Help find a cure for COVID-19, Cancer, Ebola, AIDS, and other stuff

Bold of you to assume I have taskmgr on any computer that I own :). Because I don’t.
I’ve got it set to 100% when I’m away from my desktop. On the server, I had it set to 100% cpu capacity and the forum was still running fine, but I started getting “danger will robinson your CPU is running away” from our monitoring software. So I scaled it back to to about 95%. Here’s the goactuary forum server right now:

And the forum is as speedy as ever.

Still no idea why I’m not in the team stats though.

1 Like

And related to another thread about upgrading the CPU’s on this beast, you can see that there’s 16 cores or ‘cpu’s’ on this machine right now. We’re going to 32 once I get the new CPU’s installed.

2 Likes

There was a privacy setting I had to change, it took me a while to figure that out, l see if I can find it again after work.

1 Like

One of the IT guys was doing a remote update on my laptop once and asked what was hogging so much CPU. Of course it was WCG!!!

1 Like

I make assumptions like an actuary pricing a never before seen product based on marginal, incomplete, & spurious data.
Are you one of those linux people? I’m not familiar with that OS.

Me neither.

Yes, I’m one of those linux people. Back in the days of XP I used to get the blue screen of death about every 6 months because I’m a power user. And that always shut me down for a full day while I wiped and restored windows. The last time it happened, I figured it’d be the last time MS would burn an entire day of my life, so I installed linux.
The first few years were a bit bumpy as hardware didn’t always work. that was probably 15 years ago now. I didn’t have sound for some time. But it got better and better, it’s been years now since linux is easily as good as windows, and arguably better for office use. Everything just works. All our computers are linux, including my SO who does admin, and our co-op students (and not surprisingly our developer as well). No learning curve, and I never do tech support any more.
It’s also nice for me because our servers run the same linux as our desktops so everything is really seamless.
To highlight how well linux works, I put my 80yo mother on linux. No more slowdowns, no more tech support ever, no more updates. I put her on linux years ago and she’s only had one problem - the version she had got so outdated that new browser stuff didn’t work anymore (she ran it for many years). I just ran an update, and done.

1 Like

Kenny found it for me - it was exactly what you described!

2 Likes

So, for those involved in this stuff - does all this computation actually make a difference? Doing anything valuable or useful?

I regularly post WCG-provided articles to this thread about progress they’ve made.

The homepage, way at the bottom, has three articles about results derived from the WCG-grid. I’ll post them here because I’m cool like that:

Did any of those actually change the world? I don’t know, but that’s kind of the point of research - learn stuff whether it’s useful or not.

1 Like

Ooh, look at that:

SpaceLobster \ 2x1 12/27/2021 \ 2x1 0:054:03:15:30 \ 2x1 200,435 \ 2x1 313

313 results for 200k points. Those points can be converted into a gift certificate for a free 8"x10" portrait at K-mart.

1 Like

Possible NSFW because of S-word.

Ha!

Today I crawled up from last place to overtake celalta in points generated. The new CPUs are working.

2 Likes

Anonymous is shaking in their boots!

I heard Space Lobster killed a website one time… :grimacing:

One time? i’ve done it numerous times.
Back in the early days I was at a different host (toronto star building on the waterfront in toronto for those that know the building). The host said I could go in and install my server in his rack. This was floor to ceiling servers in a column, all loud, all blinking lights. I installed my server in a slot, plugged it in, turned it on, and watched the entire column go black. I took the guy’s whole hosting business offline. He was pretty excited lol.
Turns out, he was using a cheap Canadian Tire consumer level power bar. My server tripped it. Which is why I think I paid something like $300 for the power bar for my servers.

Another time I was working on a server at home. Except I was logged on to a server in the data center (so the screens look identical). I was headed to bed, issued the shutdown command, watched it power down…and the server was still running. Pretty quickly realized that I’d just shut down my server in Toronto. That was a late night trip to dt toronto to do nothing other than hit a power button.

I’ve also done the linux equivalent of del star.star at the top directory. Thankfully, I have good backups.

1 Like

I’m closing in fast on effnine. Might overtake them in the next week or two.
Then I’ve got a heluvan uphill climb to catch meep. Like 4-6 months I bet.

1 Like

I heartily encourage you to beat my point total, because fuck AIDS, fuck cancer, fuck tuberculosis, fuck Ebola, make it rain in Africa and above all FUCK COVID!!!

I crawled above effnine today! I’m not sure if they’re even running it though, so maybe I didn’t overtake them so much as crossed a marker.
I’m at 1.7mm or so, long way to go to catch @meep at like 9mm.

2 Likes

I have it running on my personal laptop… which I pretty much use only when I’m asleep (I have it play my MST3k playlist, that I sleep to) – it’s just a little Lenovo thingie

So I assume it’s doing cycles all day long while I’m on my work laptop.

Here’s the monthly update on World Community Grid points:

Statistics last updated: 1/30/22 23:59:59 (UTC) [14 hour(s) ago]

Member Name           Points    Monthly
                   Generated     Change
mbplatt          165,068,888  6,867,690
KlaymenAO        152,983,086  2,822,391
1695814           74,450,090  1,092,850
Wannabe Actuary   58,181,821  1,072,545
Macroman          57,737,524    290,375
Actuarialsuck     29,848,783    489,912
yoyo_58           27,165,241    945,468
Breadmaker         9,600,034    359,636
meepbobeep         9,170,465    181,946
SpaceLobster       2,243,462  2,243,462
EffNine            1,750,671           
celalta              681,540     16,483
GoA_Kenny             87,622     87,622

Welcome to our newest members, SpaceLobster & GoA Kenny!!! :party: (:beers: )^(1/2)

This month, Wannabe Actuary passed up Macroman for fourth place.

Available WCG Projects

OpenPandemics - COVID-19
Africa Rainfall Project
Help Stop TB
Mapping Cancer Markers
Smash Childhood Cancer

Here’s the monthly update on Folding@Home points:

Monthly
Name            Credit   Change
1695814     13,948,456  618,829
Rick_G       9,955,313   10,550
Breadmaker   2,692,790  103,445
macroman     1,800,569   29,921
GoA_Kenny      201,493  191,583

Typical Folding@Home Projects

COVID-19
Alzheimer’s
Cancer
Huntington’s
Parkinson’s
For a comprehensive list see https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary

If you’d like to join us in finding a cure for COVID-19, Cancer, Ebola, AIDS, and other stuff, see the OP ( <-- clicky clicky! ) for links to get the downloads

1 Like