Help find a cure for COVID-19, Cancer, Ebola, AIDS, and other stuff

no idea what this thread is about. Are you guys mining bitcoins with your laptops

It’s about the OP.

No. No, we are not.

what are you doing with idle laptops?

Mining bitcoins for other people. They just tell us they are using them to find a cure for diseases.

1 Like

I’m gonna add a temp project while WCG is being tested.

ETA: Holy :poop:!!! I have a Mapping Cancer Markers that’s only 25% done after 18 hours!!! WTH???

1 Like

From a different thread…Spoiler-ed because of Florida University.

1 Like

My personal laptop finished all its tasks this morning; the work laptop has about 1-2 days worth of tasks. Still gonna run Folding@Home while WCG gets transferred.

1 Like

The main desktop has this for processor and GPU.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor, 4000 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

But there’s another desktop and a laptop that chip in some too. I had my son’s machine on it while he was out of town for a weekend, and it’s a real workhorse.

2 Likes

Well that certainly changes the question from "can I afford a ryzen 9 processor’ to ‘can I afford not to have a ryzen 9 processor’.

I find it curious how a current mid-range desktop cpu can blow an older high end server cpu right out of the water.

Iv’e got a server sitting idle in the data center, I think maybe next month if my dev has some free time I should get it running on there. Plus I’ve got a spare desktop in my office should get cracking on that. Just waiting for a new cpu fan because the current one is just loud enough that I don’t want it running. And I’ve got a cold-spare server (well, actually I’ve got two) sitting in my office. Not sure how I could get those running, they’re not really something I can run at home because loud, and I’m out of rackspace in the data center. Will need to consider more.

1 Like

omg what are you guys talking about?!!!?!

1 Like

I tried adding Rosetta@Home to my WCG, but it’s conflicting huge with Folding@Home. Gonna detach the Rosetta@Home once the current units finish.

1 Like

I loaded Folding@Home onto my work laptop!! You go, little protein folders!!!

1 Like

Here’s the monthly update on World Community Grid points:

Statistics last updated: 2/27/22 23:59:59 (UTC) [many, many hour(s) ago]

Member Name           Points    Monthly
                   Generated     Change
mbplatt          168,367,034  3,298,146
KlaymenAO        154,677,988  1,694,902
1695814           75,265,959    815,869
Wannabe Actuary   58,484,865    303,044
Macroman          57,932,531    195,007
Actuarialsuck     29,975,909    127,126
yoyo_58           27,712,081    546,840
Breadmaker         9,796,607    196,573
meepbobeep         9,290,453    119,988
SpaceLobster       3,667,477  1,424,015
celalta              695,450     13,910
GoA_Kenny            177,471     89,849

Available WCG Projects

#NULL!

Here’s the monthly update on Folding@Home points:

Monthly
Name            Credit     Change
1695814     14,981,556  1,033,100
Rick_G       9,987,863     32,550
Breadmaker   2,831,022    138,232
macroman     1,831,218     30,649
Celalta        474,246    474,246
GoA_Kenny      391,147    189,654

Welcome to our newest member, Celalta!!! :party: (:beers: )^(1/2)

Typical Folding@Home Projects

COVID-19
Alzheimer’s
Cancer
Huntington’s
Parkinson’s
For a comprehensive list see https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary

If you’d like to join us in finding a cure for COVID-19, Cancer, Ebola, AIDS, and other stuff, see the OP ( <-- clicky clicky! ) for links to get the downloads

1 Like

When a Raising Canes opened near us, one of the drive-thru servers always wrote beer to label that soda, made me happy.

Also, folding@home is better at not overheating my CPU than WCG was, so I haven’t had any “Windows shut down unexpectedly” b.s. to deal with. That’s been nice.

2 Likes

Transfer and backup of all WCG data, performant storage layer, DNS and domains now in care of Krembil.

News link

text

Infrastructure Update: All Mission Critical Data Backed Up, Storage Layer Tested, Pass!

Transfer and backup of all WCG data, performant storage layer, DNS and domains now in care of Krembil.

Published on: 9 Mar 2022

Author: Krembil WCG Team

All system data has been transferred from IBM to Krembil infrastructure and successfully backed up to tape storage. Incremental backups of all mission critical data will occur nightly going forward.

The initial stress test of the storage layer has confirmed that storage facilities will be sufficient to operate the grid, based on peak loads observed in previous years.

Continuous Integration and Deployment protocols have been adapted to the Krembil infrastructure and are currently in use. DNS records and all WCG domains have been transferred to the Krembil team and updated to point to Krembil servers.

Thank you for your support.

Krembil WCG Team

1 Like

:woman_scientist:

2 Likes

Not “news”, just “keep up the good work”:
World Community Grid volunteers contributed to 32 projects so far

text & pics

World Community Grid volunteers contributed to 32 projects so far

With almost 2.5 million years of scientific computations, the amazing WCG volunteers contributed to 32 scientific projects already.

Published on: 18 March 2022

From 2004 to 2022 many things have changed, including data centers, the WCG back-end, volunteer hardware, projects, and the number of volunteers. As a result, more work units have been completed each day. We are nearing 2.5 million years of scientific computation.

The dedication of volunteers (and researchers) keeps increasing. The growing number and diversity of projects will require increased computational capacity. Until now, 32 projects (5 remain active in 2022) benefited from the computational power offered by WCG. Individual projects varied in duration, and amount of volunteer computation contributed.

The acronyms for individual projects are defined as follows (in alphabetical order; current projects are highlighted in blue): Africa Rainfall Project: ARP ; AfricanClimate@Home: ACH ; Beta Testing: Beta ; Computing for Clean Water: CCW ; Computing for Sustainable Water: CSW ; Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together: DDDT ; Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together - Phase 2: DDDT2 ; Drug Search for Leishmaniasis: DSL ; FightAIDS@Home: AIDS ; FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2: AIDS2 ; GO Fight Against Malaria: GOFAM ; Genome Comparison: GC ; Help Conquer Cancer: HCC ; Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy: HCMD ; Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy - Phase 2: HCMD2 ; Help Defeat Cancer: HDC ; Help Fight Childhood Cancer: HFCC ; Help Stop TB: HSTB ; Human Proteome Folding: HPF ; Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2: HPF2 ; Influenza Antiviral Drug Search: IADS ; Mapping Cancer Markers: MCC ; Microbiome Immunity Project: MIP ; Nutritious Rice for the World: NRW ; OpenPandemics - COVID-19: OPN1 ; OpenZika: OZ ; Outsmart Ebola Together: OET ; Say No to Schistosoma: SNS ; Smash Childhood Cancer: SCC ; The Clean Energy Project: TCEP ; The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2: TCEP2 ; Uncovering Genome Mysteries: UGM .

66K active members contributed in the last year, and over time 806,240 unique members contributed to WCG; of those, 452,595 joined 36,408 teams. Teams are a great way to interact and compete, and the higher the number of teams a participant is part of, the longer they tend to contribute (as visible in the next figure).

pic 3

Thank you all for supporting citizen science.

Krembil WCG Team

Hey, I’m a citizen scientist! I should put that on my résumé.

2 Likes

1 Like

Update on the update…

1 Like

Here’s the monthly update on World Community Grid points:

#N/A

Available WCG Projects

#NULL!

Here’s the monthly update on Folding@Home points:

Monthly
Name            Credit     Change
1695814     16,492,791  1,511,235
Rick_G      10,007,619     19,756
Breadmaker   2,965,673    134,651
macroman     1,857,634     26,416
Celalta      1,523,706  1,049,460
GoA_Kenny      890,568    499,421

Typical Folding@Home Projects

COVID-19
Alzheimer’s
Cancer
Huntington’s
Parkinson’s
For a comprehensive list see https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary

If you’d like to join us in finding a cure for COVID-19, Cancer, Ebola, AIDS, and other stuff, see the OP ( <-- clicky clicky! ) for links to get the downloads

2 Likes