Home Improvements

For the music lovers: We added this to the downstairs rec room a few years ago.

What is it?

Nope! :joy:

6 Likes

White claw lol.

I was at a liquor store a while back and was in line behind about ten… presumably college students. I live in a college town, and many of them had on their KU garb. Every single one of them was just buying White Claw, is this all the kids are drinking nowadays? No beer, no liquor, just ten people buying 12-packs of White Claw.

Do you guys have any opinions on home appliance (washer/dryer/dishwasher) brands/options? Tempted to upgrade those in the next 6 months but seems difficult to get a good sense of what is worth getting.

Gateway alcohol.
They should have moved on to Screwdrivers and Tequila Sunrises by now.

1 Like

I recently replaced a 15 year old Kenmore Elite dishwasher with a somewhat standard level Whirlpool. There was not much selection at the time, but it is much quieter than my old one. It was rated at 47dBA and I can barely hear it when it is running. That isn’t so much a recommendation as it is just that technology has made the cheaper model better than one that probably cost 50% more back in the day.

It might be a bad time to optionally replace appliances given the supply chain issues. My dishwasher was on its way out. That was a couple months back, so maybe things have improved since then.

It makes me so happy to see those go to 11.

1 Like

Makes sense, thanks for the thoughts. Probably a good point on the supply chain issues, maybe something to hold off on for a little longer.

We bought a washer/dryer in 2020 and it was terrible. Wound up with just a cheap set of… I think Whirlpool. They’re fine, I’m not picky about these appliances honestly. We left our prior ones with our house when we sold it so it was kind of urgent.

One brand that I hear a lot about on places like r/buyitforlife is Speed Queen. Not cheap but they seem to have a solid reputation for holding up, if longevity is your jam. You may be more interested in features like steam cleaning or whatever is high-tech these days.

as noted a gateway. but the more “health conscious” young folks notice the efficiency of the claw. 5% and 100ish calories.

that segment of the market is already on the plateau if not declining. now there are premixed cocktails w booze (not the horrible faux booze “malt beverages”).

they’ll outgrow it I assume and make their way to vodka/soda w a lime.

I am old enough to have bought most major appliances at least twice, sometimes 4 times.

Some of the best appliances have been the cheapest. I had a great low end Hotpoint oven/range (glasstop electric) and a Roper fridge that was as good as new at 17 or 18 year when I left it at the last house I moved out of.

I just ordered a Maytag dishwasher, which had a 6 week back order, so I am using paper plates a lot this month. I only ordered a Maytag because all the appliances in this new-to-me house are Maytag, and I like the matching names. I’ve never ordered anything Maytag before. The old dishwasher was likely repairable, but I thought I would just go ahead and replace it anyway. It didn’t clean really great.

I had a bad experience with an expensive LG fridge, that basically died after 3 or 4 years. The whole compressor system was replaced free, even though it was slightly out of warrantee because there were lots of problems with that model. I felt lucky to dodge that bullet and I want no part of LG fridges ever again.

The best washer/dryer I ever bought was a Whirlpool, high capacity stacked unit.

1 Like

:laughing: I like the name consistency. You make it sound a bit like wine shopping and I’m browsing falsely assuming price is a useful indicator of quality

Yep! :face_vomiting:

Glad you added this, because that fridge is way too small for the beer lovers.

2 Likes

We bought it from a guy whose man cave was being repurposed by his wife and she was making him get rid of it. He was sad to see it go.

Needs to be a kegerator.

2 Likes

I drank White Claw for a bit a few years ago, but it made a weird smell ooze out of my pores the next day. Not sure if it was the seltzer or what but it was awful.

1 Like

I am not even a beer drinker, but :iatp:.

It should dispense from the Tap (swidt?) when the dials are turned to 11.

It should also play “Lick My Love Pump” in d-minor.

the saddest of all keys

2 Likes

I replaced the lighting over our kitchen island, when we bought the place it had some glass pendants ca 2000 that absolutely weren’t working for me. We scored these fixtures (ca 1915 or so) for $50, and it cost me about $60 in parts to re-wire everything.

They are a bit more colorful than the pics suggest, my iPhone camera isn’t doing a great job here. Added a fourth pic of one in the garage before the install that’s more representative.

3 Likes