Electric Vehicles

Battery size for Chevy Bolt is 66KWh, nominal I believe. Most EVs leave a little nominal unused, but probably 95%-97% is usable. I don’t think MPGe is based on cost, however. Would have to look it up.

Based on 1 gal = 33.7 KWh. Not on cost. So 127 mi/33.7KWh.

DP asked a serious question about whether, considering emissions of electricity generation, are EVs really better than ICE?
The WaPo article he cited was from 2015, and things have changed. Even then, your regional mix of sources affected the breakeven ICE MPG. However, a more up-to-date analysis by the same folks quoted in the article, the Union of Concerned Scientists, tilts (heavily IMO) toward yes. If we move even further along in de-carbonizing our electric power sources, the math will get better. We still have to temper our driving habits and vehicle choices, though.

DP also mentioned lack of diversity in EV models. That is currently a problem, but it is improving. I have a family of seven, and a minivan is the most reasonable type of transport. By the time an EV option arrives in the US, I won’t need it anymore. Mercedes has some nice passenger van options in Europe, but they don’t plan on bringing them here any time soon.

I’m hopeful that my spouse will be okay replacing our minivan with the VW bus when it gets here. Our kids are grown, but minivans are still more comfortable and easier to get in and out of for my spouse than anything else that’s not a giant SUV, which are not as useful as the minivan where we can easily stow all rear seats in less than 2 minutes.

Yeah, minivans are awesome. My ex-MIL had a Town & Country and it was great for road trips. Way more comfy than an SUV.

2 Likes

I am replying here to Arthuritis’s post in the other thread.

The Audi E-tron has interior head room of 38.1 inches. That’s pretty small.

The Tesla model S has interior headroom of 38.8 inches. A little better but not up to snuff.

What do you drive when you are 6’6" or taller? Cars keep getting shorter and shorter for aerodynamics, but people are getting taller.

I need a vehicle with head room that starts with the number 4.

Wanting extra headroom is very different than calling every vehicle an econobox. The eTron and Model S are pretty typical in terms of car headroom.

Good news for you though: the 2020 Nissan Leaf has 41.2 inches of headroom. That’s more than a full sized Ram pickup and the huge Nissan Armada.

1 Like

I call a foul.

This is from YOUR article: “For electric vehicles (EVs), fuel economy can drop roughly 39% in mixed city and highway driving, and range can drop by 41%.”

e·con·o·box

/iˈkänəˌbäks/

noun

INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN

1. a car that is small and economical rather than large or stylish.

Everything on the available EV list is small and by definition economical.

Look, I want to buy an electric vehicle. I just really want to have one that doesn’t have crappy drawbacks like limited range, limited capacity, and uncomfortable passenger space. It would also help if the infrastructure were advancing more meaningfully. Right now chargers are too few, too far between, lack homogeneity and usability, and fail more often than gas pumps.

I wear size 14 shoes. If great shoes come out and are only available in sizes 5 thru 11, don’t tell me how great they are and how size 11 isn’t that small. Size 11 doesn’t fit my needs and there are plenty of other people with big feet.

I’d buy a Toyota Sequoia EV if they made one. Maybe I’d settle for a 4Runner EV. But a RAV4 EV would be something I’d accept only begrudgingly, and anything smaller is a no deal.

This is a silly hill to die on. No one other than yourself considers a Tesla S or an ETron an ecobox

I wouldn’t call them ecoboxes because they cost too damn much money.

They are size 10 shoes when I wear a 14. Don’t make the argument that there are plenty of people who wear a size 10 and are quite happy with them. Too. Small. For. Me.

Hmmm, I don’t know what tall people drive. But…I imagine it sucks to be that tall. Do you get your bed custom made too?

I believe they mostly drive full size SUVs like Tahoes, Sequoias, Suburbans, and Expeditions.

I cry fowl!!!

Yes, if you use the vehicle inefficiently, you have drastically lower range.

That is EXACTLY what I said in the comment that you selectively quoted to misrepresent what I said.
But, you do you

Inefficiently, like not freezing your ass off .

Your article also was referencing performance at 20*F. Gee, does it ever get colder than that in Minnesota in the winter?

What if you don’t have a garage? How can you efficiently heat the car’s battery?

Your dishonesty through selective quoting is quite impressive.

The very next line after what you quoted:
" About two-thirds of the extra energy consumed is used to heat the cabin."

Of course, you do not seem to care about the actual facts of the situation. Just misrepresenting half data and half quotes to try to prove your opinion as a fact.

RAV4 ID4
Front Head Room 39.5 in. 41.1 in.
Front Hip Room 54.3 in. 54.4 in.
Front Leg Room 41.0 in. 41.1 in.
Front Shoulder Room 57.8 in. 57.5 in.
Rear Head Room 39.5 in. 38.4 in.
Rear Hip Room 47.7 in. 46.7 in.
Rear Leg Room 37.8 in. 37.6 in.
Rear Shoulder Room 56.4 in. 55.9 in.

From Edmunds.com

Total Interior Volume (cubic feet)
id.4 99.9
Rav4 98.9
Pilot 153.1
Expedition 191.2

Audi E-tron has 57 cu ft behind 1st row ( I could not find that number including the front row). Compare that to the Rav4’s 69.8 cu ft behind the 1st row, and the E-tron is smaller than a rav4 or id.4

I thought y’all had car tuques up there. :thinking:

Seriously, not all places and use cases favor BEVs. Some transport cases would be better served by hydrogen powered vehicles, which could be powered by green hydrogen. But the early adopters have driven the market toward BEVs. The outlier cases unfortunately will be more costly. And the ungaraged might end up relying on public transportation more.

I don’t know anything about low temperature impact on supercapacitors. They are a dark horse in consumer EVs right now, but who knows what breakthroughs might happen.

1 Like

I think tall people tend to prefer California Kings. They’re narrower than a standard king, but longer.