Go Back To The Office For The Benefit Of Downtown Businesses & Workers

This is a rare situation where I generally agree with Ranger’s position. However, I don’t agree with the basement and ice cream comments. That’s just partisan hackery.

5 Likes

:iatp:

I almost gave Ranger’s post a :heart:, until I came to that part.

3 Likes

It’s in the “talking points” handbook. He’s gotta say them. Or else.

The Kool-Aid compels some folks to say certain things.

Embrace your inner-conservative/libertarian. You know it’s in there. Throw off the shackles of liberal dogma. You’ll find it very liberating. It’s a sensation much like walking around the office without a mask.

2 Likes

Well, I do plan on visiting the museum I usually like hanging out at.

That said, many museums have taken the opportunity to digitize collections and provide access that is not tied to the physical location. One is going to have to do something if people don’t go back to that place.

Many downtowns got hollowed out over decades for a variety of places, as work migrated with cars to suburban office parks from parking-bereft downtowns, which then got developed again over years, and then had this huge shock over a very short period.

Maybe people will go back, but whether they go back will not be dependent on politicians exhorting them to go back, most likely.

I believe “tourist” places like museums will be fine over time.

The bigger problem will be lunch places, after work drink places and other shops the local workers would frequent

2 Likes

IFYP

4 Likes

My inner libertarian rolls its eyes at rehashing Fox News talking points.

3 Likes

Is this actually a thing, or was it one line plucked from the sotu address? Because i hadn’t heard of it until i came upon this thread.

:rofl:

1 Like

It’s not any policy being pushed, but it was definitely a talking point in the SOTU. Kind of a save our downtowns appeal.

So it will make you feel like you are about to get sick? Sounds about right.

You mean, narrow and confining? I am SO much happier working from home.

This made me laugh bc it’s so true.

Your office is smaller than your home???

Wow, that’s a small office building.

My cube at work is far, far smaller than my workspace at home.

If i want to take a break and walk around at home, i have a lot of attractive tree-lined suburban streets. If i try to walk outdoors at work I’ll spend most of my time waiting for lights to change.

I will say, the pandemic has made me really appreciate the benefits of suburban living.

You ever see Friday Night Zillow and some of the really ostentatious homes? Lucy has one of those. Something about Peanuts royalties.

Commentary on taste withheld at this time.

1 Like

I heard the places I used to lunch at are gone, but I guess that will save me some money. I will just bring lunch with me.

I’m definitely glad I wasn’t living in my old 2-bedroom apt in Queens these last 2 years.