GoA Recipe Book

Here are three “corporate” recipes that I really enjoyed.

poorly-edited text straight as it is on the website

½ oz. Pickled Ginger
1/4c Sweet Chili Sauce
1 tbsp coconut aminos
1 oz. Roasted Peanuts, lightly crushed
2 Green Onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
¾ cup Jasmine Rice
6 oz. Trimmed Green Beans
3 Tbsp. Cornstarch
10 oz. Chicken, cubed
1 tsp. Cilantro Lime Pepper Salt (or lemon pepper)

Combine ¾ cup jasmine rice with 1 ½ cups water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Let rest with the lid on for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.

Toss cubed chicken with cornstarch, salt and pepper until evenly coated. Heat a large frying pan with 2 tbsp high-heat oil and place chicken, in batches, to sear until crisp (4-6 minutes per side). Place on a kitchen towel-lined plate and wipe pan.

Replenish pan with oil and heat on medium-high. Add the green beans to hot pan and cook for about a minute, then add in ¼ cup water and cilantro pepper salt, and cover and cook until the green beans are tender. Remove the lid and add the cooked rice and stir until lightly crisp.

Add green beans to a hot pan and cook, 1 minute. Stir in ¼ cup water and seasoning blend. Cover, and cook until tender, 6-8 minutes. Uncover, and stir in half the green onions (reserve remaining for garnish). Cook until bright green, 1-2 minutes. Stir in cooked rice until heated through and rice starts to crisp, 3-4 minutes. Remove from burner. Cover and set aside.

Top rice with chicken, roasted peanuts, green parts of green onions and pickled ginger. Enjoy!

text

1 head purple cauliflower, cut into florets
1 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten free all purpose blend)
2 cups Panko bread crumbs (substitute crushed puffed rice cereal for gluten free)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon granulated garlic
½ teaspoon paprika
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Chives, for garnish (optional)
½ cup vegan mayonnaise
¼ cup Annie Chun’s Thai-Style Sweet Chili Sauce
1-2 tablespoon sriracha hot sauce, to taste
1 teaspoon rice vinegar

Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line two baking trays with parchment paper.

In a bowl, combine the plant milk with vinegar and let sit for 5-10 minutes to make vegan buttermilk. Next, add the olive oil and flour to the vegan buttermilk and whisk to make a batter.

In a second bowl, combine the bread crumbs, salt, granulated garlic, paprika, and cayenne.

Dip each cauliflower floret into the batter to coat, and then into the breadcrumbs, turning to cover. Use a separate fork or hand for each station. Place the breaded cauliflower in a single layer on the baking trays.

Bake the cauliflower for 20-25 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are golden.

While the cauliflower is baking, make the bang bang sauce. Whisk the vegan mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, sriracha, and rice vinegar together until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Serve cauliflower immediately, garnished with minced chives and bang bang sauce for dipping.

text
2 scallions, thinly sliced with greens & whites separated 
1 lb tofu or cubed chicken breast
1 tbsp arrowroot starch
¾ cup Jasmine Rice, cooked according to package instructions
1 Green Bell Pepper, cubed
1 Shallot, finely chopped
⅓ c Pineapple Chunks, roughly chopped
2 tsp. Tomato Paste
2 tbsp Tamari Soy Sauce
¼ c Annie Chun’s Sweet Chili Sauce
¼ c water 
Salt & pepper
Chili flakes (optional)

Toss dried and cubed protein in cornstarch, then season to taste with salt & pepper. Heat 1-2 tbsp of avocado oil on a skillet and cook the protein. Set aside on a paper towel lined plate.

In the same skillet, toss the white parts of the scallions, green bell pepper, shallot, and pineapple chunks over medium heat (replenish oil if needed) and cover for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add in the tomato paste, tamari, sweet chili sauce, and ¼ c water, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.

When ready to serve, season to taste with salt & pepper and coat the cooked protein in the sauce. Place over rice and garnish with green parts of scallions

Let us know how it turns out. :popcorn:

Had some lollipop lamb chops with a saba dijon glaze.

The sauce is da bomb.

Prepare the glaze by whisking 1/2 cup saba and 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard together in a saucepot. Add a thyme sprigs and 2 sage leaves and heat gently over a medium-low burner for 2 minutes, then set the pan aside to cool.

Neve heard of saba before. Thought it was Japanese. But it’s old school Italian. Saba - Ingredient - FineCooking

@Snake this came across my feed and I thought of you.

Only takes me like 2 minutes to order takeout…

Plus, there’s no meat in any of them. No thanks, Chris.

Thanks Kenny!

Apple honey cake for Rosh Hashanah

This is an experiment, based on my mil’s pineapple upside down cake. It’s in the oven now. Wish me luck.

2/3 cup honey
4Tbls butter
2.5 peeled, sliced apples
Handful of slightly dried red currants that were in my fridge

1.5 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs, beaten

1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup milk
Dash lemon juice

300 gms flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice

Garnish: powdered sugar

Line cast iron frying pan with parchment. Butter sides of pan and inside of parchment.

Spread honey evenly in bottom of pan and dot with 4Tbsp butter

Scatter currants evenly over pan
Cover bottom of pan with apple, taking care to make the bottom neat so it will look pretty when decanted.

Cream sugar with additional butter. Add beaten eggs and mix well.

Dissolve soda in milk. Stir in lemon juice and add to wet mixture, beating well to uncurdle it. :wink:

Sift flour and add spices, stir thoroughly. Add to wet ingredients and mix until an even better forms.

Pour batter over apples, and bake at 350F for 45 minutes (or until done).

Serve upside down. Garnish with powdered sugar immediately before serving.

:popcorn:

If I try to make this myself I’m going to have trouble finding a handful of slightly dried red currants that were in your fridge. :thinking:

They were a substitute for the cranberries i wanted to use. So i suggest you try that. I was even thinking of picking some nice pieces out of a can of “whole berry” cranberry sauce, but we didn’t have any. Then i found the currants.

The apple slices don’t have nearly the definition and visual impact of the pineapple slices they replaced, by the way.

(I’m serving this tomorrow, for Rosh Hashanah. So i don’t yet know how it turned out. Except that a surprising amount of the honey came off with the parchment paper.)

Sift? Sounds like a horrible flash back to when I was taking exams.

Sorry. Corrected.

5 Likes

It came out well. It’s really a spice cake with a sweet moist topping.

5 Likes

In the lunch thread, jfg mentioned this dish I never heard of so I googled it. Sounded good, so I decided to try to make it.

My search seemed to indicate it was sometimes called showering rama and sometimes called swimming rama, but both seemed to be the same thing: a peanut coconut based sauce with a little curry and a lot of spinach. It’s rama because the god rama is often depicted as green like the spinach.

I decided to try this recipe first, and it was a hit.

It’s easily as good as you’ll get at some takeout places already. The only modification I made was to add a bit of crushed red pepper to the crockpot before cooking (they suggest adding that after when serving). I’ll make it again. Next time I think I’d add a little more fish sauce and a little more curry paste, but that’s a personal preference thing.

3 Likes

By the way @JFG if you own a crockpot I’d be interested in your review vs the restaurant version. I chose to serve this by putting raw baby spinach and rice on a plate and topping with the saucy chicken, but stirring the spinach into the saucy chicken is another serving suggestion. I elected not to do that, as we were going to have a fair amount of leftovers so I wanted more fresh spinach.

It would require buying several ingredients but maybe I’ll try it sometime.

I posted this recipe elsewhere, but figured I’d put it here too. My family started making cranberry horseradish sauce for thanksgiving several years back, and it’s my favorite style now.

Empty a 12 oz bag of fresh or frozen cranberries into a saucepan and transfer 1/2 cup to a small bowl.
Add 1 cup sugar, 1 strip orange or lemon zest and 2 tablespoons water to the pan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and the cranberries are soft, about 10 minutes.
Increase the heat to medium and cook until the cranberries burst, about 12 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the reserved cranberries.
Fold in 3/4 cup sour cream and 1 to 2 teaspoons horseradish.
Chill before serving.

2 Likes

Canada goose breast on cedar plank:

• Brine breast overnight in saltwater. Change the saltwater at least twice.
  • use your favourite rub or BBQ sauce, slather coating the breast fully.
  • heat charcoal grill. Place breast skin side up on cedar plank.
  • Place plank + breast on the grill.
  • Grill until internal temperature reaches 175 degrees.
  • Remove from grill, cover in tinfoil and let rest for 10 minutes.
  • throw the breast out and eat the cedar plank.
4 Likes

I like goose. Domestic goose. I’ve wondered whether Canada goose is worth eating.

Canada goose is beyond horrible. If you look up how to cook it, the recipes start with ‘its all in how you prepare it’. Thats code for, its nasty and barely edible if you can hide it in enough gravy. I like it less than rabbit.

Or to quote my buddy, ‘im not coming to moose camp again if you serve goose’.

The only reason ill do goose is because they are awesome to hunt. Watching geese flare out and glide in as they land by your decoys is a spectacular sight.

Honestly, they eat the grass on golf courses, and all the poisons that are already on that grass. I wouldn’t want to eat it very often even if it were delicious.

I do like a nice young domestic goose, though.