Gardens

Anybody here garden?

wife does as much as reasonable on a 6 × 12 deck

I grow some fruits and flowers. I also have a couple of tomato plants and some lettuce, parsley, scallions, and chives.

I understood that reference

I like Sound Garden.

1 Like

Two raised bed gardens. Tomatoes, peppers, radishes, dill, oregano, marjoram, carrots and beans this year. I rent another raised bed at a community garden and raise beets for pickling.
This year I’m fertilizing them once a week. Apparently it’s supposed to make a noticeable difference. We’ll see.
Good news, normaly I have to cover the gardens with netting or the wabbits raze the garden. So far this year, no netting, and all plants remain unscathed (with the exeption of the one pepper plant that I ‘weeded’ yesterday).

1 Like

My dog tried her paw at gardening. Someone was very displeased to discover one of her peonies was relocated.

Yes

I have a hop garden - I just planted the rhizomes last week
My neighbor has a rich garden that he tends to throughout the day (he also allowed me to plant a few hop rhizomes). I’ll snap a picture of it and post it.

My little garden in Nashville must have had some bug - tomatos and peppers didn’t come thru very nice at all. The kale didn’t come back, the watermelons were all white on the inside.

I plant stuff every year and then forget to water. Or I do really well at watering until I leave town for an SOA meeting.

This year I bought pansies and couldn’t even keep them alive. My new plan is to plant native grasses in my flower beds…

My husband has planted some vegetables in our backyard, and is working on the front. I just hope I get some tomatoes and peppers this year.

Lots of potatoes. Also some peas, green beans, asparagus and some years sweet corn

I won’t grow potatoes. They’re stupid. Dig to put them in. Dig to hill them. Dig again to hill them. Dig again to harvest them. And what’s the result? Potatoes. No thanks.
I still get potatoes in my garden every year though, I think because I turn our kitchen compost into the garden every year.

I also had a sea of green this year, like everywhere. At first I was thinking wth, did I plant carrots all over the place? Turns out it was dill. I composted the dill plants from last year into the garden and they came up everywhere.

Neighbors garden

The pole in front - middle of the tree is my hop pole

I think I’m gonna grow some basil this year. Really wanna make some basil olive oil garlic dip.

Yeah, just about time to get planting. I plant a LOT of beets (because I pickle them) and they’re cold weather so soon time to get the seeds in the ground.
I have two 4X8 raised gardens in my side yard, and I rent another raised bed at a community place (I plant that whole plot with beets). This year I was planning on trying out some herbs, but my spouse has ‘ordered’ a lot of carrots. I tried to get a second plot at the community garden, no dice. So I think my herb garden is a dead idea this year.
So we’ll have:

• beets
  • dill (for my dill pickles)
  • beans
  • carrots
  • radishes
  • tomatoes
  • likely some peppers
    and that about taps me out in terms of space. I mentioned a third plot in the side yard and received a rather rude reception to that idea lol.
1 Like

My retired neighbor helped me get a garden going this year. Its a smaller version of his picture I posted last year. So far I have

• 4 hop plants
  • 3 corn
  • 3 types of tomatoes
  • 2 peppers
  • 5 strawberries
  • row of carrots
  • several sweet potatos
  • Kale
  • Spinach
  • Lettuce
  • trying to find a blueberry or blackberry bush
  • beets sound fun @SpaceLobster - If I see those I will grab a plant
    I’ve been cutting off a few pieces of the lettuce and spinach daily to put onto my lunch sandwich. Its been fun.
3 Likes

Strawberries take a couple of years I think. Never had luck with corn. Potatoes are just stupid. Dig to plant. Dig to hill. Dig to hill. Dig them out. Dig dig dig. Tried it, didn’t like it. (though the potatoes fresh from the garden are one of the best ‘fresh’ vegetables you can grow).
I was doing spinach, because I like spinach. But a couple years ago we had leaf borers. I didn’t know what they were. I’m sitting down to have a huge bowl of spinach with butter + vinegar, and I see a white grub. Then I see a bunch of white grubs (they came out of the leaves when cooked). So, no more growing spinach for me thanks lol.
Carrots, I had a great crop last year, but I found that they take so long to harvest. They really need to stay in the ground until like september/october.
But, good on you for doing this. There’s a surprising amount to learn, and I’m no expert.
Last year I learned two things. 1) miracle grow makes a huge difference. I’ve never fertilized before, and now, I will always fertilize 2) you have to trim and prune tomatoes, it makes a huge difference. I didn’t know that until last year.

1 Like

A garden is on my to-do list, but it’s nowhere near the top of the pile. Last night I did acquire a small antique cast iron planter that we’ll use for herbs.

We have some chives that came with the house and they’re already growing. I usually do basil, thyme, rosemary, and oregano. I might see if I can find lemongrass, we’ve been eating a fair amount and it’s super expensive at the store.

Do the carrots do ok in a raised bed?