Honeymoon

Wife & I did a cruise back in the day (cabo san lucas, puerto vallarta, & mazatlan (not necessarily in that order))…it was a nice way for people like us to travel because you just sign up (& pay $$$) for things (shore excursions) and you don’t have to be knowledgeable about everything or figure things out.

Wife was put off by the on-boat showgirls-type entertainment. All I could think was that the dancer should really get that mole on her left butt cheek checked out.

It was a nice way to travel, but I wouldn’t do it these COVID days…or maybe I would consider it since I’m fully vaccinated…but probably not because they’ve probably seriously cut back on the cruise-experience…if they’re even available right now. Also, I’ve come to the conclusion that cruises are so generic/blah/sameolsameol…but maybe I should upgrade from the Carnival experience.

Okay, so here’s my real advice (take it or leave it (makes no matter to me)): find an island that’s a reasonable plane ride away. Book a room at an “all-inclusive” resort. Enjoy your time together.

This is probably what travel agents are for, huh.

1 Like

RN… :wink:

Make sure to take the 3 hour boat tour.

Hawaii just feels like another country, right? Some parts of Florida feel like another country, but in a very different way.

We are going to Maui in July, I thought about going abroad but felt like there’s still some covid risk that could cancel things with borders and what-not. It’s a tough calculus, you might really want to go to Phuket but think there’s a 10% chance that covid could put a halt on flights to/from there. What would lucky Tom do?

If you’re Costco members, check out their travel. During peak summer dates we’ve booked two trips with them, I couldn’t beat their price trying to DIY it.

Agree. I’ll add that Key West does seem like a different country as well.

Puerto Rico is a place that feels like another country, but will be unlikely to have any COVID travel restrictions for US citizens

Does PR have the problem mentioned above? I get why Tiffany might want to avoid that for a honeymoon, but PR is movin’ up my list fast for this reason. I may take my son to PR for a quick trip this summer.

PR felt a little closer to Mexico than Jamaica to me.

I have made 4 trips to PR: 2 for business, which were very short trips to San Juan only, and 2 for pleasure, which were out on the west coast for a beach vacation in Rincon. None of the trips felt like being caged in the resort to me like Jamaica did, but there are definitely some impoverished areas. I haven’t been back to PR post all the infrastructure damage when the hurricane came through a few years back.

1 Like

Niagara Falls blows. On one side there’s Buffalo, which is, you know, Buffalo. On the other side is Niagara Falls Ontario, so also basically Buffalo.
Now, the Niagara region is beautiful though. Full of wineries and stuff like that.

1 Like

If you’re looking to travel outside of the US, maybe Panama? An advantage to traveling there is that you don’t have to exchange currency. The Balboa is equivalent to the USD and they use both.

The province of Boquete is really nice. It’s mountainous, climate is pretty nice (not too hot like Panama City and not too cold at night). I went ziplining and took a tour of Kotowa coffee plantation.

I haven’t been to the province of Bocas del Toro, but some of my friends have and they loved it. They did more sunbathing and chartered boats, but you can also go scuba diving, visit nature preserves, go hiking, travel north to Costa Rica. It’s also a popular spot for U.S expats, so you’re bound to run into someone that speaks English.

Cabo.

Or this:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/28006681?adults=2&check_in=2021-05-06&check_out=2021-05-12&federated_search_id=c5b4f9ca-3554-403f-99aa-a72117533907&source_impression_id=p3_1618439820_djxAps6YKUedRSFU&guests=1

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/45505548?adults=2&check_in=2021-05-06&check_out=2021-05-12&federated_search_id=d81ef1ca-f65f-4031-b980-92a09cbab7cf&source_impression_id=p3_1618439912_o0p1RiawVFr2WB2U&guests=1

fwiw, I’ve never used a travel agent in my life…except way back in the dark ages when you needed one to book tickets for air travel.

Hawaii is basically another country. Every other white person there is a tourist.

Anyways, I vote to Hawaii too. I just spent the last week of Feb there and really enjoyed Kona (Hilo was nice too but if I ever go back I would just stay on the Kona side).

The food is AMAZING. I ate at Broke Da Mouth Grindz 3 nights in a row. 10/10 would fly back just for their garlic chicken :drooling_face:

But the water is safe to drink and you’re still within the US for assorted purposes.

For someone not near a MAJOR hub, it’s 12 hours to Hawaii.
By contrast, it’s 9h40m from ATL on Delta non-stop, or a one-stop in LAX at 11h38m.

It is a day spent just getting there, and, of course returning, which you will consider not doing at some point while you’re there.

Cabo is only 7.5 hours including a connection.

Come on pretty mama

Yeah asking actuaries about extravagant beach travel is going to get cheap actuary responses.

Nobody even gonna mention dolphins and/or dolphin rings ITT? For shame!

Why are actuaries so cheap anyway? I’m far from cheap, but I’m also barely an actuary. In any event, conservatism in your work doesn’t HAVE to translate to conservatism in life. You guys are rich - enjoy that shit.

Travel is something I am happy to spend $ on. Sometimes I go cheap, but I often choose some pricey options if I think the experience is worth it. That Little Saint Simons place I recommended above is pretty pricey.

Santorini was a fantastic honeymoon place. Not good now we have kids for obvious reasons but definitely fantasize about going back to visit one day…