HQ Trivia is defunct

I haven’t seen any notice of how I can collect the $3.82 in winnings they owe me.

It’s a shame. Not the $3.82, but I enjoyed playing.

I played early on. I could never figure out where they got the money they gave away. At some point were there ads? I never saw any.

I think you can “cash out” by tapping your balance and then it will ask you for a paypal address. I have never tried to do that because I wanted to see if it would ever actually amount to anything. :rofl:

Are they not playing anymore?

The games are now much longer and the prizes smaller, so it’s much harder to win now. I’ve won on the shorter Friday night games a couple times lately.

There is some advertising and in-app sales.

[color=red]We all are told that CNN is regularly fake news[/color], but this says HQ is history https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/media/hq-trivia-shut-down/index.html There are also similar stories on some tech websites I’m not familiar with.

I got an announcement on my iPad yesterday that it was suspended indefinitely, and there was no 9 PM (eastern) game.

Oddly, I got a later announcement on the iPad, that I didn’t see until this morning, that there was something at 11PM or midnight. After dark, maybe. It wasn’t clear. I may check a few more days, being a glutton for punishment.

soyleche, I never saw ads, beyond there every show suggestion that you buy extra lives or point multipliers. Guess I can no longer use my extra lives, which I never bought but had a lot for playing 5 days in a row and rarely using.

Wow! Ok then. I just put in for my 12 bucks! :rofl:

I played semi-regularly. It was always about the entertainment; crazy that there were people who thought they could actually win big money.

The final show was an after dark version, which I missed. Which sucked because the after dark versions were sometimes outrageously hilarious, given how much they appeared to be drinking.

More on the final after dark HQ: https://techcrunch.com/2020/02/15/hq-trivia-shut-down-final-show/

Thread title is defunct, or obsolete or something. HQ trivia was back tonight. 10,286 winners split $1,000. They also made a matching or more than matching contribution to charity. I wasn’t one of the winners, went out on Q4.

This link confirms it is back, though it says the future schedule is not fully set. https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/29/21199070/hq-trivia-game-app-shut-down-return-acquired-gaming

At the end of the game tonight they said there would be a game at 9PM eastern tomorrow. It looks like I still have my $3.82 in winnings from before. I don’t know if I retained any extra lives. I did get one extra life in a gift drop box tonite.

1 Like

One good thing about the new game, maybe due to fewer players, you can now often see your friend’s answers (if they are playing) before the deadline for answering. Tonight I knew the first 4 on my own anyway, was running out of time and took a wild guess just before Serena’s same answer showed up. Alas, I also had no clue on Q6, and felt sure I wouldn’t have time to react to Serena’s, so I guessed wrong. She was right, and I was out. Could have used an extra life, but didn’t. Good news: I do have all the extra lives I had before the suspension, but I don’t plan to burn them when so many more questions to go.

GRR. Forgot to play last night, and playing 5 in a row earns an extra life.

Is that what that little ghosty looking thing is that appears next to answers???

I like the old school rules. I joined late tonight.

And - they still owe me $12!!! :imp:

Probably. It appears to the far right within the colored box for the answer. Yes, GRR, I know you joined late on Sunday. You probably would have known the answer to Q2, which bounced me. Surprisingly many missed Q1, which typically is a slam dunk. Maybe not quite as easy as the usual Q1, but should still have been over 95%. Most Q2’s are trivial, but I think that one was under 70%.

As to money, Matt Richards said they have it under control. People who requested cash outs (I didn’t) display as 0 due, but they will get paid. Or so he said.

Whenever I play, I post something in the chat like: Matt - where my money???

:rofl:

Serena did you just go out early (Q4 I think it was) because you thought I would know whether chocolate, apples or peanuts was common in Europe before the discovery of America, or did you just also get it wrong on your own?

T was saying “Apples! Apples!” and I hit the wrong answer anyway :rofl:

What was T saying about Q2 tonight? I felt very confident about narwhal tusks. Nope.

He said narwhal tusks. I said deer antlers. But he’s usually right so I went with his answer. :frowning:

So why did I go with your roundel tonight? I didn’t. You were so slow that time was about to run out and I just had to take a wild guess. In the future, get your answers in earlier.

:rofl: I was doing the same thing!

Then I laughed at you! “He was waiting for me and I don’t have a clue!”

Where were you? For me, out on Q1, but had I used an extra life then, I would have been out on Q2. Surprised by Q2. I had no idea which one was right (about Waffle House fries) but one seemed far more likely than the others to me. It wasn’t.

$30.30 per winner.

Wow! That’s a lot!
I was playing with the kids and forgot about it tonight. :woman_shrugging: