes a cleaner for hardwood and one for tile/LVP/etc. No idea what the difference is.

Yup…I got one of these when it was recommended by our house-builder. Would recommend.

1 Like

I do want a wet mop to clean and not just dust.

Years ago I did go all high school janitor, got a huge mop and a bucket like the one below. I thought it was pretty decent, but my wife HATED it, said it was way too bulky and heavy, and during one of our moves we donated it.

That brought back memories of my job during college.

We have a Dyson stick vacuum and then occasionally mop. Mostly we lowered our standards.

3 Likes

We have a teenager and a dog, my standards have adjusted.

We also got a cordless Dyson and I love it. If we had carpets I’d stick with my corded Miele, but we’re 100% solid surface flooring now.

Dog + dog door makes for a happy dog and lots of dirt. Really glad when the kid switched from crawling to walking.

With Swiffer I noticed it left a nasty buildup on my floor. I use a refillable mop now and use my own cleaner in it—one that does not leave buildup. But mostly I find it is so hard to remove all the dust that the floor just seems dirty. That is why I sweep more than mopping.

1 Like

So far, I have experienced very few negatives from this transition as well. Many life things changed instantly.

That too, it seemed to leave my floors a little hazy and sometimes a little bit… almost sticky?

I know it’s not “recommended”, but i just use a shark steam mop on my floors. They are prefinished oak. The surface water usually evaporates in a couple minutes and anything in the joints between boards has never been an issue.

2 Likes

I was not a fan of the crawling stage other than I could lie half-asleep on the floor and the kid was amused to crawl over me. Once they’re mobile and can pull themselves up, no difference in childproofing needs.

Sometimes it’s nice to know that they’re still slower than yourself.

If there’s anything I learned from Jurassic Park, it’s that when they learn how to open doors…

2 Likes

And when they figure out how to remove the childproof doorknob cover.

Dirt - a big mound of dirt - to fill in spots where the concrete folks didn’t and to patch up some low spots.

1 Like

I had to do this too. Wish they had left me a big pile of dirt to fill in the landscaping but they took it all away. Ended up just getting like 20 bags of dirt from home depot

Eh…she’s still in that phase regardless of ability to walk. If I’m available to be crawled, jumped, or flying elbow droped upon, it will still happen. It’s just a question of whether or not I’m willing to take the abuse from a bigger and pointier human.

1 Like

This is the best way to clean IMO. It works wonderfully for those with pets and children.