Have we rounded the corner for the final time?

Even though I agree with the notion that the Ninth and Tenth Amendments are too-often forgotten or ignored, it should be noted that they don’t supersede the Welfare Clause of the Constitution.

1 Like

This reminds me of this:

The absolute risks were coming down for all of the groups but the difference in vaccinations between groups led to different relative risks. Duh.

4 Likes

Most of my hospitals are at capacity in most states. AND the providers that aren’t going to get the vax will be fired Sept 1st. These two things are scaring the fcuk out of me.

More and more places around here are requiring a proof of vax to get into. I think a lot of restaurants will go to partial capacity and wear masks till seated. Belly up to the bar will have no seating.

Schools are arguing on a mask mandate that I think will pass

Looks like China might be getting Delta.

I don’t know, did we ever decide for sure whether China dodged Covid? If so then it’s a whole new giant population-- ready to get sick, die, and mutate the virus.

The second video at the link below (5 min) is the Chief Medical Officer at a hospital in Baton Rouge talking about what they are going through. They are past capacity, and she’s saying that nobody in her hospital is getting adequate care - not just COVID pts, they don’t have enough staff to properly care for anyone. People who are trying to get treated for trauma aren’t even being transferred to her hospital, they just have to get whatever treatment they can in stand-alone ERs. In my neck of the woods, the Univ of Kansas hospital stopped accepting COVID transfer pts about two weeks ago for the same reason.

Just got an update about two friends, father and son (both somewhat immunocompromised): Both had both shots, then both got COVID recently, in the hospital for 15 and 10 days respectively. They’re out now.

3 Likes

School starts 2 weeks from Monday… oof.

That’s pretty scary.

Oof that’s rough. Glad to hear they are out of hospital.

Thanks.

So a gal that I’m friendly with (went to her Dad’s funeral, brought her a meal when I was in town and she was going through chemo) but I don’t see very often, BFFs with two of my BFFs so I see her mostly through them, is a nurse. I know she’s an RN but at one point she was going back for more schooling… not sure what for. (Not a masters nor nurse practitioner… not sure what else there is for people who are already RNs.)

Anyway she’s pissed because her hospital is requiring that she be vaccinated by some date in October. She’s fuming on Facebook about her rights and an untested unapproved vaccine. It’s so disappointing… you’d think a nurse of all people…

But she doesn’t work in an ICU and the hospital is in a very wealthy part of town so I guess they haven’t been hit that hard???

Were they very sick, or were they being closely observed due to their other health issues?

My uncle and aunt, who died early in the pandemic, lived in a very wealthy area, and died in a hospital that mostly serves the wealthy. I don’t think there’s a strong correlation between wealth and covid.

(There is between population density and covid. Also extreme poverty and covid, as the very poor tend to get crammed together.)

1 Like

My n = 2 for knowing nurses. One just recently got the vaccine, ~4 months after being eligible, and the other is vocally anti-vax.

The nurses I know are all fully vaxed. I have a bunch of health care types in my friend/family group and many went public when they got vaxed. I had been on the fence before that tbh, wanting to wait and see.

I know it’s all anecdotal, but just wanted to share my data point.

Nurses were offered the vaccine VERY early on, when any risks were much less well understood. I’m not really surprised that engendered some hesitancy on their part. And opinions, once formed, can stick.

I suspect that the FDA approval of vaccines will make a difference to a lot of nurses.

When might the vaccines be approved?

On 16 July, FDA accepted Pfizer’s application “under priority review”—meaning it will move faster than during standard reviews, which typically take at least 10 months; the agency now has until January 2022 to review the materials. That seems like a long time, but last week an FDA official told CNN that the decision is likely to come within 2 months. “The review … has been ongoing, is among the highest priorities of the agency, and the agency intends to complete the review far in advance of the [January] Date,” an FDA press officer confirmed to Science in a statement.

FDA has not formally accepted Moderna’s application, possibly because the company has not yet submitted all the required materials.

This seems contradictory. I thought it went without saying but perhaps not: there’s not a lot of extreme poverty nor extremely high population density in the wealthy area. Wealth is a sliding scale so if lack of wealth matters, then being in a wealthy area would be relevant.

If your point is that there’s not much difference between a household income of $150,000 vs $1,500,000 then sure. My point in bringing up the wealthy area is that there’s not a lot of cases of $15,000 households or 10 people crammed in an 800 sq ft apartment utilizing that particular hospital.

As far as when the vaccines are approved, a number of outlets are reporting that multiple sources within the FDA have leaked that Pfizer will be approved before Labor Day. That’s in like 3.5 weeks.

I mentioned this in my response to this nurse.

Spoiler alert: They’ll still claim it’s been rushed. Maybe 10% (guesstimate pulled from my tailpipe) of people on the fence will change their mind with full approval.

4 Likes

I’d say there’s not a lot of difference between a household income of $40k and $4m, and that’s enough of the population that i don’t think covid risk correlates much with “wealth”. More with location, and the location risk varies over time.