Help find a cure for COVID-19, Cancer, Ebola, AIDS, and other stuff

Holy Hannah, mbplatt has a monthly change of almost 7mm. What hardware are they running on.

:badger:
?!?!?!
!!!
We don’t need no stinkin’
?@#?!@

:cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:
in
:earth_africa:

1 Like

ARP unit on my personal laptop is at 94.7% after 2 days and 20 hours!!! I think it’ll go the full 3!!! :hourglass_flowing_sand:

1 Like

Take that, COVID!?@!?!!@!!

Dear 1695814,

OpenPandemics - COVID-19: February update
Feb 5, 2022 - Preliminary validation of WCG results are very promising.

Thank you for your support,

The World Community Grid Team

text

OpenPandemics - COVID-19: February update

Preliminary validation of WCG results are very promising.

Project: OpenPandemics - COVID-19

Published on: 5 Feb 2022

Background

OpenPandemics - COVID-19 was created to help accelerate the search for new candidates for the design of COVID-19 antiviral drugs. The project goal is to identify small molecules that bind to SARS-CoV-2 proteins by means of computational simulation. The most promising molecules are selected to be tested in laboratories of the collaborators of the OPN1 team. Molecules with confirmed experimental activity will constitute the starting point for the development of potential drugs.

Currently, there are two small molecules that have been tested in humans for treating COVID-19 showing good results: molupiravir and ritonavir. The insurgence of drug resistance to existent antivirals, as it has been happening with HIV, can be addressed with multiple, diverse antivirals. For that, the availability of multiple alternatives for the design of different antivirals will be crucial for overcoming resistance and address the challenges that new SARS-CoV2 variants may present.

Preliminary results are exciting

As you know from previous updates, the data volunteers have provided the OPN1 team with have led to the purchase and testing of just over 350 molecules against 3 distinct protein targets. And the results they’re getting from collaborating labs have been fantastic, the team has about half a dozen tentatively active compounds against each target they’ve pursued.

Once validated, these tentative positive results decrease the OPN1 team demand for computational resources (at least in the short term) but increase the wet lab work. Again, these results have to be validated, and additional characterization is required. However, as this followup work is completed the cycle will wrap back around: the design of future simulations will be optimized by leveraging the information gathered so far to hone in on what works and expand the set of active molecules.

The goals are to improve other properties, explore the diversity of the chemical space with activity, and characterize the important interactions more completely.

Current status of work units

CPU

• Available for download: 1,703 batches
  • 28-day average of 225 batches per day
  • Estimated backlog: 7.6 days

GPU

• Available for download: 1,658 batches
  • 28-day average of 965 batches per day
  • Estimated backlog: 2.1 days

Click here to learn more about World Community Grid’s monthly project updates.

1 Like

FYI

I guess cancer will get a break…for now…
muhahahahahaha!!! :evil_laugh:

Cancer, AIDS, tuberculosis, Alzheimers et al better not get too comfortable. Just sayin’… :rage: :hocho: :dagger: :bomb: :zap: :zap: :fire:

1 Like

Dear 1695814,

WCG Data Transfer Underway, Stress Test of New Infrastructure Scheduled For Feb 28th
Feb 9, 2022 - We have started to transfer data for all active WCG projects to the Krembil Research Institute. We are gearing up to start testing the whole system on February 28, 2022.

Thank you for your support,

The World Community Grid Team

I still have some WCG projects running, but good thing I also have folding @ home installed, so that I can keep kicking COVID’s :donkey: hee haw!

1 Like

no idea what this thread is about. Are you guys mining bitcoins with your laptops

It’s about the OP.

No. No, we are not.

what are you doing with idle laptops?

Mining bitcoins for other people. They just tell us they are using them to find a cure for diseases.

1 Like

I’m gonna add a temp project while WCG is being tested.

ETA: Holy :poop:!!! I have a Mapping Cancer Markers that’s only 25% done after 18 hours!!! WTH???

1 Like

From a different thread…Spoiler-ed because of Florida University.

1 Like

My personal laptop finished all its tasks this morning; the work laptop has about 1-2 days worth of tasks. Still gonna run Folding@Home while WCG gets transferred.

1 Like

The main desktop has this for processor and GPU.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor, 4000 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

But there’s another desktop and a laptop that chip in some too. I had my son’s machine on it while he was out of town for a weekend, and it’s a real workhorse.

2 Likes

Well that certainly changes the question from "can I afford a ryzen 9 processor’ to ‘can I afford not to have a ryzen 9 processor’.

I find it curious how a current mid-range desktop cpu can blow an older high end server cpu right out of the water.

Iv’e got a server sitting idle in the data center, I think maybe next month if my dev has some free time I should get it running on there. Plus I’ve got a spare desktop in my office should get cracking on that. Just waiting for a new cpu fan because the current one is just loud enough that I don’t want it running. And I’ve got a cold-spare server (well, actually I’ve got two) sitting in my office. Not sure how I could get those running, they’re not really something I can run at home because loud, and I’m out of rackspace in the data center. Will need to consider more.

1 Like

omg what are you guys talking about?!!!?!

1 Like

I tried adding Rosetta@Home to my WCG, but it’s conflicting huge with Folding@Home. Gonna detach the Rosetta@Home once the current units finish.

1 Like

I loaded Folding@Home onto my work laptop!! You go, little protein folders!!!

1 Like

Here’s the monthly update on World Community Grid points:

Statistics last updated: 2/27/22 23:59:59 (UTC) [many, many hour(s) ago]

Member Name           Points    Monthly
                   Generated     Change
mbplatt          168,367,034  3,298,146
KlaymenAO        154,677,988  1,694,902
1695814           75,265,959    815,869
Wannabe Actuary   58,484,865    303,044
Macroman          57,932,531    195,007
Actuarialsuck     29,975,909    127,126
yoyo_58           27,712,081    546,840
Breadmaker         9,796,607    196,573
meepbobeep         9,290,453    119,988
SpaceLobster       3,667,477  1,424,015
celalta              695,450     13,910
GoA_Kenny            177,471     89,849

Available WCG Projects

#NULL!

Here’s the monthly update on Folding@Home points:

Monthly
Name            Credit     Change
1695814     14,981,556  1,033,100
Rick_G       9,987,863     32,550
Breadmaker   2,831,022    138,232
macroman     1,831,218     30,649
Celalta        474,246    474,246
GoA_Kenny      391,147    189,654

Welcome to our newest member, Celalta!!! :party: (:beers: )^(1/2)

Typical Folding@Home Projects

COVID-19
Alzheimer’s
Cancer
Huntington’s
Parkinson’s
For a comprehensive list see https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary

If you’d like to join us in finding a cure for COVID-19, Cancer, Ebola, AIDS, and other stuff, see the OP ( <-- clicky clicky! ) for links to get the downloads

1 Like