Go Back To The Office For The Benefit Of Downtown Businesses & Workers

In all seriousness, at home I’ve set up two designated workspaces with a large external monitor in each. One is also used as a den, and the other is a nook in my bedroom, but during the workday i have my choice of two comfortable private offices, depending on which view i prefer, the garden or the bird feeder. If i don’t need the big screen, i can also work at the kitchen table while brewing my tea, or lounge on a couch.

At the office i need to book a shared workspace for the day, and while the spaces are functional enough, i need to wear headphones if i want to talk to anyone who isn’t right next to me. And i find headphones a lot more uncomfortable than masks. I had a lot of ear infections as a kid, and really don’t like stuff in my ear. I also don’t like the “cut off” feeling of over-ear headphones. Because the spaces are shared, i need to spend time setting it up each day. I have to listen to my coworkers’ phone calls and other stuff. I can’t listen to music (unless I’m willing to wear headphones, and it’s not worth it to me.) Snack options are expensive and unhealthy.

If i had a private office at work, i might not dread going back so much. But i don’t.

My favorite lunch places are still there. I’ve been in the office a couple of times because i needed to be in the neighborhood for other reasons, and i did enjoy my overpriced and unhealthy lunch. :wink:

I’m glad I was living in the suburbs during the pandemic. It sure made life a lot less stressful being able to get outside and walk the neighborhood streets. I can’t imagine living in Manhattan high-rise during the pandemic.

I have a private office at work. It’s in a nice suburban office park with lots of trees and undeveloped space. I prefer working from home. But I do like going into the office and collaborating with co-workers face to face, it’s much better than in a Zoom meeting.

1 Like

I’d feel much better about going back to the office if i had an office to go back to.

The funny thing is that i had a nice office in my first, entry-level actuarial job. My work space has basically gone downhill ever since. Styles change.

I don’t want to wear headphones. That sounds terrible.

I don’t want to book a shared space with anyone either. That sounds terrible.

I like my own turf.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9801-Log-Cabin-Ct-Saint-Louis-MO-63124/2773976_zpid/

I wonder if I can claim a business need for that, and buy the house on my company card.

TIL. I was familiar with ‘McMansion Hell’ and the related sub-Reddit, which are also enjoyable.

Me, too. Which is why I’m not looking forward to returning to the office. I’m honestly much more comfortable wearing a mask than headphones, and for that matter, I find that other people in headphones are much less “socially available” than other people wearing masks. I find that the upper face is pretty expressive. Whereas people with headphones may as well be in another room.

Most of my coworkers wore headphones.

Get a Jabra speakerphone

Um, I have one of those. Specifically, I have the wired version of the 750 model. I used to use it when I had my own office. I can’t use it in a cubical because it would drive all my co-workers nuts.

At home I don’t need it, because it turns out the built-in audio of my laptop is sufficient for one person facing the laptop.

I don’t think I’d even have enough to pay for half the fence.

I’m as conservative as makes logical sense. I won’t start mindlessly using dumb talking points. I won’t hate the government, even though it’s necessary for the functioning of a modern country. I won’t subscribe to Christian Nationalism that has seemed to have taken over the GOP. Honestly, it would be nice if a reasonable conservative party existed in this country with a reasonable oppositional liberal party. For now, I will have to live with the Democrats trying to be both at the same time because the GOP is full of lunatics. Hell, last night I watched one of these crazies call for the assassination of a foreign head of state on national television.

3 Likes

I’d call myself a conservative if it isn’t synonymous with theocracy at this point.

4 Likes

:roll_eyes:

otoh…

VIVA CRISTO REY!

1 Like