House of the Dragon (no spoilers)

They are a very rich house. That’s why Otto is The Hand.

Aside: man, AWOIAF website is doing a number on my work PC, going black for a second or so, but VERY frequently. (Though ESPN.com is also doing the same thing, but with less frequency.

Ah. Yeah I guess they are kind of important too. Still seems like not the best move alliancewise.

Agreed. While we 21st Century folks are all icky-gross at the 11 year-old getting married, it was probably the optimal choice, and Viserys would need a second “hand of the king” to take care of things for approximately three years.

But Alicent is someone she knows, likes, and trusts, so the choice could be far worse. I was half expecting Rhaenyra herself to be a consideration, so Alicent seems like a decent choice. After all, she spends time with him playing with his toy dragons. WTF did Rhaenyra think was going on there?

Wouldn’t anybody find this pervy, even Rhaenyra?

Otto is the hand, and has been pretty darn responsible by doing “handy” things, assisting yet deferring to the king, keeping Daemon in check, bravely going to Dragonstone to retrieve the egg, etc. I see Otto as being a more legit hand than Viserys is a legit king. Viserys is kinda wimpy for a king.

I think Rhaenyra shows that she knows this is the goal of any marriage of her father.

He loved Aemma. He seems to at least like Alicent. And he may actually feel creepy about Laena. And he at least is aware of the fact that Daemon hates his politically arranged marriage to his own wife.

Do I understand that Daemon’s wife is from the Vale by is not an Arryn?

As DTFN noted above, no they didn’t have the same aversion to child marriage that we do and she wasn’t expected to sleep with him until the ripe old age of 14!

Do I understand that Daemon’s wife is from the Vale by is not an Arryn?

Correct. Rhea Royce, one of the Vale’s banner houses. The castle is Ruinstone on the the coast. A lttle below the 3 fingers from where Peter Baylish came.

I still don’t understand Rhaenyra’s attitude against her dad’s marriage to Alicent.

Is it just a matter of time until Rhaenyra get’s to see Cristen Cole’s, ummm, broadsword?

They certainly are moving swiftly through time. Aegon is 2. Rhaenyra seems to be a pouty, stubborn teen-child.

Crabfeeder, so long and thank for all the fish. It seems like we hardly knew you. Do you remember when you said "… "? No I don’t remember you having a single word of dialog either.

2 Likes

Just in case anyone hasn’t been sticking around after the credits, they’ve been doing the “Inside the episode” pieces where the showrunners talk about the episode in more detail.

Rheanerya all grown up.

1 Like

I was meh on this show until last night. Now im all in.

1 Like

Poor Daemon, having E.D. (Twice this season so far, must be the inbreeding, though his brother seems to have no problem boring (into) his wife.)
What is unknown is whether he couldn’t start or couldn’t finish.

Rhaenyra all like, “Get one of those tearaway armor things!”

1 Like

Alcott, about the brothel scene (blurred, because this is a family site):

“Clare Kilner, our director, made sure that we hadn’t seen any of the brothel stuff until we were shooting,” said Alcock. “So, that was our first time walking through the brothel, and he’s guiding her through the room with all of these other bodies. So, that was quite shocking. You’re like, ‘This is kind of weird and silly.’”

She continues: “There were extras who we had just met who were like, 69-ing for 12 hours. It’s pretty gnarly. "

Rhaenyra will get what she wants, and she wants it now!

“I choose… the guy who made a solemn vow not to take a wife.”

Vow for no wife doesn’t mean vow of celibacy.

True, but I think that’s who she wants, and not just right now.

1 Like

I can’t recall from the books. But yeah she seems to have the hots for him in more ways than one.

AAAAAUUUUGGGHHH!! NO SPOILERS!!

Quick note: I have the book at home, and while I won’t reveal anything in particular, I find it a bit annoying that people making up a history of a fictional world decide to create different sources, and thus cannot agree on which version (a maester’s or a court jester’s) is more credible.

Oh yeah “IF” I did recall from the book or some rando website, I would not post it in this thread.

I feel anything that is actually on camera is fair game, anything outside that should not be brought into this “No Spoiler” thread.

Agreed. She has had the hots for him for quite a while on the show, but it seems pretty stupid (immature, I guess a few episodes/years ago) when she wanted him on the King’s Guard.