GoA Chess Tournament #1

King moving to the g file hangs the h rook as queen captures with a pin. Last move on that first one

Summary

Qf2. A hard backwards move to spot.

And correct move on the endgame one

Summary

Rg8

The most shocking part of the tournament to me so far is that I didnt lose every match. Thats a victory in my book.

Iā€™ve also heard opposite from games taking too long from the AO days, and I thought 3 days would be reasonable but I completely understand your line of thinking. Does anyone else have any opinions one way or another about time/move?

With the app on the phone, I donā€™t think there should be any issue with forgetting about it. One time I did time out, because I got the notification, and must not have noticed it, and then for some reason my chess.com app did not have the red number, so I never realized it was my turn. But in general, I prefer 1 day games with no vacation allowed, otherwise tournaments take forever.

For some reason, I was thinking we were already down a rook and needed to find a way to get one back or mate.

I agree that 3 days is a good compromise. 5 days can drag on forever- if both people are using their time you could easily have games last 3-6 months.

I recommend the app for your phone. Even if you turn the notifications off, just take an extended bathroom break on Sunday and make one move in all your games that would potentially time out that day.

I saw this too, what a fun moment

Tournament going really well for me thus far, with 4 draws and 2 wins in 6 matches. Though that includes a game vs Mayan where I was lost but we agreed to a draw (woops?) and a game vs Abstract where they played better but I got lucky with a blunder. Also includes my first win ever vs Minnesotah which is cool. (I fully expect to lose my remaining 4 games now that Iā€™ve jinxed myself).

Looks like all the groups thus far have been competitive with every player earning points and not all the promotion spots locked up yet. Good luck everyone

I had a draw against 1695814, which for me was a high point. I just have 2 games going now, so Iā€™m through that initial craziness of a ton of games going at once.

I appear largely to not know what Iā€™m doing. Which is about where I thought I was. :man_shrugging:

I am about to secure this for myself as well. Nobody beats me 9 times in a row!

1 Like

Though I accidentally timed out on the daily chess championship second round with the 24 hour time controlā€¦ 22 losses dropped my rating about 200 points

Ouch, that tournament is taxing. Really easy to make stupid mistakes or forget to log in. Iā€™ll be bowing out in the 2nd round with 3 losses already to players more than 200 rating points lower than mine, though it looks like Iā€™ll secure a point against each of the 2000+ rating players in my group so Iā€™ll consider it a success.

Just signed up for a 3-round one day in-person chess tournament at the end of June. Requirement for all participants to demonstrate they have been vaccinated at least two weeks prior to the tournament. Excited to play over the board again (assuming I can get a vaccine by then, which shouldnā€™t be too hard given itā€™s three months away)

The tournament looks to be coming to a close. We are almost at the point where all players that will be promoted and relegated are known for sure. Soon we can start new groupings and give people a little while to sign up. Iā€™m guessing we will start in early to mid June. But it will be decided. I wonā€™t necessarily wait for every game to finish in this current tournament, but will make a call eventually.

Any thoughts or comments about what you liked/didnā€™t like?

This was great. Nice to have chess.com do the hard work for us.

What I donā€™t like:
-how fast I make my moves and how many blunders I make
-how some games end in a couple days and some take months

1 Like

An easy way to beat me is to play one move at the end of the three days and then wait another three days for your next move. I forget all my plans in these months long games and end up hanging pawns all over the place

So 4 months from when I thought this tournament was coming to a close, it may soon be coming to a close?

Does anyone have thoughts on how to speed things up a bit? 7 months for a tournament is kinda long in my eyes. We could institute a ā€˜no vacationā€™ ruleā€¦thoughts?

Sorry, I think I was one of the slower players, sometimes just forget for a few days. If it helps, you can assume I am going to lose both of my remaining games, I am both behind in both and my opponent has demonstrated he/she is the stronger player.