Helping "friend" with drug test

then why are you using alcohol as an example here at all?

Because it’s used as a valid example?

but people don’t get fired from their job for drinking while not on the job. this doesn’t happen.

My wife and his went on a beach trip together last month. My wife believes this will eventually blow over at some point. She doesn’t feel that strongly about the friendship anyway. Personally I don’t like his wife all that much - self-absorbed and obnoxious. We’ve had them over for dinner before, one of us would cook something and she would complain about not having ketchup, or she would say “I don’t feel like having this, let’s order in.” Drives my wife crazy too.

And I actually did say sorry in my text message to him at the time. It wasn’t much of an apology, but it was more than sufficient IMO considering what he was requesting.

Let’s agree to disagree. As I’m sure you know where this conversation is going and where it might lead us. And I presume you intend to stay on GoA.

1 Like

Some might say you’re being literally forced to argue.

I wouldn’t. But some might.

4 Likes

Exactly. I recall reading about some pilots who were arrested at the airport for showing up to work intoxicated, and I think they were subsequently fired.

But they were literally intending to operate an aircraft while falling-down-drunk. So much so that airport security noticed and called the cops on them.

So it seems reasonable.

I think in jobs that have specific alcohol use guidelines they have spelled out what is and isn’t allowed, but the rules are well short of “no alcohol ever”.

1 Like

I’m sure some might. So you would be right. I’m always one for logical consistency.

Putting words in my mouth.

I said IF alcohol stayed in your system for a month, would people abstain from it for life in fear of random drug tests. Do you people even understand analogies.

If I liked the job, I would give up alcohol. It’s better for my health and I’ve never felt a need to get smashed. But it would have to be an amazing job, because at least 99.9% of actuarial jobs don’t have random drug tests.

We understand the analogy just fine and are pointing out to you why it’s not remotely analogous.

Except that it is…

Yes they can, but they usually don’t. You’re employed at will, and if you’re fired for underperforming all they need is documentation from the boss that you’re not doing your job.

1 Like

Yup, that’s true, which is why drug tests are dumb to begin with, as it should just be performance based throughout. Not to mention most uppers probably make you better at your job.

So what if you get high in a country where it’s fully legal (not merely decriminalized) and then come back to the US fully sober. I’ve always wondered about that. Yes, at will employment is a thing and that’s all well and good, but it also removes the “well it’s federally illegal” argument and now you’re being fired for personal decisions. I feel less good about that.

Where’s TDA when I need him

Companies I’ve worked for have wellness programs for people facing mental health issues, including addiction, and substance abuse treatment should be covered by health insurance. It’s up to the individual to take advantage of them.

I’ve heard that a small percentage of pot users are physically addicted. It’s more of an emotional thing. If a regular user quits cold turkey the dopamine levels take several weeks to get back to normal. In the meantime, the user gets depressed and irritable, and for someone starting a new job that’s a tough place to be.

1 Like

Probably eating wings at Hooters

Yeah, once hired, companies are more reluctant to fire someone over substance abuse, as there could be lawsuits.

I know two friends who work for amazon that took advantage of this program. Kinda a coushy deal. You get like 60% pay and get to take like 6 months off.

That’s standard with any disability. The ADA classifies drug addiction as a disability.

1 Like