Home Improvements

Do you go all benihana in that kitchen?

1 Like

Some teaser pics of the materials for the bathroom. I found a cast iron vent that exactly matches our originals. This bath was added and just has a cheap one now.

The stained glass will be centered over the tub. There will be light behind it coming in from south facing windows and I will also install a light fixture behind it to light it up at night.

And my vanity, a man in Michigan made it for me, with a matching medicine cabinet. I wanted a craftsman look in quarter sawn oak and I fell in love with this one. It’s finished in ‘early American’ stain which is what I’m using everywhere else.

1 Like

Very nice!!

Pocket doors. Stripped the paint (200+ hours total for the whole room), stain, two coats of polyurethane. Poly is still wet so the finish is a bit uneven here, I just finished.

7 Likes

Wow, those are gorgeous! Great job.

1 Like

Beautiful!!

1 Like

Is that for (one side) a formal dining room? Very nice.
I’m thinking about a pocket door for my utility room. New washer is way louder than it needs to be. There currently is no pocket door. There is a jamb for a hinge door, which might be a lot easier to install if, once installed, it wasn’t in the way of the washer. Anyway, not sure what is inside the wall that I’d put a pocket door (only one).

Barn doors are hella easier to install. Pocket doors are a pita.

2 Likes

Good to know. A barn door would cover the (very old, though digital) thermostat and a light switch. Maybe on the INSIDE of the utility room…ugh, another light switch.

Yeah, these doors connect the formal living room to the dining room.

Thought so. I had an aunt with an old house on Capitol Hill in Seattle with a Dining room like that.
If I’m ever near (closer than you than I) the Geographical Center of the Continental United States, I’d like to look you up and get a Grand Tour of your house!

Oof. Pocket doors require framing, you need a hole for the door to slide into. So you’d need to tear out part of the existing wall to remove the studs. Doable (assuming it’s not load bearing), but not cheap. Barn doors are generally easier, though it sounds like not exactly a breeze given your constraints. The other thing with barn doors is they don’t generally have any sort of a tight seal, so they won’t do a ton for soundproofing. Can you use a conventional door but swap the hinges to the other side, does that help or make it worse?

If you want sound attenuation, I’m told some of the newer doors with the foam insulation inside work pretty well. For more traditional wooden doors I endorse Baird Brothers, it’s what we put in our basement and they are nice and keep it pretty quiet down there.

Oh, and my pocket doors were constructed the old fashioned way. You have a 3" hole for the door, and on either side they did full 2x4 framing, and then plaster. So the wall is a full foot thick.

Retiled my upstairs bathroom with penny tile.

I did a shitty job.

I have never done tiling. I don’t do well working on my knees. But the smaller the tile, the more work that grouting seems like it would be. And it doesn’t get smaller than those tiny penny tiles.

Would be more work to grout. What may be more problematic is keeping all of the tiles level and flat across the room, I think something like a 12x12 tile would be easier to work with in that regard.

Drawback of 12x12 tile is that it’s heavier so can be a pain when tiling vertically.

I should crosspost to annoyed thoughts. This weekend I had to repair the bifilold closet door in the bathroom. My So kept janking the top pivot assembly out of alignment. They eventually broke the wood that holds the bottom pivot. I had to cut out the wood inside the door, glue in new hardwood framing then insert the bottom pivot.
Which lead to me to having to have the conversation about how about don’t yank the living **** out of the door everytime you close it, because I close it daily and have never had that problem.

The conversation went about as well as I thought it would.

Did your SO blame the door? My ex managed to somehow derail one of our sliding closet doors on about a weekly basis. Of course, suggesting if she went a bit easier on it, that may not happen. Nope, that can’t be it, door must be faulty and I should fix it so it doesn’t happen again. :roll_eyes:

I was going to guess that SpaceLobster was blamed for opening it in a way different than how “normal people” do.

I just think that the open door (into the utility room – just to note: utility room is only the washer and dryer, with some storage on top, and it’s mainly the path from the garage into the house) will not allow enough space for laundry use, and it’s probably why the door was pulled out (there is also a doggy door to the garage and one to the outside door, for the prior owners’ dogs, and perhaps the door was pulled to ease dogs entry/egress).
I’d probably want the door to be open by default, closed only when the noise is too much.