How to buy a nice suit?

Sold

1 Like

I’ve switched to not wearing a tie when I wear a suit, for the most part. Even if the collar isn’t tight, the skin on my neck is kind of sensitive and I often have a little bit of irritation there from shaving. And, for most occasions, a suit sans tie is still formal enough.

1 Like

IMO go somewhere in the middle ground. Men’s Wearhouse is low-quality. Find somewhere that’s been around for decades and sells suits ranging from $200 - $5000 and find whatever $200 or $1000 range you’re comfortable with. The place I bought from tailored it for me - not just hemming pants like Men’s Wearhouse. They also worked with me not minding I wasn’t a top-tier customer. Didn’t feel like they were upselling me, they were happy to show me the cheaper options when I said $2,000 was far over my price.

1 Like

A local place? Or a chain?

I think the last suit I got was $400 or $450 (maybe 6 years ago) and I agree. That was pricey for me at the time, but if I wore suits more than funerals and weddings I would be tempted to go higher even adjusted for today’s pricing.

Preferably local, or maybe somewhere that has 2-3 locations.

The kind of place a college student wouldn’t go for a 2 for $100 deal. And not Men’s Wearhouse, god. I rented from them for a wedding once (not my wedding) and my shoe just broke partway through. They didn’t offer anything for it either.

Point being is you’re looking for artisans, not the mens’ formal part of Macy’s.

1 Like

Just begging for a bot to come in, eh?

I would ask your colleagues where they go.

Any suit over $500 would have to be made of armor and last 20 years, since all big purchases are actuarially analyzed for lifetime expenditure, cuz actuary. I’d spill something on it, wear the butt portion off, walk through a puddle, etc.

Pay extra to make it a tearaway, you never know when you’ll need it.

5 Likes

I am pretty fortunate that my dimensions are pretty close to the fit model of my sizing, so I can buy a nicer suit off the rack and it doesn’t need altered. But I’m also a woman and can get away with a suit dress, which for me is lower maintenance anyway.

We all live in different states, the joys of remote work.

I would fly to Seoul and go to one of the tailors in Itaewon.

Bummer (but not really).

OK, then check your local yellowed pages (or Google).

Best suit I had was one that my dad got when he was in Vietnam (several years before the Tet offensive).

He and I had similar frames at the same age (~18/19). He paid something like $20US at the time (~$175 today).

Hand made to boot.

For most of us it’s been years since we last bought a suit. Your best bet is to find a lawyer - they know where to find the best suits

3 Likes

Hell . . . just make it yourself!

1 Like

Had a bespoke made at the Shanghai fabric market a decade ago. Suuuuuper cheap. Alas, I’m much larger now, and it got relatively little wear.

Buy one. Consider it part of the suit. Only wear it with the suit. Get the neck large enough to be comfortable.

I went to an engagement party last weekend that was “black tie optional”, and the venue required the men to wear a suit and tie, and women to wear something “of comparable formality”. Jeans and sneakers were prohibited on the premises. It was at “the university club” in Manhattan.

My brother says, “just wear what you wear when you dress up”. I said that when i dress up, i wear a festive t-shirt, and i was pretty sure that wouldn’t cut it.

Anyway, i am also in the market for a nice suit. Now that i don’t wear them regularly, I’d like one really good one that i can wear to funerals and maybe cocktail parties. It will have pants and lots of pockets. (Pants are soooo much easier to wear than skirts. With skirts, it’s always a compromise.) But i can’t buy a men’s suit, as that won’t fit. I’m thinking i probably need to have something made.

If anyone else has done that, and has advice, in curious.

I have ‘house work t shirts’ and ‘wear to work t shirts.’ I have been buying Patagonia polo type shirts lately, they are super comfortable and some days I feel like wearing something nicer / more formal than a Pink Floyd shirt to work.

I’d probably wear a t-shirt with a nice fitted jacket. Or maybe a polo instead of a t-shirt.