Having all your bacon done at the same time

Does anyone cook bacon like this? Like uh, you put the bacon down in the frying pan. Then you turn it on. Then the middle pieces cook first and then you gradually move the pieces from the outside to the inside, maybe the last few pieces take a couple minutes longer to cook.

I heard if I switch to copper pans the heat conductivity and evenness is better. Will this make all my bacon done at the same time?

I usually cook bacon in the oven these days.

7 Likes

How fascinating. Asian people don’t use ovens btw. But I think the next place I will move to will have one. They don’t really eat bacon either. I will learn much from the white man.

3 Likes

Copper or the tri-ply type pans help but don’t eliminate this. Like you, I shuffle my bacon around to try to get it to cook uniformly.

Or some times I throw it in the air fryer if it’s just a few pieces.

I use an electric griddle when I make bacon. It helps significantly with this problem but doesn’t eliminate it.

Ditto on cooking bacon in the oven. All done at the same time and no splatter to deal with.

1 Like

Cooks Illustrated has a really good method for cooking bacon on the stovetop. The time my husband has done this, it turned out really good.

Place the bacon (in strips or cut into pieces) and just enough water to cover it in a skillet over high heat. When the water reaches a boil, lower the heat to medium. Once all of the water has simmered away, turn down the heat to medium-low and continue cooking until the bacon is crisp and well browned. This way, the meat plumps up as it cooks instead of shriveling, leaving the bacon pleasantly crisp, not tough or brittle.

Doesn’t the water and fat combine to make a massive splattery mess?

Microwave (gasp).

Sprinkle with brown sugar.
Bake it in the oven.
profit

You’re welcome.

1 Like

As long as you don’t leave your burner on high.

I might have to try that.

I cook my bacon in a Cuisinart GR-4NP1 using the corrugated side of the plates. Having it all done at the same time requires monitoring and occasionally moving pieces during cooking.

This is what I do 99% of the time nowadays. Sure it’s blasphemy but eh it’s quick and easy and fewer dishes to clean

I enjoy having breakfast in bed. I like waking up to the smell of bacon, sue me. And since I don’t have a butler, I have to do it myself. So, most nights before I go to bed, I will lay six strips of bacon out on my George Foreman Grill. Then I go to sleep. When I wake up, I plug in the grill, I go back to sleep again. Then I wake up to the smell of crackling bacon. It is delicious, it’s good for me. It’s the perfect way to start the day.

6 Likes

You could put a light timer on the George Foreman and just wake up to fresh bacon. But make sure you set your alarm so it doesn’t overcook!

1 Like

In professional kitchens this is how they do it. Nothing like a full sheet 400x600 mm pan loaded with bacon crisping up in the oven. Of course after a couple of dozen times it’s just another morning prep.

1 Like

I buy pre-cooked bacon and do this. But for regular bacon I do it in the oven now.

However, when I was younger I did it in a skillet. And I got the absolutely positively best cooking tip for cooking bacon from my then-boyfriend’s Asian mother (who, @colonelsmoothie, does cook bacon) used chopsticks to turn the bacon in the skillet. So much easier than other options!! Brilliant!

So for a while I did bacon in a skillet and used chopsticks to turn it. Then I discovered how much easier it is to do it in the oven.

2 Likes

Huh?

1 Like

16” x 24”