How to get my car to Hawaii?

Hi, you may remember me from my series of epic road trips that I took between 2014 and 2017. I have now visited 48 states and I still have Alaska and Hawaii left to go through. I think if I can get a leave of absence approved I can make it to Alaska in the summer. But how do I get my car to Hawaii so I can tell people that I drove through all 50 states with the same car?

You ship it there a la Radar O’Reilly.

You don’t have to get the car to Hawaii or Alaska to tell people you drove through all 50 states with the same car.

1 Like

I do not remember this. This sounds interesting to me. Do you have an itinerary I can borrow? Where did you stay along the way? I don’t want to end up at Bate’s Motel.

And double the price quotes, on the assumption that you also want your car returned to California eventually

I did have one scary overnight stay in Little Rock and I was tempted to just drive on through the night.

Can you bring a piece of your car, maybe even a tire, then you can attach that piece to the rental in Hawaii and now it is “the same car”?

One of my friends shipped a car overseas recently. There’s a lot of uncertainty around shipping times, and you’re pretty much going to be waiting until a ship becomes available, and it might take a while, so impossible to plan around it.
Queue up and wait

Car rental :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

OH! That changes things.

However, I’m not sure how one can drive “through” HI.

Perhaps a better turn of phrasing is that you’ve driven in all 50 states with the same vehicle.

But to answer your Q:
cheapest way to ship car to hawaii - Google Search

just rent the same type of vehicle in Hawaii, then you’ve driven in all 50 states in the same vehicle.

1. Go to Hawaii.
  2. Buy a car.
  3. Drive it around.
  4. Have it shipped to the mainland.
  5. Start all over again with your trip.
8 Likes

But if you tell them you drove through all 50 states, you’ll still need to be able to answer the question that will obviously come up - “how did you get the car to Hawaii?”

Did you have to hide behind the chainsaws?

1 Like

can’t say you drove in hawaii until you drive on all 8 islands. So you’d have to ship your car an additional 7 times

Disagree. This is like saying that you have to “drive to each part of a state” to say that you drove in that state. (Case in point: do you require driving on every island found in a state?)

I thought there were ferries that could take you from one island to another w/o the need to “ship” the vehicle.

8?

Per Wikipedia, List of islands of Hawaii - Wikipedia

but that article goes on to list 152 separate named islands and says there are more.

it was a joke, but thanks GoA!

2 Likes

James Bond modifications to your current vehicle.

Right. Look up Ship of Theseus