Home Improvements

Given that it costs very nearly the same as the least expensive granite, I’m not too sure why anyone would buy it.

The only thing I can think of is you don’t have to seal it. I don’t find sealing stone once a year to be a big deal, maybe for some. Maybe I’m missing something.

Also, it’s taken me about 45 fiscal hours, but I’ve managed to paint the bathroom and bedroom, the common area on the second floor, and the stairwell. Walls and ceilings for all, plus in the bedroom I painted baseboards and casings.

I didn’t paint the sash because I’m having them rebuilt in a year or two and will deal with that then.

Might install some light fixtures tomorrow. I’ve got an antique one for the stairwell (rewired) and my wife got a stained glass thing for the common area on the second floor.

I like it. I think it looks nice. It doesn’t have the risk of peeling, like cheap laminate. It’s extremely easy to clean. It’s not as hard as granite. I consider the hardness of granite to be a significant disadvantage. (And i know people who’ve broken glasses just putting them down carelessly.) No, you can’t cut on it, but you can’t cut on granite or quartz, either, unless you hate your knives. And Corian tolerates higher temperatures than quartz.

I have Corian counters in two of the bathrooms, and really like it.

(One of those came with the house, the other i added when i upgraded the bathroom.)

I think we have gone around on this topic at least once already a while back.

One drawback i have with corelle plates and the quartz countertops this time of year is there is a lot of heat transfer from the plate to the countertop and food gets cold quickly. The vitrelle glass is thin and has a smooth bottom that contacts across the entire surface so that it draws heat from wet foods like a pasta or stir fry. It of course isn’t limited to a certain season other than it becomes more noticeable with the house 4-5f colder in the winter.

I should make a note of that and ask for something new from my parents for Christmas. Yes, poor timing, but we always struggle with ideas.

The problem i have with Corelle plates is that i have a tile floor in the kitchen. And when you drop a Corelle plate, it doesn’t just break, it explodes into hundreds of razor-sharp shards.

I hate my tile floor, but it’s too much of a pita to replace it. And it’s nice that i don’t have to worry about the chairs scratching the floor.

Yup, have been there before.

I’m not too bothered about the risk of something breaking or what it is like when I happens, it is a pretty rare event. I think we have all adapted to setting things gently on the countertops without thinking about it, and if something falls on the floor it probably ends up in more than one piece regardless of the type of floor.

Tall glasses seem to break the most often, and usually in the dishwasher when parts of the rack put stress on them from inside the glass. We just get basic glasses from ikea that are easy to replace.

They do integrate the sink and counter top perfectly with Corian. I do like that for cleaning.

I don’t think I’ve ever broken anything on a stone counter but I can see that being a risk.

I’m curious to see how I like soapstone, which is a really soft stone. It’s just for bath vanities so pretty easily replaceable.

Yeah, I’m also curious how soapstone feels in use. I handled a lot of it yesterday, and wondered if it’s enough sister than granite to make a difference with respect to other stuff.

We had kids when we moved here, and it wasn’t a rare event at all. And when a ceramic plate breaks, i just picked up the pieces and then swept the debris, and didn’t worry about it. When a Corelle plate broke it was a hazmat situation. Did i mention razor sharp shards? Lots and lots of razor sharp shards?

That was never a problem in prior kitchens, with vinyl flooring. Maybe a glass broke sometimes, but never a plate.

Curious if it’s soft enough to pass your ‘breaking glasses’ type of tests. I’m worried it’ll be too soft and will scratch.

I’ve been warned that it will wear and you just have to appreciate it for what it is. My Hope is that, in an old house at least, that character will be a feature and not a bug.

It might scratch. You can probably buff that out. I used to carve small pieces of soapstone into objects at summer camp, using just a cheap pocket knife. (Some soapstone is harder than other soapstone. We used the softest stuff, which i could scratch with my fingernail.)

I think you are right to just assume there will be some wear and tear, and consider it “patina”.

1 Like

I probably compensated by having the kids use plastic until an older age.

I have a pair of house shoes that i almost always wear in the kitchen so even if something breaks i can easily deal with it. I totally understand the hazmat situation. The few times it did happen they get to stand still or park on a chair until the all clear. Also helps to have white plates and an off white tile.

New lighting day. The little one is antique (and rewired), the stained glass one is a new one my wife bought.

2 Likes

My Corian looks similar to soapstone, only swirly.

Time period correct lights look nice in older homes, but i.also.like the look of new leds. And new.leds are a.lot brighter.

1 Like

That looks nice, ours looks like some kind of 8-bit rendering of a stone that doesn’t actually exist in nature.

Finish carpentry in progress in the bath. Stained glass will go in the center, the small niches are going to hold soap and shampoo etc. The tub will sit in front.

This is all rift-sawn red oak, and the top casings are three-piece guys that match the original casings in our house. This has exceeded my expectations.

4 Likes

That’s really pretty. But do you plan to have wood in the shower?

Cross post insignificant signals thread. :laughing:

7 Likes

He did specify “tub”. Looks like a painted wall. My guess is there’s a separate shower.