Happy thanksgiving!

I’ve been going the brine route for years. We use the Alton Brown recipe but same concept. And yes well worth the time.

We buy a new 5 gallon bucket at the hardware store every year, brine it in that and throw it the little fridge outside for a few days.

Probably do it tonight.

2 Likes

Someone else is bringing turkey. All I know is it will be smoked, and it had better be properly brined.

Or not, I don’t care, I’m making 6lb of USDA Prime rib roast. And I’m doing charcuterie. If that’s all there is I won’t be disappointed.

1 Like

I’m going to spatchcock my turkey this year and see how it comes out.

1 Like

I’m doing a turducken again this year (last one was 2 years ago). I’m trying to decide if I want to throw it on the pellet smoker or cook it in the oven. I’ll probably end up on the smoker simply to leave the oven available for other things. Although we do have 2 ovens and we are able to do many of our recipes ahead of time or in a crock pot so not as important as it might otherwise be.

We also have an Australian and a guy from upstate NY joining us so the smoker adds a bit if flavor to the story of their first turducken.

Saw a recipe for green bean casserole that used cream cheese and Lipton onion soup mix instead of cream of mushroom soup. Looked interesting so I’m going to try that.

3 Likes

If you like it, would you post the recipe? Sounds interesting!

1 Like

:iatp:
Here’s a thread for it:

1 Like

Added to the GoA Recipe Book.

2 Likes

I am going to make some goat cheese jam pastry bites. Don’t really have a recipe to follow, going to take some crescent rolls, a dollop of goat cheese, a smaller dollop of fig jam, pinch closed, bake until done. I hope it’s good!

I also have some spicy cherry jam, and apricot jam. Might give those a try as well.

3 Likes

Sounds delicious

1 Like

One year my wife was looking for a side that didn’t need a stove burner or oven space and found an awesome creamed corn crockpot recipe.

2lb frozen corn
4 oz cream cheese, or 8 if you’re feeling decadent
2 Tbl sugar
1/2 cup milk (anything from fat free to whole cream depending on how many calories you want, we use 2%)
2 Tbl butter

Everything in crockpot, cook on high 2 hours, stir about every 20 minutes.

Easy to scale up for big crowd if you’ve got big crockpot.

3 Likes

That sounds really good, I wish my family would eat that. In years past I did charcuterie with various jams and things like brie cheese, but our family is about 90% redneck and nobody touched any of that. Sigh. This year I did get some roquefort for me, but the most adventurous cheese I’ll put out for the family is gouda (Old Amsterdam). It’s basically just cheddar, swiss, pepperoni, and prosciutto.

2 Likes

The food of my people lol. Most white food ever.
Not that my brother in law would eat charcuterie. He doesn’t eat anything foreign. Like say, rice. But if the stove’s on, he’s got the foot long roll of bologna out and frying some up.

2 Likes

My family isn’t redneck, just very basic. If it isn’t a cheeseball with an unnaturally orange color, they won’t eat it!

I would love to bring a charcuterie board some year, but I’m starting small. My family probably WILL eat something in a puff pastry form, here’s hoping at least.

3 Likes

One of these days I need to share a few recipes. We have a “basic” food family. We generally bring something different each year so many of our prior recipes frequently made it into the rotation when others asked for the recipe.

And when I say “we” I mean my wife because she’s the one who can cook. I can, however, follow a recipe.

2 Likes

Merry Thanksgiving you filthy animals.

When I see the leftover turkeys not sold at the grocery I’ll buy one and deep fry that Turkey!

3 Likes

Happy Chrisgiving! We merged the two holidays and opened Xmas gifts this morning since relatives will be in Hawaii on Xmas and didn’t want to haul all the presents over there. Turkey is in the smoker and we’re going ice skating soon. Good times. Hope y’all enjoy the day!

1 Like

Man, I haven’t ice skated in forever.

2 Likes

i just ate all the extra apple slices i didn’t use in the apple crisp desert. on the crisp, i want it heavy on the crisp. so slices were declared extra.

2 Likes