GoA Recipe Book

I need a spot to jot down my simple Avgolemono soup for posterity.

4 cups broth
Sprinkle of dried minced onion
Dash of olive oil
4 eggs
1/4 cup lemon juice (8-10 packets true lemon with 1/4 cup water)
Chicken
Rice or orzo if you’re into that

Boil the broth, minced onion, and olive oil. Blend eggs and lemon juice and some of the hot broth, blend into the pot of broth slowly (I use a hand mixer for this), add chicken, let simmer with rice/orzo until cooked.

Salt and pepper to taste.

2 Likes

I made carne asada tacos the other day. Recipe was good overall, but the outstanding part was the tomatillo salsa. Here is that recipe:

3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grill
1 small white onion, halved
2 serrano chiles, stems removed
10 oz. tomatillos (about 3 large), husks removed, rinsed
3 garlic cloves, sliced
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1.5 limes)
2½ tsp. Diamond Crystal or 1½ tsp. Morton kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 cup (packed) coarsely chopped cilantro

Prepare a grill for medium-high heat; oil grate. Grill onion halves, chiles, and tomatillos, turning often, until charred and tender, 10–15 minutes for onion and tomatillos, 8–12 minutes for chiles.

Transfer vegetables to a blender and add garlic, lime juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, 1 cup cilantro, and 3 Tbsp. oil. Carefully blend until salsa is mostly smooth (some texture is good but make sure there are no large chunks).

1 Like

Since Thanksgiving is coming up, here’s a reminder that this cranberry sauce is fantastic

2 Likes

Tomatillo salsa and guacamole salsa are both criminally underrated, at least in my neck of the woods. There is one joint in town with what they call ‘creamy green salsa’ that’s got avocado in it and is about 7.5/10 spicy and it’s amazing.

1 Like

I don’t know why I put a reminder for myself on my calendar for Oct 13 2023 pointing to this recipe, but I did.

I liked it, but didn’t love it. The chicken ended up nice & tender. The peanut butter was kind of not-fitting in to my palette. I bought a bag of spinach but forgot to use it at all. That’s probably where I went wrong. If someone magically made it again, I’d eat it & like it again, but that someone is going to be me because wife has an incredible aversion to the slow cooker, so it probably won’t happen.

In the end, thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the adventure & exposure to something new.

All I have is a video for it which is a little painful to watch. I’ll put the link below.

This is what I get from it.

1 8oz package cream cheese, whipped cream cheese makes it easier otherwise soften it.
4 cans green beans, drained
1 package Lipton Onion soup mix
1 3oz bag Oscar Mayer Bacon Bits
French’s Fried Onions
1 sleeve Ritz Crackers
1 stick butter, melted
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a casserole dish dump drained green beans. Add cream cheese, soup mix and bacon bits and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until well combined (this is where the whipped cream cheese makes it easier to combine). Top with a couple handfuls of fried onions. Crush crackers and add melted butter to crushed crackers and cover casserole. Bake for 30 minutes.

https://fb.watch/orIsdhL2u0/

1 Like

I made a horseradish cranberry sauce several years back, the last time I hosted thanksgiving, so I think 2019. It was great! But my family hates anything with flavor, so I was the only one who enjoyed it, hah. Not sure if I made it on your recommendation or someone else’s.

It was probably me. I am a big fan of this recipe.

1 Like

So the cream cheese version of the green bean casserole wasn’t bad but was a little dry and not creamy enough. I’m not sure if I would add some more cream cheese, some cream or milk, or a can of cream of mushroom soup but it needed something to make more gravy type consistency.

2 Likes

Bean soup. I just winged it so am going from memory on what I put in there, but it did turn out well.

29oz package mixed beans (I used Bob’s Red Mill 13 bean soup mix)
2 32oz packages reduced sodium chicken broth
1 onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 15oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 smoked turkey leg, whole
Juice of one lemon
Herbs/spices/salt to taste: I used about 1T of an umami spice mix, approx 1.5t italian herb mix, approx 1t dried parsley, plus salt and pepper. If you use regular broth rather than reduced sodium you might not need added salt.

Rinse the beans well and inspect for any debris. Throw it all in a crockpot on high and cook until done. As it starts getting close to done, remove the turkey leg, remove the meat from the bone, shred, and return meat to the crockpot.

Various recipes tell me this should have been done in 4 to 6 hours, but it took 8 hours plus. I’m guessing perhaps because this is such a big pot of stuff it took the crockpot longer to get up to temp. If you make this big batch, I’d suggest trying them around hour 5-6, deboning the turkey then, and deciding how much longer it will be to finish. If your cooking a smaller batch, maybe check it at hour 3.5-4.

Local grocery stores here often sell 2 packs of smoked turkey legs. They freeze nicely if well packaged. Throw the spare one in the freezer for the next time you make soup or greens. Bean soup also freezes nicely.

I looked for a smoked turkey anything last time i wanted to use my stash of beans. I struck out.

1 Like

Must be a regional thing, as here it’s available at regular grocery stores

I’ve seen smoked chunk-o-turkey breast, which I’ve used before. Yeah, I’m sure it’s regional.

The last time I made this, wife was quite pleased with how it turned out, so I need to put it somewhere where I’ll remember it:

tl;dr: 400°F for 40 minutes. 170°F for 30-60 more minutes.

2 Likes

I am going to try this tonight - thanks! Side of asparagus as well

1 Like

I made these tonight for my pre-pre-game appetizer:

(I didn’t have all of the branded ingredients they called for in the recipe, but any home cook worth their spatula could figure out alternatives, so don’t let that bother you unless you don’t know which end of the spatula to use.)

True Lemon Pepper Zucchini Patties

A unique and delicious appetizer or side dish.

Ingredients

For Zucchini Patties:

For the dipping sauce:

Directions

1. For the sauce, mix all ingredients together and keep cool until ready for use.
  2. In a large bowl, put grated Zucchini, carrots, and celery. Take about 4 paper towels and press onto the vegetables to soak up as much moisture as you can.
  3. Add Egg Beaters, flour, bread crumbs, cheeses and spice blends. Mix well to distribute ingredients evenly.
  4. Heat non-stick skillet on medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. You can also fry them in any oil of your choosing.
  5. Drop the mixture by heaping spoonfuls into the pan and gently press with the spoon to flatten them a little. Also use your spoon to form them into round patties. Cook until golden brown on each side, remove from pan and put on paper towels to soak any leftover grease.
  6. Let cool and eat with your dip. Enjoy! (Yields 10-12 patties)

The recipe makes way more sauce than I actually needed, but I’ll be able to use it as a dip for my chicken wings tomorrow during the pre-game appetizer, so, in a way, it’s a bonus.

1 Like

Had to use up some Christmas ham.

kanga-roux

Ingredients

• 3 1/2 cups (about 2 large) russet potatoes, peeled and diced medium
  • 1 1/2 cups (9oz) cooked honey ham,diced medium*
  • 1/2 cup celery diced small
  • 1/2 cup onion diced small
  • 4 cups (2 15oz cans) chicken broth
  • 5 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon (44g) all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk, (any percentage)
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • Salt

Instructions

Boil

• In a large pot, combine potatoes, ham, celery, onions, and chicken broth. Bring to a low boil and cook over medium heat until vegetables are fork-tender, 10 to 15 minutes.

Make the roux

• In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and whisk in flour. Cook, stirring constantly until flour is golden, about one minute. Slowly add in milk, continuing to stir so that no lumps form and cook until mixture is thick, about 5 minutes.

Combine

• Pour flour and milk mixture into the soup and stir. Add pepper, and salt to taste.

• Serve and enjoy.

Wife said, “This is a good recipe.”
I must have used a “smoked ham” instead of a “honey ham” because wife also commented, “The smoked ham really makes a difference in this.”
It was also “bone in” which I let cook in the soup for a while.

1 Like

So I made this for the first time this weekend. If you like leeks, this is seriously good. And it’s pretty simple, but it did take me bang on 90 minutes to make, a little labor intensive.

3 Likes

BUMP…

Found a wok cookbook (Sunset Magazine published it) from the 70’s at my mom’s house last year. And a wok. So I took both. Eyeing the Carbonara recipe. The rest look way too complicated.
Anywho, my method is to take the recipe and chop it down to its finest details, inputted to an Excel spreadsheet with checkmarks next to each step, and print on paper so I can keep track… At first count, there are 14 steps and nine ingredients.
But I’ll also need to follow the general instructions of wok-cooking, or, as I call it, Wookieeing: add steps for chopping and slicing of some ingredients, and for boiling the spaghetti. I’ll also add times for each step to the spreadsheet, in order to estimate when I should start the process in order to eat at a certain time. Allows me to think a lot less about the process and solve world problems while I’m cooking.
I’ll take a pic of it if possible (it is written over two pages of the book, so lower half of one page, higher side of the other).

Obviously, cooking this on Stir-Fry-day, Cyril.

1 Like

:heart_eyes:
This is the cookbook I need.

1 Like