GoA Chess Tournament #1

The last game that seems like it will make a difference is Tospeke vs AbstractActuary. That one should decide who relegates to group B.

Yeah, these tournaments can take forever. I only join ā€œrandomā€ tournaments if they are 1 day or 3 day tournaments and if they donā€™t allow vacation. Otherwise, ever round takes 0.5-1.0 years.

We also donā€™t want people to lose on time, or because of a vacation. (though isnā€™t playing chess a nice vacation activity?)

One option would be to make the games start simultaneously, instead of subsequently. For example, my second game with Tospeke didnā€™t start until the first ended.

You can also start the next tournament before this one ends. In most cases, the promotions and relegations are obvious enough, even with a number of games outstanding.

Itā€™s something that can get chaotic, but would surely shorten the tournament. With 6 players in a group itā€™s not bad, but Group C is pretty large.

I like that the second game with a player doesnā€™t start until the first game has finished.

Why not just set a timeline for the tournaments? Can you manually close a tournament after 2-3 months? Not sure how much work it is to set these up, but you could say you want to run 4 tournaments a year (or whatever the number is), so set the months that youā€™ll start new ones.

I didnā€™t realize people were still playing the same tournament that started forever ago!

Perhaps the best option is single round robin. This way you donā€™t have too many games, but you donā€™t have to wait until two subsequent games are played among slow players. Our historical tournaments were single round robin.

1 Like

I like the single round robin idea, that way a single slow player doesnā€™t have back to back slow games compounding it.

New tournament going to start up in the first or second week of November.

Unfortunately, there is no single-round robin feature on chess.com

Itā€™s only double round robin. I can start the games at the same time, but there would be 10 games at once for the top groups and even more for group C. What does everyone think?

And officially,

Congrats to our winners of the first GoA chess tournament!

In group C:
BenedictXVI wins first place!
@Rick_Groszkiewicz wins second place!

They will promote to Group B in the next tournament.

In group B:
devilrox wins first place!
@1695814 wins second place!

They will promote to group A in the next tournament.

In group A:
Minnesota and @tospeke are battling it out for the top spot right now in the final match, but they have clinched the top 2!

Things could change based on different circumstances, but the preliminary group A for tourney #2:

Minnesota
@tospeke
@IPD
@MayanActuary
devilrox
@1695814

Things could change based on different circumstances, but the preliminary group B for tourney #2:

@AbstractActuary
@procrastinator
@Bro
@BruteForce
BenedictXVI
@Rick_Groszkiewicz

1 Like

Lol, surprised Iā€™m still in Group B. I think I won like 1 game last tournament.

1 Like

Things could change based on different circumstances, but the preliminary group C for tourney #2:

@Werewolf
@CuriousGeorge
@Grizz - are you golfer6392?
@Macroman
JustChillJoe - Are you on this forum?
@Seasplash
@J0EBL0W
@ALivelySedative
@LususNaturae
@Italian_Halibut
@akial

1 Like

Is there anyone I missed?

Is there anyone that wants to play that hasnā€™t posted here before?

Is there anyone on the list that wants to leave?

Is there anyone on the lists that wants to move down a group?

Yes Iā€™m golfer6392

1 Like

I am happy to play wherever, but would be fine moving down to C if thereā€™s someone more qualified for Group B.

I am ItalianHalibut on Chess.com

1 Like

If thereā€™s a player thatā€™s willing to move down to C, then I wanna recommend golfer6392 to move to Group B. Heā€™s rated over 1,800 in daily mode and heā€™s really good.

I would recommend moving LususNaturae up to at least Group B if not Group Aā€¦ heā€™s around 2000 daily and 2200 blitz

If everyone plays I think we could get 4 groups this time.

If there are 4 groups, Iā€™d like to move down to group C. I feel the same way as Brute Force, I think I only won like 1 game if that.

1 Like