Happy Thoughts

Is the electricity at charging stations taxed like gasoline?

From what I understand, the revenue ostensibly goes to highway funds. So, with the same number of cars on the road, but less of them paying the gas tax, revenues will fall and will have to be regained in some other manner.

I anticipate $8-10/gallon by 2030 due to higher taxes and lower supply due Biden reducing domestic production and blocking new pipelines.

Also, the GND technically would ban all gas cars from the road by 2040, though I expect that to be one of the things that doesn’t survive in whatever final version gets passed eventually.

I already laid this out, at least in part. The ability to drive to my in-law’s house (or my brother’s house or another place we commonly go on vacation) in a single day.

In addition: Not having to worry about getting stranded. Not having to meticulously plan out my refueling stops when I go on a road trip. Not having to contribute to China strip-mining the rare-earth minerals that are needed to make the battery.

From what I’m reading, if your electricity is generated by fossil fuels and you properly account for the additional environmental impacts of both manufacturing and disposing of EVs, they’re not actually much greener than ICEVs, and by some accounts, for certain parts of the country they can actually be worse. That would be if the electricity that will be charging the vehicle is primarily generated by burning fossil fuels.

So it matters if you’re in Seattle, WA vs Charleston, WV.

Where I am we have a mix of nuclear and various fossil fuels. Very little solar, wind, or anything else in my area. So I don’t think me getting an EV actually benefits the planet much, if any, and it might actually be harmful. I considered it a wash and only considered the economics and convenience in my decision-making. It would be a bit more expensive and a LOT more hassle. So an easy choice.

I’ve considered a Tesla roof, but the waiting list is longer than the expected time-to-replacement of my current roof. Maybe the next roof after that will be a Tesla roof. By then the batteries will presumably be a lot better too.

Plus, if you get an EV, don’t you have to put one of these stickers on it like the rest of the hippie-mobiles?

In my state there is a higher annual plate renewal cost for EVs and hybrids to make up for lost revenue from the gas tax. I think it is $100.

Guess who is one of the biggest proponents of EVs? The coal industry.

EV’s might actually be WORSE than ICE cars for the environment: " it could even worsen the overall climate impact of driving, experts say."

examples: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/electric-cars-and-the-coal-that-runs-them/2015/11/23/74869240-734b-11e5-ba14-318f8e87a2fc_story.html

‘*****************************************************************************************’
I do note that this EV discussion is off topic to this Happy Thoughts thread.

There is an EV discussion herein: Electric Vehicles - #68 by SteveGrondin

‘*******************************************************************************************’
thanks

How about the fact that I need a car that is bigger than a crappy little econobox and so far every single EV that is available is a merely a crappy little econobox?

Really? There are several SUVs, and even a truck or two that are available or soon will be.

I am certainly not basing any decisions on assumptions that the GND becomes the law of the land during the period in which I own my car.

And I counter-predict on the gas prices. I think they will not hit $8 a gallon in my part of the country in 2021-inflation-adjusted numbers.

This is not even the slightest bit surprising.

Here is a list with pics of every currently available ( pun intended) EV. None of which is an SUV by my recognition. At best some are crossovers, but really they are hatchbacks.

This is an SUV: 2021 Toyota Sequoia Full-Size SUV | Rule Every Road Trip

GND will be the same as healthcare — it will get watered down, but some version is going to pass eventually.

I have a bridge to sell you if you believe that there exists a politician willing to blatantly screw over poor people like that.

Politicians have been screwing over poor people for 75 years, and you think climate change is where they stop?

1 Like

The thread title is “Happy Thoughts”

Yeah, sorry for the derailment. Here’s a rainbow:

4 Likes

Happy thought: heading to the local brewery tonite for a coupla drinks with the Mrs and some friends.

2 Likes

Perhaps MH is a politician :upside_down_face:

Should I ask my boss for a roll? Asking for a friend. :slight_smile:

A friend has that Audi etron. It’s a pretty big SUV, and certainly not an econobox. If you regularly need an SUV that seats 7-8 then I can see why it wouldn’t work for you, but there are lots of EV’s that are not econoboxes. The Tesla S is a really big sedan.