Have we rounded the corner for the final time?

Initially that might have been true, but I’m guessing that in August 2021 it’s probably not. The $4m folks are more likely to be vaccinated and socializing with other vaccinated folks. They shop in the upscale grocery stores where people wear masks, or have the groceries delivered. They’re working from home and their kids’ private schools have great ventilation, plenty of space to social distance, and require masks and the teachers and staff and kids over 12 are vaccinated.

This is definitely true. Lower-income people are the ones working the cash register or picking up groceries. Meanwhile I’m working from home, tap a few buttons on my phone, and groceries show up.

1 Like

Since when have you become an optimist?

Yeah I don’t think it’s going to move the needle that much. I’m curious what percentage of people who say the aren’t getting the vaccine because it’s unapproved have a product in their house with the label “These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA”

2 Likes

Probably. There’s also probably a high % overlap between those saying they won’t get it because the government hasn’t granted full approval yet and those saying they don’t trust the government.

2 Likes

I suspect for some FDA approval will be the thing that moves the needle…into their arm.

That said, it’s probably a fairly small, yet not trivial, group at this point so every little bit helps.

1 Like

The nurse I mentioned who is vocally anti-vax is one of those. Tried to convince me to treat a chronic, degenerative disease not with medicine, but with like ginger and other shit, and she “plead[ed] with [me] to not get the vaccine and poison [my] body.” I don’t talk to her much anymore outside of family gatherings.

I am sure many of them own something that increases their family mortality…a gun.

1 Like

Modified from the numbers of 30% saying they’d get vaccinated once fully approved.

And generally, the way that increases it is… suicide.

Yes, because people who have a bout of depression and don’t have a gun handy by usually recover, but those who have a gun around are a lot more likely to pull the trigger.

And “killed self during a bout of depression” is also really rough on the survivors.

1 Like

Agreed. Most of the horde will just find some other reason to not be vaccinated, or they’ll dismiss the FDA approval as some political/corporate conspiracy.

In other news, it looks like “long haul COVID-19 syndrome” is an official thing. My wife now has that notation in her file, thanks to the symptoms she’s still showing and her still testing positive for over three weeks, despite having been vaccinated.

This is my expectation.

Wishing the best for your wife. Hope she improves soon.

Probably more the latter than the former. One is a cancer survivor; the other has what I think is hydrocephalus and appears to have had many surgeries for that.

Superintendent of my kids district just sent out an email, fully vaccinated rate for people 12+ in my town is over 95%!

4 Likes

Suicide, absolutely.

I had an anti-Vaxxer ask me if I’d own a gun. I told him never, and that’s why. Not just because I don’t trust future me in every circumstance, but everyone in the house.

It’s just crazy how someone can scare themselves out of a vaccine but proudly take on the gun risk.

/ tangent

2 Likes

I read an article a while back about Delta variant symptoms being slightly different. I stumbled across the article below that says: “If you have any symptoms, no matter how mild, even if it is a sore throat, even if it is a runny nose, even if it is sinus congestion, go get yourself tested and limit your contact with other people until you do so.”

I have chronic allergies. I have some sinus congestion pretty much year round. I’d never be able to leave the house again if this is the new standard. I’m using my own judgment here: if I have any symptoms that are out of the ordinary I will take proper precautions.

The signs you have the delta variant are different than original COVID-19 | TheHill?

2 Likes

Delta seems to be messing thing up, but I was hoping the next milestone would be that we can drop all the testing and quarantine and just go back to BAU. Now I feel that is still at least a year away, probably longer.

I don’t have allergies year round, but I do have a ragweed allergy and it flares up in late august for a few weeks. I’m going to be taking my allergy medication pretty strictly (not waiting until I start having symptoms), monitoring the color of my mucous, etc.

It is going to be a challenge, though. I’m thankful that I only have seasonal allergies, because it would be stressful to try to distinguish year-round.

I’ll repeat what I’ve said previously: For my recent breakthrough case, the symptoms that manifested were not really different from allergies and weather. I would not have thought to be tested if it hadn’t been for my wife’s positive test.