How to buy a nice suit?

Personally, I’m hoping to never wear a tie or suit/sportcoat again.

I have no objection to wearing a button-down shirt when I go into the office, or wearing “better than jeans” when meeting senior executives. But the day I need to do more than that is the day I start actively looking for a new job, or the day I put in for retirement.

I have not. Nordstrom, Macy’s, etc, will have women’s suits.
https://www.nordstrom.com/browse/women/clothing/work-suits

Women’s suits don’t have adequate pockets. And adding pockets to a suit with a woman’s fit doesn’t always come out so flattering. A bespoke suit is likely the best option for her, especially if she has a more traditionally woman’s figure.

I wear one of my $100 Tommy Bahama shirts. Or, if really festive, my father’s 1970’s Hawaiian shirt, worth (if mint) $350.

Just googling stuff to help out.
Could simply go to a men’s store and have a suit fitted (just more altering, oh, and have them put the buttons on the wrong side), but the pockets are generally where a woman’s breasts are. Could look for a jacket with lower pockets or perhaps under the arm.

No, I can wear men’s shirts (in fact, I’ve discovered that breast pockets are really handy) and I’m indifferent to which side the buttons are on. But I can’t wear men’s pants, the hips are all wrong. And most women’s suits are not designed in ways such that I can have pockets added. I do have some – the old Land’s End women’s suits were good that way, but most don’t work. But Macy’s is especially bad that way, and I have strong enough preferences that are far enough from current fashions that I’m pretty sure I will do best buying a bespoke suit.

1 Like

Bespoke or GTFO.

A decent sized city should have a good tailor somewhere.

Back when I had to wear a suit to the office every day I’d get them at Ann Taylor and I think they all had pockets. I think I had a cheap JC Penney suit that didn’t, but to the best of my recollection the Ann Taylor ones all did. Been a while and sadly those suits no longer fit me, so they’ve all gone to Goodwill. But if I was in the market for a suit and wanted to spend less than bespoke prices I’d start at Ann Taylor.

If you want the bespoke suit, by all means go for it. Just throwing out a lower price alternative.

The lands end suits had pockets, but i had to get a tailor make them larger, as they weren’t big enough to slip my phone into them. A lot of ladies suits have pockets more for show than to be used. Back when i wore a suit every day, Ann Taylor didn’t do a lot of simple pants suits, and i didn’t love their styling, but i haven’t shopped there in decades.

:thinking:

Cheap suit and new set of custom fit irons for golf or nice suit? The answer is easy for me. I know what brings me joy.

1 Like

I assume it’s the nice suit?

I’ve worn a suit 2 times in the last 6 years. If it brought me joy I’m doing life wrong.

1 Like

Well back when I was wearing a suit every day the phones were a lot smaller. :wink:

[tangent] We’ve come full circle on mobile phone size. They used to be huge and everyone complained and wanted them smaller so gradually they got tiny. Then they came up with video screens and everyone wanted them to be big again. [/tangent]

My daily suit wearing occurred during the “make them as tiny as you can” phase of mobile phone evolution.

1 Like

I never had a flip phone. I got a Treo to add mobile email to my pocket calendar/phone book, and eventually phone service came with that bundle. I still almost never make phone calls from my “phone”. (We live in a cell signal desert, and I still use a landline at home.)

Anyway, I don’t carry a purse. I need pockets that will hold my phone, my keys, my wallet, and maybe some other odds and ends.

get a half decent suit but make sure it fits. def get the irons fitted if you play 1x a week or so (or more).

1 Like

[tangent]

Anyone else keep thinking of the following with this thread?

[/tangent]

This is my desk, that flag out there is hole 14 on my home course. I play once a day some weeks :blush:

Not a full round, but I can walk 7 or 8 holes in the hour before dusk or first thing in the morning.

2 Likes

From this

to this:

2 Likes

Do you just walk out there and start hitting or do you call the clubhouse and make arrangements and such?