Happy Thoughts

We had some fish born this spring in our pond, two of them are now large enough to eat the fish food pellets. Last year we didn’t have any newborns survive but these two look pretty healthy.

1 Like

My inlaws have a small fish pond, and their biggest problem with keeping fish is birds. Specifically, kingfishers and herons see backyard ponds as fish in a barrel. If a heron finds an easy target, it can often return until it’s cleaned out.

Plenty of aquatic plants providing hiding places helps a lot. Another thing FIL does: he stopped buying nice fish, and started getting cheap “feeder fish”. Many of the cheapo’s can grow to nice size in a year or 2 if they have plenty of food and enough places to hide.

We have lost some fish, I figure birds or maybe cats. We have water lilies that cover a lot of the surface, plus some kind of plant that is fully submerged and gives them cover. We seem to lose the fish in spring before the plants are going, and I try to cover it with a net but don’t do it 100% of the time.

I think we spent maybe $10 on a fish once, it got eaten almost immediately. Now we just have run of the mill goldfish.

My neighbour brought us a bottle of wine for shuttling him and his cat to the vet over the last couple of weeks!! :smiley_cat: :wine_glass:

2 Likes

I tried a new to me recipe recently. It sounded like something I’d like, but the end result had a number of things I didn’t care for. I made it again tonight making significant changes on the fly, and it was much better than the original. Will make my version again.

2 Likes

There’s a thread for that… GoA Recipe Book

1 Like

Not too hot, not too cold today: Daddy gonna actuarialize on the back deck this aft!!!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s been perfect here the last few days. Well… chilly this morning, actually. But currently 75 and sunny with a light breeze, which I consider perfect.

1 Like

The forecast here keeps saying it’s gonna be in the 90s five days from now, but the heat just keeps getting pushed back. It’s 85° here now but the dew point is 59° so it’s really pleasant. Much better than last week’s 108° with a 79° dew point!

I’m gonna dust off the bike after work and push a few miles.

Pad Thai.

Cross post to lunch thread.

1 Like

Receptionist at my chiropractor’s office: twig, every time I see you you’re skinnier than the last time. You look fantastic!

Wow… that was a nice ego boost!

5 Likes

My son’s robotics team is teaching a lot of basics, last week they tried to do soldering but it’s HS kids and they didn’t plan well (will talk to them about that) so each kiddo only had like five minutes to practice. So last night I asked my son if he wanted to go work on that and we went to the garage and soldered for an hour. He seemed pretty jazzed that by about the sixth attempt he was getting it down pat. Good skill to know, imo.

1 Like

Earlier this summer my mom’s boyfriend’s twin brother was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. Had surgery to remove as much of it as they could followed by radiation & chemotherapy. He’d been staying with my mom & her boyfriend so they could take care of him, but when Boyfriend got Covid, Brother retreated to his prior home.

Today’s update from Boyfriend’s SIL who has taken up the mantle of caring for Brother:

Hooray! Maybe I should cross post in the fuck cancer thread.

3 Likes

Heh, I don’t think she was hitting on me. She’s married to one of the [male] chiropractors. It was just a nice compliment. Otherwise I’d post it in the insignificant signals thread.

I’m down 16 pounds this year so far, and a clothing size.

4 Likes

I wonder if they would say the same thing to your new boss.

:grimacing:

I mean, I actually needed to lose the weight. And I’m not to my goal yet. And my goal will still have me a lot heavier than my boss because I have no desire to look anorexic.

omg a young man who did something to end up in a state pokey (not just regular juvie) came back to re-enroll in our school today! :grin: I kept in touch with grandma while he was away. I’m excited for him to show his true potential!

6 Likes

Saw two trees with red leaves today. :maple_leaf:

Fall is my favorite time of year… sooooooo pretty!!!

5 Likes

I’m going to DC in a couple of weeks for meetings. I tacked on two days to see the holocaust museum, I think it’s the last item on my DC bucket list. Which I guess is kind of a weird happy thought, I think it’s something I’ll remember.

ETA: I don’t need two days just to see one museum, I’m sure I’ll find other things that interest me. Love DC. Not sure I’d want to live there but live visiting.

2 Likes