Happy Thoughts

If I was posting about this last week it would have been in t he annoyed thoughts thread, but it seems to have improved so I am posting it here.

I got on someone’s spam list and started receiving an obnoxious number of calls per day about 2 weeks ago. So many that my phone’s history only stores back through about 11 AM last Wednesday. On Thursday I count 41 between 8:55 AM and 4:52 PM. Around noon on Thursday I decided I would start answering them (if possible), but not saying a word, in part because when I would send them to VM I would sometimes get 3 back-to-back calls (typically from 3 different numbers). Apparently the spammers didn’t like that because on Friday, I got 13 (answered 10 I think). I’ve gotten 3 today (and was able to answer 2). Hopefully I am back to the spam every once in a while group as opposed to the constant interruptions.

4 Likes

I have a contact called “Scammers” and I add email & phone numbers to it as appropriate and I’ve blocked calls and texts from the contact. It’s up to, I dunno, maybe 30 phone numbers (didn’t count, but somewhere in there).

Granted spam <> scam but still…

I’m probably not perfect in my differentiation, just people I definitely don’t want to talk to.

For a while I hadn’t figured out how to block the contact and I was surprised at how often the phone rang and it was “Scammers” calling. Obviously they can get a new phone number but often they don’t.

I’m not bothering to do much analysis but of the 41 phone calls I got last Thursday, I’m willing to bet it was from at least 30 different phone numbers. I counted 22 area codes before I stopped. The days of simply blocking numbers has past.

1 Like

Yikes, that’s a lot.

I was always surprised when I’d get a repeat call from the same number but it happened enough that I was glad I knew not to answer.

Now I won’t know how many repeat calls because my phone just never rings when it’s one of the blocked numbers. I think I blocked the “contact” maybe 5 years ago.

Lately phone spammers have been faking their number, so each time it’s a different number, always local.

We got nomorobo, which helps a lot.

Quite frequently i wake up at like 5am with problems solved or good ideas. Woke up this morning feeling like p diddy for sure.got a great idea, got an assignment done and a good start on another assignment, and its just 7am.
Rocknroll today for sure.

5 Likes

Today is bonus day.

8 Likes

Go on… :popcorn:

And….I just increased my savings?

We are replacing our old carpet upstairs with vinyl that mimics hardwood. That will take a chunk.

1 Like

2 Likes

Annual review day. I met my binary goal of not being fired.

I haven’t gotten a bad review but I still get a little nervous heading into these things.

7 Likes

Oh! :hsmack:

Bonus day … when I first read that my mind went to something someone who had a near death experience would say “I live everyday like it’s a bonus day…”

1 Like

I can only imagine what it takes to fire a credentialled actuary. I bet it takes a lot more than the worst work ethic imaginable.

I worked under an actuary, who worked under an ASA. They both should’ve been fired, then beaten, then fired, then something else. Nope, the one left the industry, and the other had a long fruitful career at that company spanning decades, until they retired with a company pension. Both horrible people, horrible managers, non-existent work ethic. A net negative to company for their whole career.

Fortunately, I started writing exams and got out from under the two of them - got an internal transfer to another actuary who was one of the best supervisors I’d ever had.

Anyway, I wouldn’t worry to much about getting fired lol.

1 Like

I worked under a grossly incompetent FSA for a few years. Sucked the soul from every actuarial student with the misfortune of working under said FSA, but had a long lucrative career with the company.

I’ve posted about how this person blatantly lied and blamed me for their f***-up after I got myself extricated from that reporting situation and wasn’t in the room to defend myself. (It was such a bad f***-up that the FSA’s boss ripped me a new one over email, to which I replied all with proof that I was innocent and it was completely FSAs fault.) It felt good to expose this person as the most egregious possible liar, but of course nothing came of it.

In hindsight I should have reported the actuary to the ABCD for that as the actuary was demonstrably in violation of acting ethically.

Actuary was reported to the ABCD (not by me) on an unrelated matter and I never saw a tombstone (I checked) and no credentials were revoked so at most it was a private censure. The problem that caused the ABCD report that had been swept under the rug for years did very suddenly get fixed about 16 months after the ABCD report though, which seems like just the right amount of time for them to have said “if you fix the problem now then we’ll deal with this as a private censure”. No clue if that actually happened though… just observations.

2 Likes

We are kind of nearing the end of robotics season, which has been fun. I recently discovered that my city runs a wood shop, and you can sign up. The man who runs it was the high school shop teacher for many years and he’s quite a character. I convinced my son to join me there over the summer, Wednesday from 6-9. You just show up and you can make whatever you want, I think I’m going to make an oak storage cabinet for our new bathroom unless my son has a better idea.

I do a decent amount of work around the house, and I generally consider myself to be quite handy. But I haven’t made furniture since high school wood shop. Should be a real learning experience!

1 Like

As new boss was leaving my office after a conversation, threw in a “You’re doing a great job.”

6 Likes

5 Likes

6 Likes

I got in bed 14 hours ago, am still in bed.

5 Likes

4 Likes