Happy thanksgiving!

I mean maybe SL’s canned beans from his garden are fine but store bought canned beans are not.

Also how much the fresh is better than frozen varies a lot by veggie.

Frozen broccoli, beans and peas are like 90-95% as good as fresh. Frozen asparagus I will never buy and take only a no thank you helping if it’s served to me. Frozen Brussels sprouts are significantly inferior to fresh, but still acceptable enough that I buy them.

1 Like

Yeah I’m not soaking beans overnight then cooking them for 4 hours when I can open a can. But you knock yourself out.

1 Like

Maybe we are talking different beans here. Like a delmonte green bean, cut all fancy with those red things in them. I love those.
Second behind that would be fresh beans from my garden.

I pickle beans, I don’t can them as in not pickled. Not sure if like those. Maybe.

Water logged green beans in a can are gross.

2 Likes

How about bean-infused water from a can?

Oh, I was thinking like green beans or yellow wax beans… veggie beans rather than protein beans (is there a better way to differentiate?)

I buy canned cannelloni beans or black eyed peas or black beans. That’s different.

Them. I like them.

1 Like

Naw, this is what gets served at casa de twig:

I just buy green beans in the produce aisle for like $0.99/lb. Had some last week in stir fry.

I’ll be making the turkey with this recipe again:

It’s worth the trouble.

I’ve been going the brine route for years. We use the Alton Brown recipe but same concept. And yes well worth the time.

We buy a new 5 gallon bucket at the hardware store every year, brine it in that and throw it the little fridge outside for a few days.

Probably do it tonight.

2 Likes

Someone else is bringing turkey. All I know is it will be smoked, and it had better be properly brined.

Or not, I don’t care, I’m making 6lb of USDA Prime rib roast. And I’m doing charcuterie. If that’s all there is I won’t be disappointed.

1 Like

I’m going to spatchcock my turkey this year and see how it comes out.

1 Like

I’m doing a turducken again this year (last one was 2 years ago). I’m trying to decide if I want to throw it on the pellet smoker or cook it in the oven. I’ll probably end up on the smoker simply to leave the oven available for other things. Although we do have 2 ovens and we are able to do many of our recipes ahead of time or in a crock pot so not as important as it might otherwise be.

We also have an Australian and a guy from upstate NY joining us so the smoker adds a bit if flavor to the story of their first turducken.

Saw a recipe for green bean casserole that used cream cheese and Lipton onion soup mix instead of cream of mushroom soup. Looked interesting so I’m going to try that.

3 Likes

If you like it, would you post the recipe? Sounds interesting!

1 Like

:iatp:
Here’s a thread for it:

1 Like

Added to the GoA Recipe Book.

2 Likes

I am going to make some goat cheese jam pastry bites. Don’t really have a recipe to follow, going to take some crescent rolls, a dollop of goat cheese, a smaller dollop of fig jam, pinch closed, bake until done. I hope it’s good!

I also have some spicy cherry jam, and apricot jam. Might give those a try as well.

3 Likes

Sounds delicious

1 Like